PDA

View Full Version : Templars of the Arcane Order

Arkhios
2022-09-11, 11:42 PM
Mind keeps racing again, and I can't help it. Might be because I'm about to start a new 5e campaign after a very long while.

Anyway, I was thinking of a small tweak to the Paladin class (my DM has hinted showing green light if I can show him that this can be done without breaking the class [any further]), changing them from being a divinely oriented class to arcane class, but mainly changing the flavor, not the mechanics all that much.

How would you rename and/or tweak the various paladin features with the mention towards divine with as little changes to how the class functions as possible? On a superficial level I feel that swapping the word Divine with Arcane should be enough in most cases (for example, it's relatively easy to call Divine Smite as Arcane Smite, without changing anything but the name), but things like Channel Divinity and Divine Sense, Divine Health, etc. might need a bit more to feel different yet maintain the same functionality.

One big change I was going to implement, however, is to change the class key ability from Charisma to Intelligence, and renaming Oaths as Orders (starting with three from my own campaign lore that I wish to import as part of my character background: Orders of Chain, Flame, and Tome; more on them below in spoilers). However, since Charisma is as strong ability score as it is, and Intelligence is one of the worst, if not the worst ability score mechanically, I should say this change is almost a small nerf, rather than a boost to existing rules.

Ideas for class ability name changes so far (some may need their descriptive text adjusted)

Divine Sense -> Sense Supernatural
Lay on Hands -> Swift Remedy
(Improved) Divine Smite -> (Improved) Arcane Smite
Blessed Warrior Fighting Style -> Arcane Warrior Mage Warrior Fighting Style (Cantrips from Wizard)
Divine Health -> Inured Resilience
Sacred Oath -> Arcane Order

Oath Spells -> Order Spells
Channel Divinity -> Siphon Arcana

Aura of Protection (works as is, but Intelligence instead of Charisma)
Cleansing Touchs -> Purge Magic

Changes to Proficiencies
Armor: light armor, medium armor, heavy armor, shields
Weapons: simple weapons, martial weapons
Tools: none
Saving Throws: Intelligence, Wisdom, Charisma
Skills: Choose 2 from Arcana, Athletics, Insight, Intimidation, Medicine, and Persuasion, and Religion.

The so called "Ordo Arcana Antiqua" is a templar knight brotherhood whose agenda is to search and collect ancient arcane texts and knowledge within to safeguard, supervise, and serve the mankind in terms of magic use. To many their methods seem suspicious at best and many are opposed to their existence and purpose.

Inside the brotherhood there are three distinct orders that each have a slightly different ideology and follow different sets of methodology.

Chain maintains the idea that it is their duty to supervise and control the use of magic, and are the most militant and orderly of the orders. Oath of Conquest would be perhaps the best analogy for this.

Flame believes that their purpose is to serve mankind, offering their magical expertise to those in need. They are the most open-minded and welcoming. Oath of Redemption could work with minor changes.

Tome believes that all magic is dangerous, and seek to hoard and safeguard the knowledge at all costs to prevent any future disasters. They are by far the most secretively. Oath of Watchers would be the best analogy for this.

Mastikator
2022-09-12, 04:05 AM
Change their spell list from paladin to wizard, give them a spellbook and let them learn spells at half wizard rate. Prepare like a wizard too, cast with an arcane focus. No ritual casting though. Replace starting item holy symbol with component pouch.

Dunno if it's too powerful. Could add some utility spells from wizard to the paladin list and let them use the paladin list, but still with a spell book.

Edit- I think the addition of a spell book and arcane focus does a lot to change the theme, and it is a stealth nerf since they now much choose what spells to have the option to prepare. Having spells like Shield may balance that back up.

Silly Name
2022-09-12, 05:32 AM
Blessed Warrior Fighting Style -> Arcane Warrior Fighting Style (Cantrips from Wizard)

This is the only debatable change, since until the Paladin gets Extra Attack they're basically encouraged to just spam GFB/Booming Blade, without having to spend any class or build resources.

