PDA

View Full Version : Gamer Humor Problems with dice

Jay R
2022-09-14, 10:17 AM
I have been playing role-playing games since 1975, and have collected a lot of dice over the years. So I decided to give a bunch of them away. At the last gaming session, I had a big bowl of dice for any player who wanted them.

One player took a d20, and was getting increasingly frustrated that she wasn't getting any high rolls. We finally figured out the problem when she rolled a "0".

It was an old style d20, from before they were putting two digits on a side. It had the numbers 0 through 9 twice.

Oops.

Anybody else have a good story?

Grod_The_Giant
2022-09-14, 10:35 AM
I was in a brief Mutants and Masterminds game with a player who had a similar experience. He never seemed to roll well, and we had no explanation until someone else looked at his die and saw that it was another of those twenty-sided d10s.

(What I cannot explain is why he continued to use the die after this was pointed out, and continued to complain about never accomplishing anything in combat)

Telwar
2022-09-14, 12:23 PM
I have a pair of d20s that have a weird distribution.

They almost always roll between 8 - 16. I used them for my 4e Avenger, who was almost always attacking with Advantage (in 5e terms), and my crit rate was under 5%, even with a crit range of 19+. Other players noticed it, too.

Quertus
2022-09-14, 12:54 PM
I’ve known numerous players who used a d12 for a d20, or a d8 for a d10.

It’s sadly not a symmetrical problem, as, while nobody raises an eyebrow when you roll a 3 on a d20, they certainly do immediately catch when you get a 12 on a d10.

One player took a d20, and was getting increasingly frustrated that she wasn't getting any high rolls. We finally figured out the problem when she rolled a "0".

It was an old style d20, from before they were putting two digits on a side. It had the numbers 0 through 9 twice.

Oops.

Did she at least get some “add +10 to a single digit roll” beanies?

I was in a brief Mutants and Masterminds game with a player who had a similar experience. He never seemed to roll well, and we had no explanation until someone else looked at his die and saw that it was another of those twenty-sided d10s.

(What I cannot explain is why he continued to use the die after this was pointed out, and continued to complain about never accomplishing anything in combat)

Did he… uh… have ear buds in when it was explained to him or something?

tomandtish
2022-09-14, 02:11 PM

Oops.

I remember those. You filled them in with crayon, using one color for 1-10 and a different for 11-20.

Funniest I personally remember was when a player rolled two d6. Somehow they ended up leaning against each other such that the results for both were technically "edge".

Batcathat
2022-09-14, 02:44 PM
I remember those. You filled them in with crayon, using one color for 1-10 and a different for 11-20.

So was that the intent or just something people did? Because I'm trying to figure out how they weren't just unnecessarily complicated d10s.

I can't think of any interesting dice stories of my own, I'm afraid. Though Jay's story did remind me of when I was a kid and it took me far too long to realize that the compass I was using had north and south switched around. :smalltongue:

tomandtish
2022-09-14, 02:51 PM
So was that the intent or just something people did? Because I'm trying to figure out how they weren't just unnecessarily complicated d10s.

I can't think of any interesting dice stories of my own, I'm afraid. Though Jay's story did remind me of when I was a kid and it took me far too long to realize that the compass I was using had north and south switched around. :smalltongue:

It was the intent (mostly). My very first boxed set came with those dice and A crayon. My suspicion was that you were to color in one set, but everyone I knew got a second crayon for the other.

Mastikator
2022-09-14, 03:49 PM
I have been playing role-playing games since 1975, and have collected a lot of dice over the years. So I decided to give a bunch of them away. At the last gaming session, I had a big bowl of dice for any player who wanted them.

Oops.

Gave me a good laugh!

I don't have a funny story, but I a friend of mine bought a set of dice with no numbers on them and painted them for my birthday. So I have a sweet story, and that's good enough for this thread. :smallsmile:

Kurald Galain
2022-09-14, 03:56 PM
At conventions, I tend to look around for weird dice to buy, and one year I found a d6 that basically reads :smallbiggrin::smallsmile::smallredface::smallanno yed::smallmad::smallfurious:

We've been using this for reactions of (relatively unimportant) NPCs.

Jay R
2022-09-14, 04:40 PM
Did she at least get some “add +10 to a single digit roll” beanies?

Only once. I didn't go back and change previous rounds, but when she rolled the "0" and we discovered the problem, I pointed out that it was either a 10 or a 20, and either one was good enough to hit, so that blow was good.

