PDA

View Full Version : Psychic Warrior questions

zaei
2007-11-29, 06:28 PM
I've got a couple of questions about Psychic Warrior powers and feats.

1) Can you attack with Claws of the Beast in the same round as using the bite from Bite of the Wolf?

2) I was looking in Complete Psionic, and noticed the feat "Skin of the Construct", which allows you to absorb an Astral Construct into yourself, gaining a choice from Menu A of the Astral Construct listing that you can use as if you were the construct. One of the abilities on Menu A is Trip, which allows you to make a trip attempt when you hit with a slam attack, no AoO, no trip attempt from opponent if you fail. My question is, can I use this ability even if I don't have a slam attack?

3) Is the above combo, even without the trip power, worth two feats (Expanded Knowledge, and Skin of the Construct) for the ability to swap out a couple of useful feats and abilities (namely, Power Attack, Improved Natural Attack, Flight among others)?

Thanks!

tyckspoon
2007-11-29, 07:12 PM
I've got a couple of questions about Psychic Warrior powers and feats.

1) Can you attack with Claws of the Beast in the same round as using the bite from Bite of the Wolf?

2) I was looking in Complete Psionic, and noticed the feat "Skin of the Construct", which allows you to absorb an Astral Construct into yourself, gaining a choice from Menu A of the Astral Construct listing that you can use as if you were the construct. One of the abilities on Menu A is Trip, which allows you to make a trip attempt when you hit with a slam attack, no AoO, no trip attempt from opponent if you fail. My question is, can I use this ability even if I don't have a slam attack?

3) Is the above combo, even without the trip power, worth two feats (Expanded Knowledge, and Skin of the Construct) for the ability to swap out a couple of useful feats and abilities (namely, Power Attack, Improved Natural Attack, Flight among others)?

Thanks!

1. Yes. Bite of the Wolf says "...instead of or in addition to any other attacks you have," and later clarifies that if you use it along with other weapons, it's a secondary attack. With both powers manifested, your full attack routine would be Claw (full strength bonus)/ Claw (full strength bonus)/ Bite (half strength bonus, -5 to hit.)

2. Strictly by the text, no. The ability requires a Slam attack, you have no Slam, you can't use it. Ask your DM to let you do it anyway; it's not an unreasonable request.

3. There are worse things you could do with two feats, but remember that using Skin of the Construct requires you to spend a round manifesting it and expend your psionic focus. If you're planning to use Power Attack or Improved Natural Attack regularly, you're probably better off taking those feats normally so you don't have to burn an extra round buffing to get them. The various movement options are probably the best things to fish out of the A list.

Lemur
2007-11-29, 07:16 PM
-Yes. One natural attack routine would be primary, and the other would be secondary. Such as you would attack at full BAB with two claws, then bite at -5.

-By RAW you can't, for whatever that's worth. It may be worth asking your DM about using it with other natural attacks, however (bite attacks from bite of the wolf seems like it should be particularly applicable to this, for example).

-This is more subjective, but I'd say it sounds like a worthwhile utililty combo. Although psychic warriors don't have a large power point reserve, Astral Construct can still be useful in its own right. Also, gaining a fly or swim speed for 1 power point can't be a bad thing, especially considering that flight powers are considerably harder to obtain for psychic warriors.

zaei
2007-11-29, 11:29 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Pretty much what I was expecting, and I will probably ask the DM about #2.

Even without being able to Trip, though, 1 PP seems pretty good for some of the abilities on that list. I will probably end up taking INA as a feat, but Power Attack or Bullrush when I need it, along with the movement abilities seems pretty worthwhile.

Thanks!