PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Dragonfire Adept Humanoid Shape forms

DragonIceAdept
2022-09-15, 08:08 PM
I'm looking at the best forms for the Humanoid Shape invocation, referring to the Dragonfire Adept Handbook (https://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=15686.0). But many of these forms don't actually work. Stingtail Asabi were updated to be monstrous humanoids in the PGtF Monster Update Web Enhancement, as were Gibberlings. Constrictor Nagas were made monstrous humanoids in the Dragon 318 OA update.

This thread is for finding other good forms for Humanoid Shape that are still allowed. So far I've found:

Hornhead Saurials (Serpent Kingdoms Web Enhancement) - Large
Earth Mephling (Planar Handbook) - 10 ft Burrow speed
O'bati (Web article) or Imago (Savage Species Web Enhancement) - poison, 1d6 dex primary and secondary
4 Armed Mutant Gargoyle (Tomb of Horrors Revised) - very powerful form, probably should be monstrous humanoid like normal gargoyles

Are there any notable forms I've missed?

EDIT: The asabi are seemingly still normal humanoids per Serpent Kingdoms, which came out after PGtF, but this is mentioned in flavor text, not statblocks. What do you think?

Saintheart
2022-09-15, 08:40 PM
I don't know if you'd call them notable, but Neanderthals (Frostburn), Vashar (BoVD), Kagonesti (Dragonlance CS), and Gully Dwarves (Dragonlance CS) all qualify as humanoid for these purposes, and aren't mentioned in that handbook.

DragonIceAdept
2022-09-15, 09:03 PM
I'm specifically looking for forms that have notable/worthwhile/cool special abilities for the purposes of Humanoid Shape, which works like Change Shape. You keep the (Ex) powers but not any Sus or SLAs

Khedrac
2022-09-16, 02:42 AM
The good old default of troglodytes and not only common enough to give the player a good chance of convincing the DM that their character does know of them, but have really good natural armor and the stink effect.

Catfolk get 40' move for when you are chasing/fleeing or just overland travelling
Locathah get 60' swim
Quite a few races get "small" bonuses and 30' move
Snow and Forestkith goblins get climb speeds

(If you can justify them, crucians get even better natural armor +8)

Asmotherion
2022-09-16, 05:31 AM
There exists a race of Winged Elves called Avariel. They have a flying speed.

Troglodytes have a +6 Natural Armor and 90 feet Darkvision.

pabelfly
2022-09-16, 06:43 AM
Dungeon Magazine #136 (p61) has the Obah-Blessed template. It doesn't change your type, so you could apply it to a proposed humanoid and still be humanoid, but you'd have four (or six) arms, a bunch of stat boosts, and a free Multiweapon Fighting feat.

remetagross
2022-09-16, 08:28 AM
When going underground, Duergars have 120ft darkvision and stonecunning. Stability as an added perk.

DragonIceAdept
2022-09-16, 03:39 PM
The good old default of troglodytes and not only common enough to give the player a good chance of convincing the DM that their character does know of them, but have really good natural armor and the stink effect.

Catfolk get 40' move for when you are chasing/fleeing or just overland travelling
Locathah get 60' swim
Quite a few races get "small" bonuses and 30' move
Snow and Forestkith goblins get climb speeds

(If you can justify them, crucians get even better natural armor +8)

Snow and Forestkith are good finds. Tren are trogs but even better (+8 natural armor, claws, just an awesome form), varags have 60' move.

Thurbane
2022-09-19, 06:22 PM
Dabus (EttDP) have Floating Form, which is kind of interesting. You don't actually fly, but you avoid most terrain based effects.

Crake
2022-09-20, 12:13 AM
Dungeon Magazine #136 (p61) has the Obah-Blessed template. It doesn't change your type, so you could apply it to a proposed humanoid and still be humanoid, but you'd have four (or six) arms, a bunch of stat boosts, and a free Multiweapon Fighting feat.

Change shape cant turn you into a templated creature. It also doesnt change your ability scores, so stat boosts are irrelevant

Tusen
2022-09-20, 01:21 AM
I almost did a post that had a few races on it before I actually checked and saw that humanoid shape uses change shape and not alter self as a base, which changes things a bit (namely you get racial modifiers to skills with alter self, which makes skulks situational but really good in the circumstances that you need extra hide and MS). However, since that's not on the table I'll just add one.

Although not as good as Tren in the majority of circumstances, Bakemono is interesting at least (it's also surprising that they're humanoid, then again they're surprising overall given the name used and what they actually are). +6 NA, 1d8 bite and 2x 1d6 claw along with being small. So overall its AC is almost as good as the Tren but it has stronger attacks, plus it can squeeze into tighter places and becomes more accurate.