That was the intent. The dice were marked 0-9 twice, so that two of them could be used for a percentile roll. We were supposed to either color them in with different colors, or roll a second die for high or low.

We speculated that there wasn't room for two-digit numbers on that small surface, but that was a guess; I never asked any dice maker.

animorte
2022-09-14, 05:20 PM
This thread seems like it should instead be named “Fun with dice.”

gbaji
2022-09-14, 06:20 PM
That was the intent. The dice were marked 0-9 twice, so that two of them could be used for a percentile roll. We were supposed to either color them in with different colors, or roll a second die for high or low.

We speculated that there wasn't room for two-digit numbers on that small surface, but that was a guess; I never asked any dice maker.

It could also have had to do with carve out weight balance issues. With a die where the numbers are indents (carved out, and I'm sure there's an official term for this), there is clearly going to be a weight imbalance, since 1-9 will always have less mass removed from that die side than 10-20 (same set of numbers, but an extra "1" (or "2") worth of mass removed). To make the die sides more even, having the same 0-9 numbers twice, and including a crayon meant a more even weight distribution. Although, I suppose, if you just fill in one side with color, you could argue that the crayon itself was adding weight to one set, so coloring both would be even more "fair" for rolling.

Outside of folks who may be over-focused on the weight effects on die rolling, that format also allows for more utility. You can use it as a D10, D20, and (with two, presumably of different bg color) a D100. Believe it or not, I've run into people who get confused trying to use a D20 as a D10 when the extra digit shows up. Then again, the colors can confuse folks too. Guess if it's your die, you should pick what you want and run with it.

Oh. Could also have just been about the casting complexity. Fewer molds need to be made for the numbers if you just have 10 of them as opposed to 20 unique numbers. Seems like a minor issue, but they're all minor really.

I have a player at my table who has some D6 dice actually printed as D3s (they have dots for one, two, three repeated twice). Can be very confusing if he picks up the wrong die when actually rolling a D6 though.

PhoenixPhyre
2022-09-14, 06:24 PM
Only issue I've ever had is that my dice are lazy pacifists. Attack rolls? Crap. Either as a DM or a player. Ability checks? Meh. Better, but not great. Saving throws? Quite good. And that's consistent even with digital dice--when @KorvinStarmast has a bad night in our games, we call it "pulling a <my name>".

gbaji
2022-09-14, 07:00 PM
I'm also a notoriously bad die roller. Worse, there are two players in my regular gaming group who are notoriously lucky die rollers. Playing Talisman is an exercise in making sure to hand the die for someone else to roll against me to anyone other than those two (and then still losing a lot unless the odds are seriously in my favor). My luck is so bad that I actively work characters in that game to follow the path of craft (which is much more difficult to raise typically) instead of strength purely to avoid "dice with death". And heaven forbid after I've lost 4-6 lives (and turns) on that space, the werewolf will *always* have a 12 strength. Always... I'm not bitter though. Nope (actually I do love that game, but OMG!).

I actually wrote house rules for opposed combat skills checks in my RQ3 game specifically because the default rules leaned heavily towards "lucky roll wins", and as a player I had terrible luck with it. In RuneQuest, when attacking against an enemy who is dodging, and both succeed, the dodge wins (zero damage done). If the attack is a special success (20% of the total skill) it'll hit unless the dodge is also a special, and if it's a critical (5% of total skill) it'll hit unless the dodge is also a critical (basically, you have to hit one level better on the "miss->hit->special->critical" scale to overcome the dodge). One particular fight, my incredibly skilled warrior (220% attack skill IIRC), was fighting a basic skeleton (very wimpy opponent that was dodging and maybe had 70% or so chance). Spent the entire fight swinging at that stupid skeleton because I could not for the life of me roll low enough (44% in this case) to get a special and the darn thing just kept making its dodge.

Ok. Not about "dice" so much as "die rolling", but whatever.

Kurald Galain
2022-09-15, 04:28 AM

The reason is that d4, d6, d8, d12, and d20 are Platonic solids (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platonic_solid), and classic D&D uses only these dice shapes (and so, uses differently-marked d20 instead of d10). I'm not sure if this is because of purist/grognard superstition, or because production process for d10 turned out with uglier or less-random dice. "Proper" d10s were introduced to D&D at GenCon in 1980; this is sometimes referred to as the "invention of ten-sided dice" although they have existed far longer on a smaller scale.

animorte
2022-09-15, 05:27 AM
I'm not sure if this is because of purist/grognard superstition, or because production process for d10 turned out with uglier or less-random dice.

