PDA

View Full Version : The Reaver's Book of Poetry

Dr.Samurai
2022-09-20, 10:38 PM
I've just started playing an Against the Giants campaign set in Greyhawk (minor spoilers ahead, maybe). The party is level 11 and I'm playing a Human Rune Knight themed as a devotee of Erythnul, granted power by the god of slaughter to take revenge on his murderous brother. The DM has allowed me to reskin his abilities in such a way that when he uses Giant's Might he looks like an ogre, when he activates the Hill Giant rune, he looks like a Troll regenerating, etc. So he changes shape (visually only) in combat as Erythnul does.

While I was reading about Erythnul, I learned that he likes his prayers in the form of violent rhymes. So I decided limericks would be a part of this character's identity, and I thought I'd just post the ones he has said in the campaign so far (we're only 2 sessions in). They might be a bit clunky (I don't know the actual rule for limericks and some of these I come up with on the spot depending on the situation), but try and read them with the right rhythm if you can lol. The Reaver sometimes speaks these more than he says them in a sing-songy voice. Meaning, I make it work :smalltongue:.

Backstory. I included this rhyme in my backstory in the reveal of the Reaver's motif when he executes an evil member of St. Cuthbert's clergy:

Tis I, the ravaging Reaver,
Don't say you're not a believer,

At the end of your time,
All you'll hear is a rhyme,

Before meeting my butchering cleaver!

1. Introduction to the party. Because of the Reaver's history as a violent vigilante, he was not invited to the King's Counsel as the other party members were. Instead, he felt called by Erythnul to be on the road and bumped into the others on the way to the giant Steading. When they said they were heading to the Steading:

Our quest is to drive off these giants
Though I'm sure we will find them defiant

To encourage their silence
We'll engage in much violence

Then the giants will be most compliant

2. Introduction to the 4th party member, who was apart from the group as well and asked the Reaver's name (he wears an executioner's mask):

My name will never be known
My face will never be shown

But if you're most eager
You can call me The Reaver

And now all pleasantries are done

3. Dealing the killing blow to a giant they ambushed that was sleeping in the watchtower:

Such a shame for a mighty giant host
To have found you asleep at your post

You have caused great harm
To the townsfolk and farms

So now we've made you a ghost!

4. Leaping off the stairs to cleave a giant with his greataxe (attack missed, giant alerted rest of the steading):

Arise and take arms or run!
But your days of pillaging are done!

Your killing sprees
Hit the wrong Duchy

And now the REAL monsters have come!

5. When the druid cast Erupting Earth and the ranger cast Spike Growth:

The earth trembles underfoot!
All your size and strength are moot!

The rubble will trip you
The spikes they will rip you

Bloody death to the giants and brutes!

More to come, but I am enjoying this character a lot, and everyone gets a kick out of the rhymes when they pop up. Hope you enjoy :smallbiggrin:.