PDA

View Full Version : rule clarification concerning Polymorph any object

Soranar
2022-09-22, 05:40 AM
If I transform a construct with say hardness 10 into another type of construct through polymorph any object

-do I keep my original hardness or do I gain the hardness of whatever construct I transformed into if it has any?

Paragon
2022-09-22, 06:35 AM
Do you means Damage Reduction instead of hardness ?

Because hardness is the property of objects so if you use PAO to poly into an object you gain its hardness (careful about the special material clause though)
If you poly an object into a creature you forget about the hardness and get the DR from the target creature

Soranar
2022-09-22, 06:40 AM
Do you means Damage Reduction instead of hardness ?

Because hardness is the property of objects so if you use PAO to poly into an object you gain its hardness (careful about the special material clause though)
If you poly an object into a creature you forget about the hardness and get the DR from the target creature

nope it's a construct with hardness (say a psicrystal has hardness 8) that PAO into another construct without hardness, does it lose its original hardness?

Paragon
2022-09-22, 07:08 AM
nope it's a construct with hardness (say a psicrystal has hardness 8) that PAO into another construct without hardness, does it lose its original hardness?

Well PAO says this "This spell functions like polymorph" and proceeds to exclude the differences between the two.
Polymorph as a similar capture : "This spell functions like alter self"

And Alter Self gives you your answer : "You retain all supernatural and spell-like special attacks and qualities of your normal form, except for those requiring a body part that the new form does not have (such as a mouth for a breath weapon or eyes for a gaze attack). You keep all extraordinary special attacks and qualities derived from class levels (such as a barbarian's rage ability), but you lose any from your normal form that are not derived from class levels (such as a dragon's frightful presence ability)."

So you have to find the stat block for a Psicrystal and determine whether the hardness is within the special qualities or not.

Venger
2022-09-23, 01:33 AM
It is an sq not derived from class levels (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/psicrystal.htm) so you would lose it when paoing into a shadesteel golem or whatever.