This bolded part was (maybe) a concern yet we still have a standard of playing with caltrops (d4) that barely even roll. :smalltongue:

Khedrac
2022-09-15, 07:05 AM
This bolded part was (maybe) a concern yet we still have a standard of playing with caltrops (d4) that barely even roll. :smalltongue:

Which is why I like the pentagonal dodecahedrons numbered I to IV three times for D4s.

Why do I say "pentagonal dodecahedrons"? - because I have managed to source some rhombic dodecahedron D12s which are quite hard to find.
(When it comes to naturally occurring crystals, "traditional" pentagonal dodecahedrons are very very rare - I was actually taught in a geology class that they don't exist which is incorrect. Rhombic dodecahedrons are the main naturally occurring ones and they also space-fill for extra fun. They are also very old - archeologists have found dice of this type in ancient remains.)

The biggest problem I have had with dice was probably D3s at university. Everyone used d6s for D3s, but I am aware of at least three methods for deriving the output and few people bothered to mention which they were using before rolling! This is why I actually bought some cubes numbered 1-3 twice.
three blocks:
1, 2 = 1
3, 4 = 2
5, 6 = 3

repeating sequence:
1, 4 = 1
2, 5 = 2
3, 6 = 3

top or bottom:
1, 6 = 1
2, 5 = 2
3, 4 = 3

animorte
2022-09-15, 07:25 AM
Which is why I like the pentagonal dodecahedrons numbered I to IV three times for D4s.

Why do I say "pentagonal dodecahedrons"? - because I have managed to source some rhombic dodecahedron D12s which are quite hard to find.

Oh, that’s cool. Need to get me one of those. Immediately reminded me of a stellated icosahedron I made some 12-15 years ago.

Telwar
2022-09-15, 10:23 AM
Oh, that’s cool. Need to get me one of those. Immediately reminded me of a stellated icosahedron I made some 12-15 years ago.

I got a bunch of 12-sided d4s off of a Kickstarter, and dear Lord they are awesome. It makes me actually want to cast magic missile.

Tanarii
2022-09-15, 12:06 PM
New players regularly have trouble figuring out which is the 8 sided and which is the ten sided. To a lesser degree, 12 and 20 sided. I have one player that went and bought a spindle 10 sided and a cylinder 8 sided so the difference was instantly obvious. But now he can't see what the result is at an easy glance, because the face size is way smaller.

D12s and d20s love to roll for a long time. Often right off the table.

I hate trying to read d4s with a value in each point of the triangle. I can't remember how old school dice used to do it, but I don't remember it being so distracting.

D10s with a trailing 0 to indicate it's the tens digit drive me crazy. I throw those away. Colored dice sets of one color need to come with one off color d10 and one matching color d10, not two of the same color with one having 00 thru 90.

The biggest problem I have had with dice was probably D3s at university. Everyone used d6s for D3s, but I am aware of at least three methods for deriving the output and few people bothered to mention which they were using before rolling! This is why I actually bought some cubes numbered 1-3 twice.
three blocks:
1, 2 = 1
3, 4 = 2
5, 6 = 3

repeating sequence:
1, 4 = 1
2, 5 = 2
3, 6 = 3

top or bottom:
1, 6 = 1
2, 5 = 2
3, 4 = 3Everyone knows 3 blocks is the correct method :smallamused:

Khedrac
2022-09-15, 03:50 PM
D12s and d20s love to roll for a long time. Often right off the table.
Never found D12s that bad, but if you think D20s bad try D30s - they really don't like stopping...
I have seen a D100 and reckoned it would roll for ages without a barrier - more like a golf ball.

Everyone knows 3 blocks is the correct method :smallamused:
It's certainly the method I used.

As for other less common dice:

I have 2 D30s, and I don't trust either of them. I have never tried a formal randomness test (chi-squared) but my impression is I get too many 1s and 30s.

I have a D24 which I think is a stellated cube. The problem is it is too stable - if rolled in a stright line it is far more likely to stay on the 16 faces that make up the 4 sides of a cube than to bounce sideways and generate one of the other 8 faces (dice trays for the win).

Also, I see a lot of nicely decorated dice at cons and in shops that require decent eyesight to read (you know you are getting old when all of your gaming group get out their reading classes to game) - these days the only new dice hat gets "oohs" fromt he group are those that are easy to read at a glance...

