PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Spooky Character Help: The Haunted One (it's girl-Shaggy)

Ninjadeadbeard
2022-09-12, 12:46 AM
Just finished up a nice game of House of Lament online, and my DM is feeling like taking our level 3 characters to the Death House and then Curse of Strahd. He's letting us respec, since we did a dumb and went ALL ROGUES. And while this was hilarious good fun, we've all agreed it wasn't a particularly good idea, and most of us are changing out mechanics while keeping the character concepts handy. In my case, I've got permission to be a bit wilder in my changes and... well. I'm now paralyzed by choice, naturally. :smalltongue:

CONCEPT:
Shelly is a young human girl for whom tragedy is a constant state of affairs. Parents died when she was born. Extended family followed soon after, in more and more unusual or bizarre accidents and incidents. The orphanage that ended up with her eventually sighed in relief when she left... only to instantly get flooded away. In a drought. In a desert. Suffice to say, Shelly is a weird combination of Shaggy levels of petrified with terror at all times, and Velma levels of utter occult fascination. She's not scared of the ghosts around her, since most of them are the screaming dead of people she knows. That's not scary. But... what was that? Oh jeez... was that a stranger g-g-ghost? Or... or A MOUSE!?

Her terror is played for laughs, but through roleplay she's also kinda taken on a more broken, maybe crazy persona, especially once she hit level 3 and became a Phantom Rogue, which was when she started inflicting her haunts and madness on her enemies. The party loved the roleplay, so I'm keeping the fact that she's a bit of a hot mess of anxieties, obsessions, and possibly total madness and horror.

Now, obviously this worked for a Phantom Rogue. But... considering how I've played her as terrified of and simultaneously fascinated by the undead, the spooky, and the occult, I want to keep something of that.

THE BUILD:
To that end, tl;dr, I am debating between respecing my human Phantom Rogue as either a Spirit Bard, or as an Undead Warlock. A Bard gets me a pseudo rogue for skills, while adding a bunch of fun magical options and seance style magic down the line. The Warlock obviously grants her a more powerful upfront ability to transform, and if I went Pact of the Blade, I could also gain easy proficiency with the PISTOL the DM let my character have from House of Lament (with an Invocation, sure, but still).

I'm just not sure which way to go, or if there's some solid multiclassing option or feat selection I'm missing. Stay Rogue but look to multiclass later? Total respec as a Bard? Warlock? Both? I'm the most experienced player of the people who will be playing, and the DM has been relying on me to sort of teach them the ropes and build reliable characters where some of the others make... "fun roleplay decisions" that get us all killed two sessions in, but right now I'm just stuck on which way to go with it. I'm usually stuck DMing forever, so getting to actually play a character is kinda rare for me, and I'd like to get the most bang for my buck, as they say.

Also, as a reference to Scooby Doo and the Werewolf, me and the DM thought it'd be hilarious to have her become a Dhampir between adventures as well. So I'm doing that as opposed to getting a feat or something else at level 1.

Help me, Giantitp... you're my only hope!

Greywander
2022-09-13, 12:52 PM
The thing about bladelocks is that they require a lot of investment just to be on par with EB, especially with a non-Hexblade patron. A gun doesn't really change this. The other side of this is that bladelocks can outdo EB with enough investment, whereas EB doesn't have a lot of upgrades available aside from the obvious invocations. Do keep in mind guns have the loading property, so you'd need Gunner or CE to use it with Thirsting Blade.

Hmm, have you considered a monk? You could go for a gunk (gun monk) build, and Astral Self would be a thematic fit. And of course the extra speed is a thematic fit when the Benny Hill music kicks in.

RogueJK
2022-09-13, 01:50 PM
Hmm, have you considered a monk? You could go for a gunk (gun monk) build, and Astral Self would be a thematic fit. And of course the extra speed is a thematic fit when the Benny Hill music kicks in.

Gunk doesn't really synergize at all with the Astral Self subclass.

The core of the Gunk is to combo Ki Fueled Strikes with the Kensei subclass Deft Strike, gaining both extra damage and (more importantly) a third Bonus Action gun attack, all for just 1 Ki point. This lets you get off three gun attacks per round on a fairly regular basis, starting at just Level 6. And later on, you can pair Kensei's Sharpen the Blade with Focused Aim to offset the Sharpshooter attack penalty.

Astral Self, on the other hand, doesn't get you anything that works in tandem with gun attacks. They're based around making WIS-based unarmed attacks with Reach, and WIS-based Athletics checks to grapple/shove. None of which applies to ranged gun attacks. So aside from the ribbons of Darkvision, Advantage on Insight/Intimidation checks, and effectively the Message cantrip, you'd be getting nothing from the Astral Self subclass through the end of the CoS campaign.