Change their spell list from paladin to wizard,

No. Just... No. Paladins have their own list, not the Cleric list. A Paladin with access to the Wizard's spell list not only receives a huge powerboost, they also lose the extra flavour given to them by having a tailor-made selection of spells.

give them a spellbook and let them learn spells at half wizard rate. Prepare like a wizard too, cast with an arcane focus. No ritual casting though. Replace starting item holy symbol with component pouch.

Tbh, this is a nerf, but not too bad. Still, why not just give them the Ranger's progression of spells known?

Arkhios
2022-09-12, 06:29 AM
This is the only debatable change, since until the Paladin gets Extra Attack they're basically encouraged to just spam GFB/Booming Blade, without having to spend any class or build resources.
That's fair. I suppose they could get them from Cleric spell list as normal for Blessed Warrior, just labelled as arcane spells (as much as it actually matters, which isn't a lot), or they could gain Wizard Cantrips, but restricted to certain schools (e.g. excluding evocation).

No. Just... No. Paladins have their own list, not the Cleric list. A Paladin with access to the Wizard's spell list not only receives a huge powerboost, they also lose the extra flavour given to them by having a tailor-made selection of spells.
Yeeaaaah, about that... let's have a class able to smite the crap out of you to the moon to also cast fireballs and lightning bolts! ...I'm just kidding, I don't want that, and that was never my intent.

Tbh, this is a nerf, but not too bad. Still, why not just give them the Ranger's progression of spells known?
Actually, I was thinking about giving them a spellbook like a wizard, so technically their list of spells learned by level would be fairly narrow, very close to having spells known limit; otherwise they'd prepare and cast like normal for paladins.

Burley
2022-09-12, 09:14 AM
Actually, I was thinking about giving them a spellbook like a wizard, so technically their list of spells learned by level would be fairly narrow, very close to having spells known limit; otherwise they'd prepare and cast like normal for paladins.

I know, when you're just makin' stuff for fun, this seems like a power increase, but spellbooks in play are frustrating as heck. Paladins (as written) know every paladin spell automatically and they just have to prepare them. Wizards spell list is bigger and stronger, but the wizard only gets a handful of spells in their book "automatically" and everything else they have to buy, research or copy from another book. It's a hassle and, in my experience, one of those metal balls chained to a cartoon convict. Spells become expensive investment items that eat into your potion, weapon and armor money, which you'll need because you still seem to want the Paladin to function as a front-line defender.

It will always be better for a Paladin to do what they do and have a Wizard behind them buffin' and burn-ballin'.

Arkhios
2022-09-12, 10:41 AM
I know, when you're just makin' stuff for fun, this seems like a power increase, but spellbooks in play are frustrating as heck. Paladins (as written) know every paladin spell automatically and they just have to prepare them. Wizards spell list is bigger and stronger, but the wizard only gets a handful of spells in their book "automatically" and everything else they have to buy, research or copy from another book. It's a hassle and, in my experience, one of those metal balls chained to a cartoon convict. Spells become expensive investment items that eat into your potion, weapon and armor money, which you'll need because you still seem to want the Paladin to function as a front-line defender.

It will always be better for a Paladin to do what they do and have a Wizard behind them buffin' and burn-ballin'.

Do note however, that I maintain no such fallacy that having spellbook would be a power increase. On the contrary, I realize it's not, and that it can be burdensome. But I'm looking at this from flavor perspective, rather than from power perspective. I'm totally fine with this variant being less powerful than a normal paladin. Having spellbook would fit the lore I had in mind, more than just "knowing every spell from your list from the get-go". Neither did I mean that you'd choose your spells from Wizard list just because you have a spellbook. They'd still choose their spells from the Paladin spell list.

And for the record, I intend to actually play one myself, assuming my DM shows green light on this. And I'm all game for that extra hassle. I might even remove access to spell focus from the variant, or make them use the spellbook as one. Very much limiting the options as is available for a Paladin in combat.