(I also saw some very fancy and expensive dice that managed to be white on top and black on the sides whichever way up they were - I looked more closely and realised that the cube was quite a long way off true - it looked good but I wouldn't trust it in a game.)

Velaryon
2022-09-17, 10:55 AM
At conventions, I tend to look around for weird dice to buy, and one year I found a d6 that basically reads :smallbiggrin::smallsmile::smallredface::smallanno yed::smallmad::smallfurious:

We've been using this for reactions of (relatively unimportant) NPCs.

Ooh, I need one of those! I've been using an old HeroQuest die for when I need to randomly determine whether something is favorable, neutral, or unfavorable to players. But this would be much better. You wouldn't happen to know the name of the company that makes it?

---

I guess for my own dice-problem story, one time I broke a d20 with a hammer. A friend glued it back together and now I call it Frankenstein. It still seems to bias toward rolling 3's, though.

Batcathat
2022-09-17, 01:08 PM
I guess for my own dice-problem story, one time I broke a d20 with a hammer. A friend glued it back together and now I call it Frankenstein. It still seems to bias toward rolling 3's, though.

What's the story? Bizarre accident? Taking out your rage over too many bad rolls? Hoping for treasure inside?

Socksy
2022-09-18, 07:38 AM
I've accidentally used a cube-shaped d2 as a d6 throughout a game of Everyone Is John. Took a while to realise that one.

As a GM, I kept a d18 with the d20s for use as a replacement d20 for if a player really bothered me. I never inflicted it on anyone, but it did get picked up a few times by accident.

animorte
2022-09-18, 09:38 AM
This also sounds like: tell me the origin story of when you learned never to trust the dice in your hand.

Kurald Galain
2022-09-18, 10:23 AM
As a GM, I kept a d18 with the d20s for use as a replacement d20 for if a player really bothered me. I never inflicted it on anyone, but it did get picked up a few times by accident.
Right! I once did this in a game of Paranoia: put a bunch of red dice in the center of the table for everyone to use (this was a spontaneous session so people hadn't brought their own RPG gear), and one blue one. Of course, the blue die is above your security clearance. Any player that touches it has his character die for no reason. Meta! :smallbiggrin:

Ooh, I need one of those! I've been using an old HeroQuest die for when I need to randomly determine whether something is favorable, neutral, or unfavorable to players. But this would be much better. You wouldn't happen to know the name of the company that makes it?I bought it at Das Spiel in Essen, if that helps.

(edit) search for "Smile dice" at Amazon.com and that's basically it.

KorvinStarmast
2022-09-18, 02:06 PM
I've accidentally used a cube-shaped d2 as a d6 throughout a game of Everyone Is John. Took a while to realise that one.
Every d6 is also a d2: odd is a 1, even is a 2. :smallwink:

J-H
2022-09-19, 10:59 AM
Going forward, I only buy dice that are high contrast, preferably white/black or black/white. It maybe pretty, but I don't have time to try to read golden lettering against a wavy green/gold background from 2 feet away. I roll the dice closer to me, but I sometimes need to help others with their math, and it's hard to do when I can't read the dice because there's no contrast.
Same with all the metal dice, black on dark grey doesn't work.

I have suggested the Dice of Rolling bag to new players several times:
https://diceofrolling.com/ (their battle tokens are also VERY nice)
This is what I will get for my boys when they are old enough to get their own dice instead of stealing and maybe returning mine.
Everything is nicely contrasted and visible.

I do have a couple of d20s that I favor using because they tend to roll a bit higher than average. Of course, when the party's in a jam and I switch away from them to the "meh" d20s, sometimes I still roll high. I haven't actually tracked or experimented scientifically, so this falls under "dice superstition."

calam
2022-09-19, 01:36 PM
All three of these stories are with digital dice

1. I was DMing a D20 modern campaign and for some reason no one, player or DM could roll above a 10 for any attack. The worst was one session where the battle against the queen parasite controlling the small town took over an hour and a half despite it being a CR+1 encounter. I ended up having to show a player the enemy character sheets to prove that I wasn't just throwing epic combats at them every time.

2. DMing again, this time in pathfinder and my players could do no wrong, any roll below 8 was rare and I kept throwing harder fights at them. At its peak they were able to take out an encounter of 15 level 3 warriors who were behind fortifications without taking damage despite also promising someone that they'd bring back their brother alive, forgetting to ask what their brother looked like and then choosing to suffer the -4 penalty to all attack roles.

