PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Seasonal Domains

Shockwave
2022-09-18, 07:44 AM
Afternoon Everyone

I'm looking for published Domains for the 4 traditional seasons, I've found some of them in different locations (Winter and Summer) but they weren't built with the others in mind, so there is no internal synergy.

Failing finding a published ones, your help with Homebrew ones would be useful.

Quertus
2022-09-18, 07:52 AM
Where did you find Winter and Summer, and what did they give you?

Tzardok
2022-09-18, 08:09 AM
Where did you find Winter and Summer, and what did they give you?

Winter is in Frostburn, grants a sacred bonus to Wisdom based skills during winter and is mostly made up of snow and weather related spells.

Summer is in Sandstorm, grants adaption to hot climates and a sacred bonus to Wisdom based skills during summer, and is made up of a mixture of desert, light and weather related spells.

Jack_Simth
2022-09-18, 09:20 AM
Winter is in Frostburn, grants a sacred bonus to Wisdom based skills during winter and is mostly made up of snow and weather related spells.

Summer is in Sandstorm, grants adaption to hot climates and a sacred bonus to Wisdom based skills during summer, and is made up of a mixture of desert, light and weather related spells.

We have a partial pattern, then. Presumably Spring and Autumn would also grant a Sacred bonus to Wisdom-based skills during their respective seasons.

So the question becomes what does one associate with spring and autumn to generate the spell list?

Jervis
2022-09-18, 09:31 AM
We have a partial pattern, then. Presumably Spring and Autumn would also grant a Sacred bonus to Wisdom-based skills during their respective seasons.

So the question becomes what does one associate with spring and autumn to generate the spell list?

Presumably spring would be spells relating to plant growth and life while fall would be food generation and things dying. I can see goodberry on both the prior and create food/heroes feast on the other.

Tzardok
2022-09-18, 10:47 AM
In my games, Winter also grants an adaption to cold climates to make it a better reflection of Summer.

One could give Spring and Autumn similiar adaptions. For example, hmmm...

I associate Autumn with storms, so maybe the ability to treat winds as if they were one category weaker. And with Spring I think of flooding, so a boost to swimming in running water perhaps?

pabelfly
2022-09-18, 12:02 PM
All I know is that any homebrew Spring Domain should grant the Spring Attack feat.

In my games, Winter also grants an adaption to cold climates to make it a better reflection of Summer.

One could give Spring and Autumn similiar adaptions. For example, hmmm...

I associate Autumn with storms, so maybe the ability to treat winds as if they were one category weaker. And with Spring I think of flooding, so a boost to swimming in running water perhaps?

There are domains already for Storm, Entropy, and Hunt domains if they're appropriate for Autumn, and Life and Plant domains for Spring, if the TC wants to use them as reference. Those are terms I'd associate with the two anyway.

Shockwave
2022-09-18, 12:53 PM

Seems Fair, I also like the idea of Winter/Summer granted Endure Elements to cold/ hot. But what for Spring and Autumn??

Biggus
2022-09-18, 01:52 PM
Autumn is known as the season of mists, there are several mist-based spells, could be one way to differentiate it.

Troacctid
2022-09-18, 05:46 PM
Here's some homebrew for ya.

Spring Domain
Improved Reincarnation (Su): When you or a creature within 5 feet of you is subjected to any reincarnate effect, roll twice to determine the target's new race and use either result. Additionally, during the spring season, you gain a +2 bonus on all Wisdom-based checks.
1. Cloudburst (SC)
2. Restoration, Lesser
3. Plant Growth
4. Reincarnate
5. Atonement
6. Restoration, Greater
7. Control Weather
8. Flashflood (Sa)
9. True Reincarnate (MW)

Autumn Domain
Harvest Bag (Su): You can summon a Harvest Bag as a full-round action. A Harvest Bag acts as a normal sack, except that nonmagical vegetable matter stored in the Harvest Bag magically retains its freshness, and will not spoil or rot as long as it remains inside. You may have only one Harvest Bag at a time; if you already have a Harvest Bag when you attempt to summon a new one, the old one lingers for 1 minute before vanishing. Additionally, during the autumn season, you gain a +2 bonus on all Wisdom-based checks.
1. Goodberry
2. Gust of Wind
3. Create Food and Water
4. Spell Matrix, Lesser (SC)
5. Solid Fog
6. Heroes' Feast
7. Control Weather
8. Whirlwind
9. Spell Matrix, Greater (SC)

Shockwave
2022-09-19, 12:38 PM
So, I've slept on it a bit, thought about it while at work.