PhantomSoul
2022-09-12, 10:42 AM
(I say it later in the post, but I think my main point of uncertainty is what the goal is -- it seems to be framed as a refluff to fit a theme, but then creates a class for it? That might be framing, but I'm just not sure what the scope of homebrew is. I think the biggest power concern would be Multiclassing intent or trying to grab a specific set of Spells. Sorcerer instead of Wizard as the Spell List source is roughly equivalent at the half-Caster point.)

Divine Sense -> Sense Supernatural

Sure -- but it's just a name swap, so doesn't really exist "in the world" the same way since in the world it's the same, unless the Types of Creatures is changed (notably to add Elementals). That wouldn't seem absurd, like taking a page from Arcana Domain Clerics.

Lay on Hands -> Swift Remedy

If the goal is to clearly seem arcane, this has the same issue as the above... it's just a player-facing change that probably won't actually feel like one. Using Hit Dice (even if it's without Expending them) could help it feel more like it... but then you might be closer to Necromancy, if that matters.

(Improved) Divine Smite -> (Improved) Arcane Smite

Just renaming a powerful thing.

Blessed Warrior Fighting Style -> Arcane Warrior Fighting Style (Cantrips from Wizard)

Sure... I'm less concerned about the scagtrips and their revisions, but that's partly because I've given up on them. If building a full Class, that could be an interesting area to draw Features from (and I'd tend to want them to be regular Features or MAYBE non-Cantrip Spells, not Cantrips.)

Divine Health -> Inured Resilience

Not clear how this fits the revised theme... I guess maybe Necromancy is the right route to go to make it seem slightly less odd? In practice though, it's a name swap for a meta element (the name), so in the world there's no real change.

Sacred Oath -> Arcane Order

Oath Spells -> Order Spells

(Name changes)

Channel Divinity -> Siphon Arcana

Is this actually meant to siphon spellcasting, e.g. like an absorbing Dispel / Counterspel or like a greedy version of the Wild Magic Barbarian?

Aura of Protection (works as is, but Intelligence instead of Charisma)

Sure, albeit so iconic Paladin (especially with it not actually coming from a Spell or anything active) I'm not sure it helps created a separate feel at the table or in the world... instead it might reinforce being a Paladin in everything but name. If stealing from Paladin, maybe going for the Oath of the Ancients' Aura of Warding would be slightly more fitting?

Cleansing Touchs -> Purge Magic

Sure, shifting from plausibly Necromancy to more Abjuration-y.

Change their spell list from paladin to wizard, give them a spellbook and let them learn spells at half wizard rate. Prepare like a wizard too, cast with an arcane focus. No ritual casting though. Replace starting item holy symbol with component pouch.

Dunno if it's too powerful. Could add some utility spells from wizard to the paladin list and let them use the paladin list, but still with a spell book.

Edit- I think the addition of a spell book and arcane focus does a lot to change the theme, and it is a stealth nerf since they now much choose what spells to have the option to prepare. Having spells like Shield may balance that back up.

I think the Spellbook system works... but it has to be framed as being Known+ because it already gives plenty of Spells even if absolutely none are found and it gives bonus options to swap to/from. But really, it's the Wizard Spell List that would be putting in the work I think power-wise, like Silly Name says. (But I have the same uncertainty about the goal here... it looks like name changes and at most a Paladin Subclass with some Arcane classics in the Oath Spells would cover it.)

Arkhios
2022-09-12, 10:51 AM
(I say it later in the post, but I think my main point of uncertainty is what the goal is -- it seems to be framed as a refluff to fit a theme, but then creates a class for it? That might be framing, but I'm just not sure what the scope of homebrew is. I think the biggest power concern would be Multiclassing intent or trying to grab a specific set of Spells. Sorcerer instead of Wizard as the Spell List source is roughly equivalent at the half-Caster point.)

Sure -- but it's just a name swap, so doesn't really exist "in the world" the same way since in the world it's the same, unless the Types of Creatures is changed (notably to add Elementals). That wouldn't seem absurd, like taking a page from Arcana Domain Clerics.

