PDA

View Full Version : Scourge Aasimar Twilight Cleric?

anamiac
2022-09-09, 04:23 PM
Hey, I've got some questions about how some of these ability work - or don't work - together.

Steps of Night
Starting at 6th level, you can draw on the mystical power of night to rise into the air. As a bonus action when you are in dim light or darkness, you can magically give yourself a flying speed equal to your walking speed for 1 minute. You can use this bonus action a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

Radiant Consumption. Starting at 3rd level, you can use your action to unleash the divine energy within yourself, causing a searing light to radiate from you, pour out of your eyes and mouth, and threaten to char you.

Your transformation lasts for 1 minute or until you end it as a bonus action. During it, you shed bright light in a 10-foot radius and dim light for an additional 10 feet, and at the end of each of your turns, you and each creature within 10 feet of you take radiant damage equal to half your level (rounded up). In addition, once on each of your turns, you can deal extra radiant damage to one target when you deal damage to it with an attack or a spell. The extra radiant damage equals your level.

Once you use this trait, you can't use it again until you finish a long rest.

Channel Divinity: Twilight Sanctuary
At 2nd level, you can use your Channel Divinity to refresh your allies with soothing twilight.

As an action, you present your holy symbol, and a sphere of twilight emanates from you. The sphere is centered on you, has a 30-foot radius, and is filled with dim light. The sphere moves with you, and it lasts for 1 minute or until you are incapacitated or die. Whenever a creature (including you) ends its turn in the sphere, you can grant that creature one of these benefits:

You grant it temporary hit points equal to 1d6 plus your cleric level.
You end one effect on it causing it to be charmed or frightened.

So...

If I'm flying around at night using Steps of Night, and I get attacked by vampire bats and activate Radiant Consumption, do I fall from the sky?
Can I have both Twilight Sanctuary and Radiant Consumption active at the same time? Would an ally who remained within 10 feet of me be exposed to both effects?
If I'm walking around in broad daylight, and I activate Twilight Sanctuary, can I then qualify as being in dim light for the purpose of activating Steps of Night?

Inevitability
2022-09-09, 04:38 PM
1. Steps of Night only requires you to be in dim light when you activate the ability, not while you use it, as far as I can tell. Changing lighting conditions should not affect it.

2. The effects do not have conflicting prerequisites, only conflicting effects, so both could be active at the same time. It seems to me like the most logical consequence is that you're emanating bright light for 10 ft. and then dim light for 20 more feet. The effects on allies are separate and do not rely on lighting in any way, so I'd assume they both apply.

3. Ask your DM: this would depend on whether the sphere merely sheds dim light (like a candle would) or actively suppresses bright light. Both could make sense, considering the class's flavor. I don't think there's an actual ruling on the matter, and tons of people are seen asking the same thing online.