PDA

View Full Version : polymorph any object questions (when cast on an urban druid urban companion)

Soranar
2022-09-16, 09:17 PM
Ok so this spell is making my head hurt and I figured I'd ask the forum for their interpretation of it

-an urban druid gets an urban companion that gets all the powers of a druid's animal companion but one of the options is a construct (animated object)

-constructs can get bonus HD but, since they have no INT score, they have no feats

at level 15, I can transform my construct companion into a marut permanently since:

Same kingdom (animal, vegetable, mineral) +5
Same class (mammals, fungi, metals, etc.) +2
Related (twig is to tree, wolf fur is to wolf, etc.)+2

Here's my questions that need answers

-Now that my construct has an INT score, does he retroactively get feats?
-If he does gain feats and skillpoints and someone dispels the effect, does he lose them?
-Can PAO be dispelled even though the effect is permanent?

Now for the bonus round

-if I transform my urban companion into a stone golem and he's immune to magic, does this mean the transformation can never be dispelled?

InvisibleBison
2022-09-16, 09:36 PM
-Now that my construct has an INT score, does he retroactively get feats?

There doesn't seem to be a default for what happens when a mindless creature gains an Int score. There are two templates that I know of that give creatures Int scores, Incarnate Construct and Sentry Ooze; the former doesn't bestow skills or feats, and the latter does. So I think this is an area where you have to ask your DM.

-If he does gain feats and skillpoints and someone dispels the effect, does he lose them?

I'm not 100% sure, but I think there's a basis for saying that a creature that loses its Int score doesn't lose its skills or feats. First, the rules don't prohibit mindless creatures from having skills or feats, only from gaining them. Second, templates that make creatures mindless (such as zombie or skeleton) explicitly say that the creature loses its skills and feats, which implies that mindlessness alone would not cause that.

-Can PAO be dispelled even though the effect is permanent?

Yes, permanent magic can be dispelled. That's the main difference between permanent and instantaneous durations.

-if I transform my urban companion into a stone golem and he's immune to magic, does this mean the transformation can never be dispelled?

No. Despite the name, golems' magic immunity doesn't make them immune to all magic, only to spells that allow for spell resistance. Since dispel magic doesn't allow for SR, golems are vulnerable to it and a creature polymorphed into a golem can have the polymorph effect dispelled.