3. player this time, playing a custom game that uses d10s for combat but d6s for things like table generation or calculating customers for the business section. The other player rolled a random generation and then proceeded to use d6s instead of d10s for combat for 4 turns.

Velaryon
2022-09-19, 01:52 PM
What's the story? Bizarre accident? Taking out your rage over too many bad rolls? Hoping for treasure inside?

Rage and stupidity. Seemed like I couldn't roll above a 3 all session. I finally grabbed a hammer and broke the die. And then felt like an idiot when I had to run to the game store mid-session to buy new dice. Fortunately I have a bit more maturity these days.

Right! I once did this in a game of Paranoia: put a bunch of red dice in the center of the table for everyone to use (this was a spontaneous session so people hadn't brought their own RPG gear), and one blue one. Of course, the blue die is above your security clearance. Any player that touches it has his character die for no reason. Meta! :smallbiggrin:

I bought it at Das Spiel in Essen, if that helps.

(edit) search for "Smile dice" at Amazon.com and that's basically it.

We must have gotten different search results. I searched "smile dice" and there's not a single result on the first page that has anything other than numbers or pips on the sides. Oh well.

Kurald Galain
2022-09-19, 02:01 PM
We must have gotten different search results. I searched "smile dice" and there's not a single result on the first page that has anything other than numbers or pips on the sides. Oh well.

https://www.amazon.com/Wondertrail-Smile-White-Different-Faces/dp/B073YSC32H

Imbalance
2022-09-19, 03:11 PM
HeroClix uses 2d6 for attacks, but a buddy of mine figured a d12 was the same thing until we ruled that since a critical miss is usually snake eyes he'd have to take damage on a result of 1 or 2. He switched back to cubes.

Same guy hooked me up with a pair of retired Vegas perfects, which were still astonishingly balanced despite a hole drilled halfway through. I've only ever used them in friendly games. One of them lives in my cupboard - it's how I choose which cereal to eat.

I've seen plenty of dice come to rest on odd angles, and more than a few that got stuck on points. It's no surprise when it's a sharp edged example that stabs into a game board, but kind of freaky when three d6 roll out of a Yahtzee cup and fix to a paper surface by their rounded points as if glued.

Tanarii
2022-09-19, 05:00 PM
HeroClix uses 2d6 for attacks, but a buddy of mine figured a d12 was the same thing until we ruled that since a critical miss is usually snake eyes he'd have to take damage on a result of 1 or 2. He switched back to cubes.

Why'd you rule that? He was already getting more critical misses on 1 in 12.

Quertus
2022-09-19, 05:53 PM
2. DMing again, this time in pathfinder and my players could do no wrong, any roll below 8 was rare and I kept throwing harder fights at them. At its peak they were able to take out an encounter of 15 level 3 warriors who were behind fortifications without taking damage despite also promising someone that they'd bring back their brother alive, forgetting to ask what their brother looked like and then choosing to suffer the -4 penalty to all attack roles.

That’s… glorious! :smallbiggrin:

Easy e
2022-09-21, 09:17 AM
I created a simple, fun, party RPG that only used Rory Story Cubes. You basically got to roll a pool of them from a random, blind dice bag then could keep a certain number to narrate your action.

The other more "problem" I have had with dice was getting proprietary dice for the new version of Legend of the 5 Rings. Sold out for a few months at my FLGS, and they have been on back order for a while.

Mastikator
2022-09-21, 12:08 PM
Going forward, I only buy dice that are high contrast, preferably white/black or black/white. It maybe pretty, but I don't have time to try to read golden lettering against a wavy green/gold background from 2 feet away. I roll the dice closer to me, but I sometimes need to help others with their math, and it's hard to do when I can't read the dice because there's no contrast.
Same with all the metal dice, black on dark grey doesn't work.

I have suggested the Dice of Rolling bag to new players several times:
https://diceofrolling.com/ (their battle tokens are also VERY nice)
This is what I will get for my boys when they are old enough to get their own dice instead of stealing and maybe returning mine.
Everything is nicely contrasted and visible.

I do have a couple of d20s that I favor using because they tend to roll a bit higher than average. Of course, when the party's in a jam and I switch away from them to the "meh" d20s, sometimes I still roll high. I haven't actually tracked or experimented scientifically, so this falls under "dice superstition."

