PDA

View Full Version : AD&D 2nd Ed Augury and Curses

LibraryOgre
2022-09-10, 11:40 AM
So, 2nd level cleric spell Augury. If you cast the spell, and ask "Will I suffer a curse if I use this item?", and succeed in your roll, will the spell tell you correctly if it is cursed?

Telok
2022-09-10, 01:49 PM
So, 2nd level cleric spell Augury. If you cast the spell, and ask "Will I suffer a curse if I use this item?", and succeed in your roll, will the spell tell you correctly if it is cursed?

"Woe" if its a straight up bad curse (-4 armor of can't take it off). "Weal and woe" if its a mixed blessing (sword of -2 to hit but teleports to your had at initative roll means you're never unarmed iff you can still manage to use half decent ranged weapons while carrying it). Cryptic otherwise (+5 vorpal sword of cursed beserking = "the lonely undying conqurerer wins all battles on a throne of heads").

Thet dropped a resource and made a roll. They get directly and immedately useful info.

GenericFighter
2022-09-10, 10:12 PM
Don't forget that the answers to an Augury aren't 'factual', they are the moral guidance of the contacted god. So- for instance- if you find a magic book that will give the wizard enough XP to go up a level, but your god doesn't like wizardly magic and you ask what happens if the wizard reads the book, the answer will probably be 'woe'.

Beelzebub1111
2022-09-12, 05:32 AM
From what I understand you can't ask specific yes/no questions of Augury. Just "Will we gain benefit or be harmed if we take a specific action in the next half hour"

For example, if the question is “Will we do well if we venture to
the third level?” and a terrible troll guarding 10,000 sp and a shield
+1 lurks near the entrance to the level (which the DM estimates the
party could beat after a hard fight), the augury might be: “Great risk
brings great reward.” If the troll is too strong for the party, the augury
might be: “Woe and destruction await!”

To me this says "What will happen if we use this item?" if it's actually a potion of poison it will clearly say "Woe" vs using a cursed silver sword when you'll fight a devil in the next half hour might be "Weal and Woe". While in a safe environment you'll get something more vauge since you don't know if you'll be fighting anything with it.

So it could be good if you're in a dungeon and need a quick answer, and it isn't safe for you wizard to lose 8 con for the identify in the next 8 hours.

Lord Torath
2022-09-12, 10:38 AM
"Woe" if its a straight up bad curse (-4 armor of can't take it off). "Weal and woe" if its a mixed blessing (sword of -2 to hit but teleports to your hand at initiative roll means you're never unarmed if you can still manage to use half decent ranged weapons while carrying it). Cryptic otherwise (+5 vorpal sword of cursed beserkering = "the lonely undying conqurerer wins all battles on a throne of heads").

They dropped a resource and made a roll. They get directly and immediately useful info.I'll agree with this!