PDA

View Full Version : Spell Scroll Rules

RSP
2022-09-08, 12:25 PM
So I’m diving into the spell scroll rules, really for the first time and noticed an issue with their use.

For reference:

“A spell scroll bears the words of a single spell, written in a mystical cipher. If the spell is on your class’s spell list, you can read the scroll and cast its spell without providing any material Components. Otherwise, the scroll is unintelligible. Casting the spell by reading the scroll requires the spell’s normal Casting Time. Once the spell is cast, the words on the scroll fade, and it crumbles to dust. If the casting is interrupted, the scroll is not lost.

If the spell is on your class’s spell list but of a higher level than you can normally cast, you must make an ability check using your Spellcasting ability to determine whether you cast it successfully. The DC equals 10 + the spell’s level. On a failed check, the spell disappears from the scroll with no other Effect.

The level of the spell on the scroll determines the spell’s saving throw DC and Attack bonus, as well as the scroll’s Rarity, as shown in the Spell Scroll table.”

So, first thing that jumps out at me is you probably need to use an item interaction to get the scroll in hand, so the majority of Reaction spells (Counterspell, Shield, AE, Hellish Rebuke, etc), don’t make for good Scrolls (as you can’t grab them out as part of the Reaction). Also, if you use your free item interaction on something else, you can’t use a scroll as well, that turn (barring something like a BA to do an interaction). I’m assuming you could use a Reaction scroll so long as you think ahead to already have it in hand, though.

I don’t see anything in the rules that states you can access the physical scroll as part of the Action to cast the spell from it, but I could be missing something. I see it as similar to your weapon not just popping into your hand when you attack: you need to use an interaction to draw it first.

That sound right?

PhoenixPhyre
2022-09-08, 01:14 PM
Sounds right to me. Need a free hand and an interaction to pull it out, which works fine as part of using it on your turn.

Pyrophilios
2022-09-08, 01:40 PM
There are some ways around this: Plaster scrolls inside your shield or on your staff, have your familiar ready actions to hold scrolls out for you (or homunculus or tiny servant, etc.)

All that is required is that you can actually read the scroll. Otherwise, spell tattoos might be the better option.

Monster Manuel
2022-09-08, 01:51 PM
I agree with your interpretation, and also, I think you are spot on with your reading of the RAW making reaction spells much less useful on a scroll.

The RAW doesn't actually require that you hold/wield/etc the scroll, though, just that you have to read it. So, having an unseen servant carry a feather fall scroll for you, just in case you might need it quicker than you could reach into your pack and pull it out, should be reasonable. Similarly, I would think an eldritch knight should be able to paste a Shield scroll to the inside of their actual shield to read off in an emergency.

So, there could be shenanigans you might perpetrate to get around the need to pull out a scroll prior to reading it, but in general yeah, this would be a requirement.

*Edit* Ninja'd by pyrophilios

RSP
2022-09-09, 10:56 AM
Thank you all for the responses

Segev
2022-09-10, 01:12 AM
Arguably a case for Keen Mind being really useful here: look at the scroll ahead of time, then read it aloud from your perfect memory later, when you need it. The scroll loses its magic from within your scroll case, not needing to be pulled out for you to see it again.

Witty Username
2022-09-10, 11:49 PM
While not supported by RAW, I think it would be reasonable to treat a scroll like a material component or focus, therefore only requiring the free hand to whip it out. Things to ask your DM about.