PDA

View Full Version : A fragmented being that needs to find his other parts (Cliche? Bad?)

Entessa
2022-09-13, 02:11 AM
For the next character, I would like to do something a bit more "pompous" rather than the generic human noble that I keep playing in the various campaigns I'm in.
I want to start as a yuan ti. I’m a shopkeeper and I want to join the party because I feel the urge of finding my other parts.

In the past, I was a full, adult dragon, that was helped against a great evil (even greater than myself) by an angel.
But, after the fight, I don't know why, I was split in many parts. I know I was split because I can feel it and I want to link myself with the other parts and merge with them, but I'm not sure if:

1) It's gonna be too cliche or interesting for my DM. Would it be interesting for you?

2) How I would be able to find the other parts.

King of Nowhere
2022-09-13, 03:36 AM
It's hard to come up with completely new stuff. I wouldn't worry about that.
It's interesti g enough. Ultimately, you can only see in the game if the concept works for you.
As Always, ask your dm if your concept is fine and fits the campaign. As for how you would recover your parts, that's up to your dm to determine. Make a show of seeking informations in your downtime, and let the dm throw some plot hook at you

icefractal
2022-09-13, 05:11 AM
I think it's a fine concept, but it needs the GM to be on board for best effect.
Like, it can be a backstory either way, but for the missing parts to come up in play they'll need to be integrated in the plot or potentially findable in the sandbox, depending on campaign style.

The character doesn't know why they were split or what the result of combining all the parts back together would be, but do you (the player) have an answer in mind?

As to where the parts might be - if an angel was the one scattering them, a likely place would be on several planes. Not outright evil planes, because presumably the parts falling into the wrong hands would be bad, but naturally hazardous places. Maybe a few in the upper planes, guarded by the angel or their friends.

Quertus
2022-09-13, 10:47 AM
Shrug. Tbh, as GM, my most likely response would be to have your character eventually learn (assuming that they were open-minded enough, and “followed the clues” (like, “what evil?”)) that “your Princess is in another castle”; that is… your other pieces aren’t in this world. That evil you fought was from another world. And your soul isn’t from this world (Because, most of my worlds, the (native) souls are indivisible).

Sages would love to dissect… I mean, study you. And, most of my worlds, could provide you with a means to track down your souls (isn’t there something in bdz to track dragon balls? If so, maybe something like that), and would likely do so (depending on the world and Sage) for free, for information, or for the promise of one of these foreign “splitting” souls to study.

Not sure if that answer helped any, but that’s the most likely result if you presented that idea at my table.

Kesnit
2022-09-13, 08:07 PM
In the past, I was a full, adult dragon, that was helped against a great evil (even greater than myself) by an angel.
But, after the fight, I don't know why, I was split in many parts. I know I was split because I can feel it and I want to link myself with the other parts and merge with them

If I had a player come to me with this, my first question would be "what is your end goal?" The concept is good, in theory. But do you want to end up an adult dragon in the end? Depending on the rest of the party, that could be overpowering. And what stages would you go through? (In theory, the growth stages of a dragon, but that - again - could be overpowering.)

Millstone85
2022-09-14, 12:43 AM
And what stages would you go through?I would suggest going through playable races with increasingly draconic themes:
yuan-ti --> lizardfolk --> kobold --> dragonborn

animorte
2022-09-14, 05:46 AM
I would suggest going through playable races with increasingly draconic themes:
yuan-ti --> lizardfolk --> kobold --> dragonborn
Oh, that’s quite an interesting idea there.

One of my best friends asked me if he could start as a half-elf with something of a prosthetic arm. Gradually over a great deal of time, he would begin replacing various body parts with mechanical substitutes. I absolutely loved this concept. If memory serves correctly, I pointed him to Warforged and basically said, every other level you may trade a half-elf feature with a warforged feature until it has fully taken over. That was pretty fun.

If the you or the DM have any ideas how to flavor your transformation in a similar way. Or I had the idea of you playing a type of hot/cold game in which your body can feel the pull of the other, more draconic features. Naturally the DM could work this in, if they’re up for it and experienced enough. I love working PC ideals into the adventure. Immersion, investment, etc.