If the goal is to clearly seem arcane, this has the same issue as the above... it's just a player-facing change that probably won't actually feel like one. Using Hit Dice (even if it's without Expending them) could help it feel more like it... but then you might be closer to Necromancy, if that matters.

Just renaming a powerful thing.

Sure... I'm less concerned about the scagtrips and their revisions, but that's partly because I've given up on them. If building a full Class, that could be an interesting area to draw Features from (and I'd tend to want them to be regular Features or MAYBE non-Cantrip Spells, not Cantrips.)

Not clear how this fits the revised theme... I guess maybe Necromancy is the right route to go to make it seem slightly less odd? In practice though, it's a name swap for a meta element (the name), so in the world there's no real change.

(Name changes)

Is this actually meant to siphon spellcasting, e.g. like an absorbing Dispel / Counterspel or like a greedy version of the Wild Magic Barbarian?

Sure, albeit so iconic Paladin (especially with it not actually coming from a Spell or anything active) I'm not sure it helps created a separate feel at the table or in the world... instead it might reinforce being a Paladin in everything but name. If stealing from Paladin, maybe going for the Oath of the Ancients' Aura of Warding would be slightly more fitting?

Sure, shifting from plausibly Necromancy to more Abjuration-y.

I think the Spellbook system works... but it has to be framed as being Known+ because it already gives plenty of Spells even if absolutely none are found and it gives bonus options to swap to/from. But really, it's the Wizard Spell List that would be putting in the work I think power-wise, like Silly Name says. (But I have the same uncertainty about the goal here... it looks like name changes and at most a Paladin Subclass with some Arcane classics in the Oath Spells would cover it.)

The intent is to mostly reflavor the class, not to make an entirely new class. That's why all the changes to intrinsically divine abilities are name changes mostly, with only minor changes in flavor text to align better with the new name. That is also why I chose not to make any changes to how smite works. Just changed the name a bit.

Likewise, I don't intend to change the class spell list at all (I even dropped the idea of changing Blessed Warrior more than superficially on name-level). They'd still choose their spells from the paladin list. The whole idea is to play a paladin whose spell source and key ability score are different, with a minor tweak for adding a spellbook instead of having access to all spells from the class right away. It's a nerf, for sure. But an intentional one.

Or, at the very least, start from there, and if found necessary, remake the class for this particular purpose.

BoutsofInsanity
2022-09-12, 12:08 PM
Totally legit.

In the DMG.

Chapter 9: Dungeon Master's Workshop
Subsection: Creating New Character Options
Sub-Sub Section: Modifying a Class

"Changing Spell Lists
Modifying a class’s spell list usually has little effect on a character’s power but can change the flavor of a class significantly. In your world, paladins might not swear their oaths to ideals, but instead swear fealty to powerful sorcerers. To capture this story concept, you could build a new paladin spell list with spells meant to protect their masters, drawn from the sorcerer or wizard lists. Suddenly, the paladin feels like a different class.

Be cautious when changing the warlock spell list. Since warlocks regain their spell slots after a short rest, they have the potential to use certain spells more times in a day than other classes do."

So you can absolutely do this and should with DM permission. Change to intelligence, use the Wizard and Sorcerer spell list, keep the smite spells and go to town.

Mastikator
2022-09-12, 12:21 PM
I realize that the wizard spell list is doing- and does a lot of heavy lifting, but it's hamstringed on both legs by a spellbook AND by a half caster learning spells at half speed. Having fireball on a paladin sounds really good, but realize it's only on 9th level and that's the one 3rd level spell the paladin would get at that level. Compare and contrast to a normal paladin getting every 3rd level paladin spell that they can replace with a long rest. The arcane order paladin gets a total of 4 3rd level wizard spells (unless they want to learn more 3rd level than 4th level). They could add more spells with the DM's permission and trade spells with an actual wizard.

Arkhios
2022-09-12, 12:24 PM
Totally legit.

In the DMG.

