PDA

View Full Version : E6 Balance

CoolMatthew
2007-11-29, 08:02 PM
I'm going to be running an E6 (http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=206323) campaign soon and am hoping to avoid any
problems by getting a few aid another bonuses on my knowledge (game balance)
check.

1) Are there any major balance problems in dnd at level 6 as it stands?
What about with the capstone feats from E6?

2) Would it fix/break the game to make full attacks a standard action? How
should this affect Whirlwind Attack, Spring Attack, Manyshot, Shot on the
Run, Ride-By Attack, Flurry of Blows, and Attacks of Opportunity?

3) Would it gimp spellcasters too much to force them to have as many
low-level spells as high-level spells when taking Expanded Spell
Knowledge/Power?

4) Exactly how overpowered are the "Raising the stakes" rules?

brian c
2007-11-29, 08:47 PM
2) Would it fix/break the game to make full attacks a standard action? How
should this affect Whirlwind Attack, Spring Attack, Manyshot, Shot on the
Run, Ride-By Attack, Flurry of Blows, and Attacks of Opportunity?

For the most part, this won't do much in an E6 game. Only the full BAB classes get more than one attack at that point anyway, although it does help monks a lot by letting them flurry more often.

CoolMatthew
2007-11-30, 01:44 AM
Thanks for the reply! Well I was hoping #2 would help monks with their mobility problem and improve Spring Attack and Two-Weapon Fighting, but I've Realized since it would apply to everyone all it would do is overpower meleers. So... nevermind about #2 :smallredface:

Edit: Oh and about #1 I mean MAJOR breakthegamewithouttrying problems. (not start with buying ladder and...)

deadseashoals
2007-11-30, 06:30 AM
1) Druid gets Natural Spell at level 6, BUT it's only a major problem if you allow the fleshraker dinosaur form. Otherwise, the wild shape combat forms are not overwhelming until large wildshape at level 8.

2) You should just allow flurry of blows and maybe attack with two weapons as a standard, if you're going to try something like that.

Leadfeathermcc
2007-11-30, 07:37 AM
I am starting an E6 campaign myself. Here are the changes I have made to the classes.*
The following classes have changes as noted.

Cleric
As the PHB with the following changes
• Instead of the turn unded rules in the Player’s Handbook the cleric will use the destruction of undead variant found on page 87 of the Complete Divine

Druid
• All druids must take the Shapeshift alternative class feature from page 39 of the PHBII

Fighter
• A fighter who does not multiclass gets 8 conviction points instead of 6 conviction points. And when raising the death flag gets an additional 8 conviction points instead of an additional 6 conviction points. The cost of lowering the death flag for a fighter is 8 conviction points instead of 6 conviction points. If a fighter ever multiclasses he loses this ability

Hexblade
As the Complete Warror page 5 with the following changes
• Good Fortitude save
• Curse ability usable 1 + the hexblade’s Cha modifier per day
• Curse ability usable as a swift action
• Curse ability does not count as used if the target makes his saving throw
• Ability to cast in light or medium armor and while carrying a light shield or buckler
• At 6th level, the hexblade can cast one hexblade spell per day as a swift action, as long as its original casting time is a standard action or faster.

Monk
• Monks have full BAB progression
• Double Blow (Ex) When unarmored a monk may make two unarmed attacks as a standard action. The monk takes a -2 penalty to each attack. This penalty applies for 1 round so it also affects any attacks of opportunity a monk might make before her next action. This ability does not stack with flurry of blows or two weapon fighting. This attack can not be used with a weapon.

Paladin
• Instead of the turn unded rules in the Player’s Handbook the paladin will use the destruction of undead variant found on page 87 of the Complete Divine

*Much of this information was borrowed from others work, but I can not site the sources as I did not record them for a document that was going to only be circulated among my gaming group.

CoolMatthew
2007-11-30, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the replies, this is good stuff! :smallbiggrin:
I'm thinking I'll go through the SRD and list all my balance concerns plus possible solutions... Well I did that and came up with the same list as Leadfeathermcc so I think I'll leave it at that. :smallcool:
One more thing: When I come up with my final campaign doc should I post it? If so in here or in homebrew?

Indon
2007-11-30, 04:09 PM
The closest thing I could possibly see to 'balance problems' with E6 are synergystic feat-groups, like the Incarnum and Luck feat groups. And, really, all they do is offer all of your players solid feat choices as they continue on with character development after hitting level 6.