So, for the "Seasonal buff" I'm thinking one of the following.

+2 Wisdom (Yes, Very Powerful, but for my world, not entirely out of sync)
+1 Caster Level, (Again powerful)
+2 to All Wisdom based checks (Bit basic but in line with published material)

So, if I was doing a "generic" DnD seasonal domain, I would use the 3rd one. But, the "Ideals" (Gods) in my HB, only the most powerful four will have/ allow access to the seasonal Domains. Also 75% of the time, there is no buff.

As for the "always on" buffs
Summer/ Winter will get Level 1 protection already stated in the published Summer Domain (Down graded from the Endure Elements I was originally thinking which is Level 3 Protection)

@Troacctid
I Like most of your spell lists there, but due to HB considerations The Reincarnates will need to be changed, and not a fan of the Spell Matrix's, but the rest I like so, Stolen. The Harvest Bag is neat, but it's not speaking to me.

Troacctid
2022-09-19, 02:01 PM
@Troacctid
I Like most of your spell lists there, but due to HB considerations The Reincarnates will need to be changed, and not a fan of the Spell Matrix's, but the rest I like so, Stolen. The Harvest Bag is neat, but it's not speaking to me.
Not a fan of storing spells for the winter?

You can replace the reincarnates with seed of life or panacea at 4 and true resurrection or freedom at 9. The spell matrices could be replaced with prismatic mist or air walk at 4 and maximized fire seeds or feast of champions at 9.

spectralphoenix
2022-09-19, 07:08 PM
Not really what you were asking for, but have you considered a single Seasonal domain with a rotating spell list? I feel like a domain that gave bonuses only on one season would either be disappointing or overfitted, since waiting six months for your bonuses to kick in is not going to be an option for most campaigns.

Jervis
2022-09-20, 12:54 PM
Not really what you were asking for, but have you considered a single Seasonal domain with a rotating spell list? I feel like a domain that gave bonuses only on one season would either be disappointing or overfitted, since waiting six months for your bonuses to kick in is not going to be an option for most campaigns.

Keep in mind substitute domain is a thing. You’re probably taking the domain more for the spell list since the bonus is pretty minor for the two published domains. I’d personally be tempted to make a feat that lets you swap out seasonal domain spells. Possibly lets you have the domain granted power based on the season while letting you use the domain spell list of all four at once. Might be a bit over tuned but shouldn’t cause that much of a problem depending on how powerful each one is

Troacctid
2022-09-20, 04:16 PM
This sounds like a good feature to give to a themed prestige class, and a very awkward feature to try and give to a base cleric.

lylsyly
2022-09-20, 04:33 PM
This sounds like a good feature to give to a themed prestige class, and a very awkward feature to try and give to a base cleric.

Think about Dragonlance where your ability to cast spells was affected by which of the 3 moons was in the sky. The Domain of Seasons could very well be set up as a single Domain that had different effects in different seaasons.

Troacctid
2022-09-20, 04:58 PM
Think about Dragonlance where your ability to cast spells was affected by which of the 3 moons was in the sky. The Domain of Seasons could very well be set up as a single Domain that had different effects in different seaasons.
Yes, but you'll recall that the Dragonlance version of the mechanic was also part of a prestige class, the Wizard of High Sorcery.

lylsyly
2022-09-21, 07:11 AM
Just an example of how something else in the game worked like how I was describing a single Domain of Seasons.
It would have to be homebrewed so RAW don't mean nuttin.