Chapter 9: Dungeon Master's Workshop
Subsection: Creating New Character Options
Sub-Sub Section: Modifying a Class

"Changing Spell Lists
Modifying a class’s spell list usually has little effect on a character’s power but can change the flavor of a class significantly. In your world, paladins might not swear their oaths to ideals, but instead swear fealty to powerful sorcerers. To capture this story concept, you could build a new paladin spell list with spells meant to protect their masters, drawn from the sorcerer or wizard lists. Suddenly, the paladin feels like a different class.

Be cautious when changing the warlock spell list. Since warlocks regain their spell slots after a short rest, they have the potential to use certain spells more times in a day than other classes do."

So you can absolutely do this and should with DM permission. Change to intelligence, use the Wizard and Sorcerer spell list, keep the smite spells and go to town.

:smallcool:

This is the main reason why I set myself on this path; I knew this was in the DMG, and it's tempted me ever since 5th edition's release, but none of my DM's until now have been lenient about trying this.

Corran
2022-09-12, 01:36 PM
In case this has not been mentioned already, I think the biggest puzzle is what you are going to do with their healing abilities. While healing is not exclussively tied to divine magic (eg life transference), it's one of the first things I think of when looking for differences between divine and arcane magic.

So, lay on hands. An easy solution would be to turn it into temp hp. Action economy wise this change makes it stronger, unless the party has already a good few ways to generate temp hp. So to balance this out you could either reduce the amount of temp hp, or to tie it to slots (though the latter can be problematic because many resources are already commited to spell slots -especially if you give them a few extra spells to showcase a more arcane nature, also because the pacing of the campaign can make it more strong or weak than intended). Also, scrap cure wounds, revivify and aura of vitality for false life and a few more arcane spells that I'll mention later.

Scrap the mount for a familiar or homunculous (or a drake similarly to drake warden). Actually, what would be a creature that can be magically bound? Hmm, maybe start with a familiar and give th option to upgrade to things like (minor) elementals, fey, undead, demons/devils, generally anything of appropriate CR that can be bound through planar binding or a similar in nature ritual. Dpending in alignment you ca change the creature type and regarding the connection you could have it be anything from binding something to you to just forming a pact.

Auras also seem very divine to me. You could change aura of protection to something like bardic inspiration but fluff it like an arcane ward that you can throw around (much like an abjurer, though yours if for saves). You could model it after the bardic inspiration or change it to an at will reaction (probably with a range of 30, possibly increasing to 60 in tier 4) to make up for the action economy cost. Drop aura of courage for an entirely new feature, hmm, what would a gish want. Maybe a boost to concentration. Improved divine smite changes to warmagic? Oh, and smite does not deal more damage to undead anymore. Maybe keep the augment but have it be used against a different type of creature, the type depending on the oath (though I'd imagine it would be nice to have it be used against creatures that are misusing magic, at least as your order would view it). Aura spells (eg aura of life) and restoration get the chop too.

Finally, give them access to what you think of as the most wizardy spells. For me it would be something like magic missile, fireball/lighning bolt, Evard's black tentacles and Bigby's hand, or something along these lines. What spells scream arcane magic to you? Give them access to some of them.

Chronos
2022-09-12, 03:54 PM
One change that isn't just a name-swap would be to change the smite damage from radiant to force. Wizards and clerics both have spells with both of those damage types, but force is much more associated with arcane and radiant with divine. And both damage types are about equally good, so it's not a balance concern (if anything, I tend to think that radiant is slightly better, unless you're fighting celestials).

As for spellbooks... One point to consider, if you keep them on a (possibly modified) paladin list rather than the wizard list, is how common are these arcane knights in your world? Wizards are fairly common, as spellcasters go, and so an adventuring wizard has lots of opportunities to find and use other spellbooks: Any friendly wizard they encounter might be willing to give away, sell, or trade spells, and any unfriendly wizard they encounter might have one in their loot. But if your arcane knights are much rarer than wizards, then it might be very difficult for an arcane knight to find more spells (aside from those spells that they happen to share with wizards).

Psyren
2022-09-13, 11:06 AM
If you really want to make an Arcane-din I would consider jettisoning their healing and curing as that is the most "divine" aspect of the current class.