I have a few friends who collect fancy bling dice. Only problem I have is that they're impossible to read. It's like "hey check out this gold plated set of dice I just got, it cost a fortune" *rolls dice* KA-PLONK, dents the table. If you look directly at it you see the face of eternity, but to see the results you need to hold it 1cm away from your eyeball.

Lord Torath
2022-09-21, 01:36 PM
Why'd you rule that? He was already getting more critical misses on 1 in 12.Precisely. You roll snake-eyes 1 in 36 on 2d6. On the other hand, it's also much easier to roll high on a d12. There's a 1-in-12 chance of rolling an 11+ on 2d6, and 1-in-6 on a d12.

gbaji
2022-09-21, 08:05 PM
Precisely. You roll snake-eyes 1 in 36 on 2d6. On the other hand, it's also much easier to roll high on a d12. There's a 1-in-12 chance of rolling an 11+ on 2d6, and 1-in-6 on a d12.

Yup. Dice math is fun. A general rule to always remember is that the more dice you are rolling, the greater the statistical odds are of rolling somewhere at or near the "average" result. On the flip side, fewer dice means a greater chance of rolling very high or very low. Multiple dice creates a bell curve of probabilities. Even with just 2d6, the total number combinations are 36 (6^2), and we get this progression of odds:

2 - 1/36
3 - 2/36
4 - 3/36
5 - 4/36
6 - 5/36
7 - 6/36 (this is "average", and will be rolled one out of every six times)
8 - 5/36
9 - 4/36
10 - 3/36
11 - 2/36
12 - 1/36

This effect gets stronger the more dice are rolled. This created an interesting bit of math and decision factors in a game like Champions where the two primary types of physical attacks could be "normal attacks" (1d6 stun per 5 power points, body damage is 0-2 depending on each die: 1=0, 2-5=1, 6=2)) or "killing attacks" (1d6 body per 15 power points, stun is a single d6-1 multiplier).

Normal attacks were very consistent. It was darn hard to do much outside the "average" value. Killing attacks, on the other hand, could vary wildly. This was actually by design though. The same cost could generate a 3d6 normal attack, or a 1d6 killing attack. The normal attack's maximum body was 6, and stun was 18. The killing attack also had a maximum of 6 body damage, but could potentially do up to (6*5) 30 stun. And would do that maximum one out of 36 times. Heck, there are 6 out of 36 dice combinations that will do equal or greater than 18 stun. So a 1 in 6 chance of doing as much or more damage to the opponent than the maximum on the "normal" attack (and you only have a 1/216 chance of that on 3d6). The flip side is you have a 1/6 chance of doing zero stun at all. Oops!

The decision factor this creates is when to use them. If the enemies defenses are lower than the average damage, then you should probably use a normal attack (average is 10.5 on 3d6, but the same cost killing attack average is only 8.75). So against weaker opponents (like say agents of the bad guys), normal attacks were best. You could consistently take them out, wheras there's nothing more embarrassing than your mighty hero blasting some nothing agent, and doing... nothing. When the bad guys have high defenses, you want to use killing attacks, because any damage done that is less than the defenses does nothing, so doing a lot less than the defense value instead of just a little less doesn't matter. It's how much you do that's more than the defensive value, so you doing consistently just a little less is useless, but occasionally doing a lot more is helpful and may save the day.

It's hard to see this factor with relatively low power attacks, but when you start comparing the odds and damage for say 9d6 normal vs 3d6 killing attacks, the difference in tactical value against agents with 10-12 points of defenses compared to a super villain with 30-35 or so is pretty massive. Against the agents, the average damage is going to knock them out pretty much every hit. Using a killing attack may give you a shot at super-duper knocking them out (which has no real value), but also a decent chance of getting a wha-wha-wha moment. Against the super? The opposite. The consistent near average of the normal attack will just plink away at him, maybe. Over time. If you have that much time. But the killing attack might get lucky and take him out (or seriously hurt him) in one hit.

Honestly loved Champions back in the day. It's probably the best game out there for teaching folks how to figure out dice odds (and learn how to quickly add up a *lot* of dice). Did I mention there are a *lot* of dice? Cause, there are a lotta-lotta dice involved. Rolling that many dice is therapeutic too!

Imbalance
2022-09-22, 07:18 AM
Yep. The ruling was mostly meant as a joke, explained at first to compensate for the fact that 2d6 can't result in 1, but more importantly, HeroClix was built on that bell curve. It was showing him how swingy the d12 was compared to his opponent landing hits by rolling the average on 2d6 literally multiple times in a row that brought the lesson home.