PDA

View Full Version : Gluing a Saddle to a Broom

SociopathFriend
2022-09-14, 04:55 PM
I can't think of any reason this won't work and so I turn to you, GitP-goer, to potentially check my ambition in case I am wrong.

I found Sovereign Glue a while back in the campaign.

I have an interest in:
1 - A Broom of Flying
2 - A Saddle of the Cavalier

And gluing them together. (I also plan on fluffing 'riding' as 'surfing' but that's besides the point)

Is there any given rule that will explicitly prevent this from working?

Mastikator
2022-09-14, 05:05 PM
Broom isn't a mount (https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/165667/how-does-the-broom-of-flying-behave). You can glue the saddle and it will stick to the broom, but you won't stick to the saddle.

SociopathFriend
2022-09-14, 06:09 PM
Broom isn't a mount (https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/165667/how-does-the-broom-of-flying-behave). You can glue the saddle and it will stick to the broom, but you won't stick to the saddle.

The question is more about the glue than the Saddle+Broom combo.

I acknowledge the Broom isn't a "mount" but that's a conversation to have with the DM.

PhantomSoul
2022-09-14, 06:12 PM
The question is more about the glue than the Saddle+Broom combo.

I acknowledge the Broom isn't a "mount" but that's a conversation to have with the DM.

I suppose since you need the DM in charge of whether there's any mechanical effect, asking the DM whether it works (probably, but could be completely useless for your Sovereign Glue) seems like a logical part of the same conversation!

SociopathFriend
2022-09-14, 06:13 PM
The DM's given me that glue in three different campaigns and vetoed every single premise of using it- including a basic, "Can I glue a sign that says, 'evil cultist' to this Priestess of Tiamat's head?"

So we'll see.

:D

PhantomSoul
2022-09-14, 06:15 PM
The DM's given me that glue in three different campaigns and vetoed every single premise of using it- including a basic, "Can I glue a sign that says, 'evil cultist' to this Priestess of Tiamat's head?"

So we'll see.

:D

If that request failed because of the glue (not e.g. because you couldn't access their head), this seems unlikely to work for any mechanical benefit...

EDIT: unless the question was whether the sign would stay on forever, in which case "no, eventually the skin will shed and be replaced or will rot off the corpse" would be logical to me

EDIT EDIT: I just looked up Sovereign Glue for a refresher and your DM is entirely correct: Sovereign Glue only binds two Objects (https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Sovereign%20Glue#content)

SociopathFriend
2022-09-14, 06:26 PM
If that request failed because of the glue (not e.g. because you couldn't access their head), this seems unlikely to work for any mechanical benefit...

EDIT: unless the question was whether the sign would stay on forever, in which case "no, eventually the skin will shed and be replaced or will rot off the corpse" would be logical to me

It failed by virtue of the DM stating, "I won't let you do that."

A similar line proceeded it when I asked if I could attack her.

PhantomSoul
2022-09-14, 06:30 PM
It failed by virtue of the DM stating, "I won't let you do that."

A similar line proceeded it when I asked if I could attack her.

Well, the DM was following the item description in the first case at least (see revision to above response).

If not being allowed to attack without justification is the whole story and you feel about the DM like it's sounding from your posts, you might prefer not to play with that person as DM (maybe this means someone else -- you included -- could DM for the same group) or you have a talk with the DM to iron things out.

SociopathFriend
2022-09-14, 07:00 PM
Oh I'm quite fine with the DM. I've always had a firm set of red lines and have no issue telling any DM what they are.

Disdain for a given position =/= unable to work with said position

For example, even if he tells me the saddle won't work on the broom, I'd just ask him if I could buy an equivalent magic item just for the broom.

And the alternative to that is to buy two entirely different Uncommon Items. Limitations aren't dead ends- just unexpected turns.

I just like doing my homework to maximize available table time. It's illegal to dissect the DM and so I instead make threads like this to check and dissect the rules.

The only time I've genuinely been upset with that DM's decisions involved an acid trap and him asserting, "You didn't say you KEPT searching when you entered the room so you don't even get your passive perception".

Talamare
2022-09-14, 11:17 PM
I can't think of any reason this won't work and so I turn to you, GitP-goer, to potentially check my ambition in case I am wrong.

I found Sovereign Glue a while back in the campaign.

I have an interest in:
1 - A Broom of Flying
2 - A Saddle of the Cavalier

And gluing them together. (I also plan on fluffing 'riding' as 'surfing' but that's besides the point)

Is there any given rule that will explicitly prevent this from working?

From what working?

From the broom sticking to your ass? Yea sure, Why not

Hell, skip the middle man (the Saddle) and just glue the broom to your ass

SociopathFriend
2022-09-15, 03:07 AM
From what working?

From the broom sticking to your ass? Yea sure, Why not

Hell, skip the middle man (the Saddle) and just glue the broom to your ass

You say that presumably in jest.

And yet...

Gluing it to my boots? Viable?

Beni-Kujaku
2022-09-15, 03:24 AM

And yet...

... Yes, if you're fine with not being able to use these boots again, since they will forever be stuck to the broom. Also, you need DM approval for that to work, since "This wooden broom, which weighs 3 pounds, functions like a mundane broom until you stand astride it and speak its Command word.". Standing atop is not standing astride.

Lord Vukodlak
2022-09-15, 04:53 AM
In one adventure our party killed a swamp witch and my Wizard claimed her flying Shovel. And instead of sitting on hit like everyone expected he stood on the spade.

You could try and attach something the base of the broom you can stand on it fly it up right. Rather then sitting on a thin piece of wood.

PhantomSoul
2022-09-15, 07:24 AM
... Yes, if you're fine with not being able to use these boots again, since they will forever be stuck to the broom. Also, you need DM approval for that to work, since "This wooden broom, which weighs 3 pounds, functions like a mundane broom until you stand astride it and speak its Command word.". Standing atop is not standing astride.

Plus keeping your balance standing on that broom like a wizard trying to cinematically catch a snitch... might be entertaining for the party!

Brookshw
2022-09-15, 07:47 AM

And yet...

Kind of a snowboard with stuck bindings? Sounds good.

Person_Man
2022-09-15, 12:53 PM
Maybe you could stick it to the armor of an ally, and ride them instead, MasterBlaster style? Or convince a druid to be your mount, no glue required.

stoutstien
2022-09-18, 06:31 AM
As a DM I'd allow it just because the shear insanity they can get into with that glue is way worse than them getting a little bit of help staying on a flying object.

SociopathFriend
2022-09-22, 05:27 PM
Just to supply a conclusion for those interested-

The DM's rulings:
1. Broom is a Mount
2. Broom takes damage like a Mount
3. Broom has 10 AC and 15 HP (plus resists)
4. Saddles works on Broom and Glue works on both
5. Mending restores Broom HP so long at it isn't at 0
6. Glue can fix 0 HP Broom once per 'dab' or whatever the uses are called