1) I'd replace Lay on Hands with some kind of temp HP or damage-reducing ward, similar to Abjurer Wizard or Clockwork Soul Sorcerer.
2) I'd also let their Lay on Hands be usable to make a dispel attempt against one spell on the target instead of ending a poison or disease, with automatic success if you spend a number of THP from your pool = 4x the spell level of the effect you're trying to remove.

Arkhios
2022-09-13, 02:11 PM
Lots of good food for thought lately. I'm not ignoring it, I've only been busy to fully digest all of it. Just wanted to say that I appreciate your thoughts and will read it all through as soon as I'm able. Thanks!

SupahCabre
2022-09-13, 03:43 PM
First of all, we already have Eldritch Knights. It's in the name, "Knight". Just use a Noble background and call it a day.

JNAProductions
2022-09-13, 03:46 PM
First of all, we already have Eldritch Knights. It's in the name, "Knight". Just use a Noble background and call it a day.

There's a big difference in playstyle between a Paladin and an Eldritch Knight. Even with some of the modifications (changing damage types, changing Lay On Hands, and possibly messing around with the spell list) they'd still play very differently.

Thematically they cover similar ground, but theme and mechanics are not the same.

PhantomSoul
2022-09-13, 05:03 PM
There's a big difference in playstyle between a Paladin and an Eldritch Knight. Even with some of the modifications (changing damage types, changing Lay On Hands, and possibly messing around with the spell list) they'd still play very differently.

Thematically they cover similar ground, but theme and mechanics are not the same.

And, perhaps more than any of those given theme is being refluffed and mechanics (in the sense of specific abilities) are the main thing people seem to want to change to match the theme, 1/3 caster vs 1/2 caster! A 1/3 caster gives you 2/3 envy, but a 1/2 caster gives you 1/6th less! :)

BRC
2022-09-13, 05:12 PM

I feel like an EK feels more like "A warrior who knows some magic", while a Paladin feels more like somebody who uses both Magic and Martial skill together, although they may be largely a side-effect of the Smite mechanic/series of spells. At any given time an EK is either using magic OR swinging their sword, there's a sweet spot between 6 and 10th level where they can use a nifty combat cantrip (Like Green Flame Blade) without giving up any attacks, but I'd agree that the an "Arcane flavored Paladin" would feel very different from an EK.

Arkhios
2022-09-13, 11:01 PM
I mean, sure. But that's besides the point. I'm not looking to make a knight just for the sake of the name of a class. Using the paladin class mechanics and changing the aspects of what makes it divine to arcane is the only thing I'm trying to accomplish. Heck, in SCAG, there's even this background called Knight of the Order, which would suffice alone, if that was what I was looking for.

And, perhaps more than any of those given theme is being refluffed and mechanics (in the sense of specific abilities) are the main thing people seem to want to change to match the theme, 1/3 caster vs 1/2 caster! A 1/3 caster gives you 2/3 envy, but a 1/2 caster gives you 1/6th less! :)

Admittedly, my issue with EK is that it's only secondarily (or thirdly :smalltongue:) a caster and primarily a warrior, while both Paladin and Ranger (and some Artificer subclasses) are half warriors, half casters — quite literally — and as mentioned, they play differently.
Also now that I mentioned Artificers, I realize they could be seen as the arcane equivalent for those two, but honestly I feel they fill a wholly different niche: half rogue, half caster.

Arkhios
2022-09-14, 03:56 AM
I realize that the wizard spell list is doing- and does a lot of heavy lifting, but it's hamstringed on both legs by a spellbook AND by a half caster learning spells at half speed. Having fireball on a paladin sounds really good, but realize it's only on 9th level and that's the one 3rd level spell the paladin would get at that level. Compare and contrast to a normal paladin getting every 3rd level paladin spell that they can replace with a long rest. The arcane order paladin gets a total of 4 3rd level wizard spells (unless they want to learn more 3rd level than 4th level). They could add more spells with the DM's permission and trade spells with an actual wizard.
As tempting as it would be to have a tailormade spell list, it goes against the general idea of trying to keep this "theme adjustment" relatively simple. From my point of view, the naming of a "Class X spell list" doesn't in on itself make the list arcane or divine. It's the class that uses the list that makes the difference. I'm going to keep the paladin spell list intact, give the class the Spellbook (maybe I'll call it a Codex, Grimoire, Libram, or the like, to somehow differentiate it from the spellbook that wizards use; not that it would matter much), and see how it goes. We agreed with the DM that if anything needs to be changed, we'll make changes as we go.

