PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Reskinning the Giff as Black Powder Dwarfs?

Wasp
2022-09-07, 05:38 PM
I really like the fire-arm affinity of the new 5e Giff, but I am not that into playing as a hippo. However, to me almost all Giff abilities except for the swim speed feel like a perfect fit for a Dwarf.

So I was thinking to create a new Dwarf Race, let's call 'em Black Powder Dwarfs by Reskinning the Giff:

Black Powder Dwarf

Size: You are Medium.

Speed: Your walking speed is 30 feet, and you have a swimming speed equal to your walking speed.

Spark of the Forge: When you hit a target with a simple or martial weapon, you can cause the target to take extra force damage equal to your proficiency bonus.
You can use this trait a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, but you can use it no more than once per turn. You regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

Firearms Mastery: You have proficiency with all firearms and ignore the loading property of any firearm. In addition, attacking at long range with a firearm doesn’t impose disadvantage on your attack roll.

Dwarven Build: You have advantage on Strength-based ability checks and Strength saving throws. In addition, you count as one size larger when determining your carrying capacity and the weight you can push, drag, or lift.

I would just drop the swim speed I guess, or do you have any other good idea what could be an appropriate substitution? Or would you drop "Dwarven Build"/"Hippo Build" as well?

Or do you have any fun Lore ideas to make them a bit more interesting? I would cut all ties to Spelljammer and the Astral Sea?

Damon_Tor
2022-09-07, 07:56 PM
I really like the fire-arm affinity of the new 5e Giff, but I am not that into playing as a hippo. However, to me almost all Giff abilities except for the swim speed feel like a perfect fit for a Dwarf.

So I was thinking to create a new Dwarf Race, let's call 'em Black Powder Dwarfs by Reskinning the Giff:

Black Powder Dwarf

Size: You are Medium.

Speed: Your walking speed is 30 feet, and you have a swimming speed equal to your walking speed.

Spark of the Forge: When you hit a target with a simple or martial weapon, you can cause the target to take extra force damage equal to your proficiency bonus.
You can use this trait a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, but you can use it no more than once per turn. You regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

Firearms Mastery: You have proficiency with all firearms and ignore the loading property of any firearm. In addition, attacking at long range with a firearm doesn’t impose disadvantage on your attack roll.

Dwarven Build: You have advantage on Strength-based ability checks and Strength saving throws. In addition, you count as one size larger when determining your carrying capacity and the weight you can push, drag, or lift.

I would just drop the swim speed I guess, or do you have any other good idea what could be an appropriate substitution? Or would you drop "Dwarven Build"/"Hippo Build" as well?

Or do you have any fun Lore ideas to make them a bit more interesting? I would cut all ties to Spelljammer and the Astral Sea?

I disagree with putting swim speeds on a hippo race in the first place. Here's what Giff get at my table instead:

Reduced Buoyancy Instead of swimming, you can choose to sink to the bottom of a watery environment at a rate of up to 30 feet per round (this sinking does not cost movement). While touching the ground beneath the water, you can walk along the bottom using your normal movement speed, and can effectively jump as well. In addition, you can hold your breath for 10 minutes longer than normal.

Wasp
2022-09-08, 01:49 PM
I think I will drop Dwarven Build and Swim Speed and give them Darkvision and Dwarven Relience against Poison to align them better with the other Dwarfs!