PDA

View Full Version : What if True Strike targeted multiple creatures?

Mastikator
2022-09-11, 06:56 AM
Yes, it's "fix true strike" 'o clock.

I had an idea for how to make True Strike be a decent cantrip, make it target two creatures instead of one. At level 5 it targets 3 creatures, 4 at 11 and 5 at 17.

Is it worth taking with this buff? Would you take and cast it?

Chronos
2022-09-11, 06:59 AM
...How would this even work? You attack one creature, but have advantage against four of them? It applies to your next four attacks in the next round, but only if you target four creatures? Your next attack hits all four creatures at once?

H_H_F_F
2022-09-11, 07:02 AM
Yes, it's "fix true strike" 'o clock.

I had an idea for how to make True Strike be a decent cantrip, make it target two creatures instead of one. At level 5 it targets 3 creatures, 4 at 11 and 5 at 17.

Is it worth taking with this buff? Would you take and cast it?

Does it still apply only to attack rolls made the next turn? If so, it won't be relevant for many potential users.

It's a nice bump in power, but I'm not sure that it helps True Strike become relevant.

Mind you, I like True Strike, despite it being bad. I think it's sometimes useful for something you really need to hit - plane shift, for instance.

Beni-Kujaku
2022-09-11, 07:02 AM
...How would this even work? You attack one creature, but have advantage against four of them? It applies to your next four attacks in the next round, but only if you target four creatures? Your next attack hits all four creatures at once?

I'm pretty sure he meant it being a party buff. At level 5 you can gain advantage and give advantage to an ally, then 2, then 3. Would still be a hard sell, but the ability to give advantage to the barbarian may make it worth an action.

Mastikator
2022-09-11, 07:11 AM

"You extend your hand and point a finger at a target in range". Change from target to targets. Next attack against each one has advantage.

PhantomSoul
2022-09-11, 09:21 AM
"You extend your hand and point a finger at a target in range". Change from target to targets. Next attack against each one has advantage.

Hm... but is it one pointing per hand, or can all of your fingers on one hand be pointing? So much to adjudicate! =D

stoutstien
2022-09-11, 09:26 AM
Hm... but is it one pointing per hand, or can all of your fingers on one hand be pointing? So much to adjudicate! =D
Spirit fingers obviously.

PhantomSoul
2022-09-11, 09:45 AM
Spirit fingers obviously.

Ah, so Astral Monks with True Strike. Makes sense; they get the extra Attacks!

Segev
2022-09-11, 10:11 AM
My suggestion remains to change it to say you cannot have disadvantage and gain advantage on the requisite attack. I would also make its range "sight." Still niche, since you still have to spend a round setting it up, but now it is good for snipers, for example. If something is imposing disadvantage, you can use this to negate it.

Of course, for the action cost and the need to maintain concentration within the range the spell currently has, replacing "advantage" with "you roll a twenty on the die and thus score an automatic critical hit" would not be too out of bounds. Remember: you're having to get two rounds' damage out of it. And if your concentration is broken, you lose it. So while it is better than "every other round, if you hit, you crit" it still isn't too much better.

TaiLiu
2022-09-11, 04:10 PM
I think it would be good as a party buff. People like bless and guiding bolt and faerie fire—yours would be a cantrip version. In fact it has a small advantage over the latter two, since those affected couldn't defend against it.

animorte
2022-09-11, 04:50 PM
One of the biggest complaints about true strike is that it uses up your action to provide advantage, where it can be achieved in different ways without compromising your action economy. But making it a bonus action is perhaps too strong. Personally, I have never had much a problem with it. Every spell has a time and place.

My first suggestion is to essentially make it just like many of the current damage cantrips with riders. It's basically the exact opposite of vicious mockery with giving yourself advantage vs giving the target disadvantage on the next turn attack roll. Slap on 1d4 (or 1d6) scaling damage and a save. Win.

My second suggestion that I also like is just allowing you to cast it on an ally within 30 feet that way it can be a low resource to provide reliable advantage to anybody in your team at any time, instead of just yourself. This could be worth it for a support based class that doesn't lose out on as much from one action to almost guarantee one of the damage dealers that damage.

Or what if it functioned similarly to booming blade and green-flame blade in which you cast the spell and make an attack as part of that action?
- Then, believe it or not, it gets weaker. It would restrict you only to melee attacks. As it is, it currently allows you to gain advantage on any attack roll against that particular opponent, whatever their range may be. They only need to be within 30 feet upon targeting them originally.
- I think we can agree nobody wants to restrict it only to melee PCs, most of which don't have spells, and others have better use for their cantrips anyway.

Alternatively, we could try it as a first level spell that functions the same as bless. It would provide the same advantage to you and allies, but each person would need to use it by the end of their next turn. Again there are plenty of other spells that can give your entire team advantage while having other great effects, blah blah, etc.

Witty Username
2022-09-11, 05:57 PM
So it still only lasts one round, so the caster would need multiple attacks to gain a benefit, beyond target selection. Going this route I would prefer if it targeted "self" granting your next attack advantage. I don't think it changes much.

I have experimented with making true strike a bonus action (and allowing it to apply to attacks made in the same round, but that is more a wording cleaning). It seems to work pretty well.

Sigreid
2022-09-11, 06:13 PM
I think if you could cast it on another person so it could be cast on the party rogue or fighter, for example it would be a fine cantrip. If it took concentration, could be cast on another person and last a round, it would be a fine first level spell.

Kane0
2022-09-12, 01:46 AM
Neat concept, its like a ranged Help action for more allies as you level.

Gignere
2022-09-12, 08:49 AM
I think we should just reword true strike to what the blade cantrips has, as part of the casting make one weapon attack with advantage. This way it doesn’t take a bonus action and unfortunately doesn’t work with spells but you can now add extra damage at higher level. Maybe an extra d4 - d6 damage on the same progression as the blade trips.