In case this has not been mentioned already, I think the biggest puzzle is what you are going to do with their healing abilities. While healing is not exclussively tied to divine magic (eg life transference), it's one of the first things I think of when looking for differences between divine and arcane magic.

So, lay on hands. An easy solution would be to turn it into temp hp. Action economy wise this change makes it stronger, unless the party has already a good few ways to generate temp hp. So to balance this out you could either reduce the amount of temp hp, or to tie it to slots (though the latter can be problematic because many resources are already commited to spell slots -especially if you give them a few extra spells to showcase a more arcane nature, also because the pacing of the campaign can make it more strong or weak than intended). Also, scrap cure wounds, revivify and aura of vitality for false life and a few more arcane spells that I'll mention later.

Scrap the mount for a familiar or homunculous (or a drake similarly to drake warden). Actually, what would be a creature that can be magically bound? Hmm, maybe start with a familiar and give th option to upgrade to things like (minor) elementals, fey, undead, demons/devils, generally anything of appropriate CR that can be bound through planar binding or a similar in nature ritual. Dpending in alignment you ca change the creature type and regarding the connection you could have it be anything from binding something to you to just forming a pact.

Auras also seem very divine to me. You could change aura of protection to something like bardic inspiration but fluff it like an arcane ward that you can throw around (much like an abjurer, though yours if for saves). You could model it after the bardic inspiration or change it to an at will reaction (probably with a range of 30, possibly increasing to 60 in tier 4) to make up for the action economy cost. Drop aura of courage for an entirely new feature, hmm, what would a gish want. Maybe a boost to concentration. Improved divine smite changes to warmagic? Oh, and smite does not deal more damage to undead anymore. Maybe keep the augment but have it be used against a different type of creature, the type depending on the oath (though I'd imagine it would be nice to have it be used against creatures that are misusing magic, at least as your order would view it). Aura spells (eg aura of life) and restoration get the chop too.

Finally, give them access to what you think of as the most wizardy spells. For me it would be something like magic missile, fireball/lighning bolt, Evard's black tentacles and Bigby's hand, or something along these lines. What spells scream arcane magic to you? Give them access to some of them.
There are other arcane classes that have access to healing spells (bard, for example), and there's really nothing wrong with it. What matters is how they cast their spells. Part of the change in spellcasting I feel important is to rethink which spell foci the class utilizes. For example, since this change makes the class arcane instead of divine, they shouldn't use holy symbols (meaning that with the alteration, this class won't be able to use shields as spell foci. it might feel small, but it actually makes a lot of difference). As for the several class features being intrinsically linked with the divine (such as Lay on Hands and Divine Smite), I agree that they need to change somehow, but I would prefer that the change isn't too big, to still maintain the same general purpose, if not the same effect.
Aura as a word might feel divine, but the effect they bestow can be reflavored to something else. Circle of Protection, for example, would cast a more arcane feel on the ability, while keeping the same mechanics. Find Steed is a relatively iconic spell for a paladin, but the steed doesn't have to be celestial creature. In fact, the spell itself states the following: "The steed has the statistics of the chosen form, though it is a celestial, fey, or fiend (your choice) instead of its normal type." With a DM's permission, I should say that adding elemental or even undead to the list wouldn't make a big difference. Also, you could always ask from your DM if you can choose your steed outside the listed options.

One change that isn't just a name-swap would be to change the smite damage from radiant to force. Wizards and clerics both have spells with both of those damage types, but force is much more associated with arcane and radiant with divine. And both damage types are about equally good, so it's not a balance concern (if anything, I tend to think that radiant is slightly better, unless you're fighting celestials).

As for spellbooks... One point to consider, if you keep them on a (possibly modified) paladin list rather than the wizard list, is how common are these arcane knights in your world? Wizards are fairly common, as spellcasters go, and so an adventuring wizard has lots of opportunities to find and use other spellbooks: Any friendly wizard they encounter might be willing to give away, sell, or trade spells, and any unfriendly wizard they encounter might have one in their loot. But if your arcane knights are much rarer than wizards, then it might be very difficult for an arcane knight to find more spells (aside from those spells that they happen to share with wizards).
That is a good idea, though I'm slightly worried about changing the type to force, because that damage type in particular is something that very few creatures have a resistance against. Radiant on the other hand is a bit more resisted damage type, though certainly not one of the most common either.

How about this: the extra damage varies depending on which damaging spells you have prepared for the day, and you can choose from them?
Many arcane classes do have access to radiant damaging spells, so I'm not worried about it that much.

As for the availability of spells, I believe you can learn new spells through personal research as well. And by new I believe this would mean spells from your spell list that you don't know yet, rather than creating an entirely new spell from scratch (I suppose that could also be the case, but that needs to be discussed by th DM).

However rare or common this class is going to be in the setting is up to DM to decide, and I would be fine if they're rare and basically their only chance of learning spells apart from their class progression would be to find ancient texts and scrolls, because that's intended to be their organization's thing anyway.

If you really want to make an Arcane-din I would consider jettisoning their healing and curing as that is the most "divine" aspect of the current class.

1) I'd replace Lay on Hands with some kind of temp HP or damage-reducing ward, similar to Abjurer Wizard or Clockwork Soul Sorcerer.
2) I'd also let their Lay on Hands be usable to make a dispel attempt against one spell on the target instead of ending a poison or disease, with automatic success if you spend a number of THP from your pool = 4x the spell level of the effect you're trying to remove.
To be honest, I like these ideas. They keep the same general purpose, yet have a more arcane feel to them.

Silly Name
2022-09-14, 08:06 AM
That is a good idea, though I'm slightly worried about changing the type to force, because that damage type in particular is something that very few creatures have a resistance against. Radiant on the other hand is a bit more resisted damage type, though certainly not one of the most common either.

IMHO, Radiant is actually the better damage type when compared to Force: yes, there are more enemies that are resistant to Radiant damage over Force, however they tend to be Angels and other types of Celestials - an uncommon type of enemy unless we're playing an Evil campaign.

However, Radiant has the notable advantage of having a few nasties be vulnerable to it - meaning it'll prove more effective against those. It also has some edges cases where it proves excellent to have even if the target isn't vulnerable to it, such as against vampires.

I know of exactly two monsters vulnerable to Force damage, both in Ghosts of Saltmarsh, and of no monster that has a specific interaction with Force damage like vampires do with Radiant.

Arkhios
2022-09-14, 08:20 AM
IMHO, Radiant is actually the better damage type when compared to Force: yes, there are more enemies that are resistant to Radiant damage over Force, however they tend to be Angels and other types of Celestials - an uncommon type of enemy unless we're playing an Evil campaign.

However, Radiant has the notable advantage of having a few nasties be vulnerable to it - meaning it'll prove more effective against those. It also has some edges cases where it proves excellent to have even if the target isn't vulnerable to it, such as against vampires.

I know of exactly two monsters vulnerable to Force damage, both in Ghosts of Saltmarsh, and of no monster that has a specific interaction with Force damage like vampires do with Radiant.

I could offer that change to my DM, and see if they approve it.

Person_Man
2022-09-14, 09:22 AM
Yeah, an Int based Paladin has slightly less commonly used Skills than Cha based. But assuming you’re not multiclassing, its basically a wash. And even if you are multiclassing, a Paladin/Wizard isn’t going to be that much different from Paladin/Sorcerer or Bard. (Though I guess Paladin/Artificer could be a thing? But not seeing any synergies).