PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed [3.5] Savage Progression Warlock Build Help

Fuzzy Math
2022-09-22, 10:26 AM
After deciding the Wizard (and all the options entailed) were a bit much for me to wrap my mind around for my tentative third step into Arcane classes, I've now decided to go with Warlock. While doing some research, I came across the suggestion of Feytouched/Half-Fey for race using Savage Progression and I think I understand how it works. I take Feytouched as the base race, then apply the Half-Fey transition class rather than take the Racial Class for Feytouched. I'm trying to come to grips with how it works, so that is what I'm asking for help with, so let's see if I'm understanding. I start with Feytouched as the race and do not take the racial class, putting me at LA +0. Then to apply half-fey, I do not take the first racial class because I'm already Feytouched, but I take the 2nd racial class (the one that gives me Enchantment immunities and wings), which puts me at LA +1. So me levels would look something like this?

Half-Fey 1/Warlock XX with LA +1

If this is correct, am I not getting HD or skills for the Half-fey class level? I'm fine with that, given all the goodies I'm getting, I just want to make sure I'm doing things correctly.

Shout out to @Troacctid for the most excellent Warlockopedia!

Troacctid
2022-09-22, 12:47 PM
Both of the half-fey racial classes grant enchantment immunity and wings. The difference is one of them is two levels long, and the other is only a single level. The one you want is here (https://web.archive.org/web/2/https://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd%2Fsp%2F20040319a).

The half-fey level gives you a level adjustment instead of providing HD or skills. So a warlock 1/half-fey transition 1 would be an ECL 2 character with only 1 HD, exactly the same as e.g. a hobgoblin warlock 1.

Fuzzy Math
2022-09-22, 02:10 PM
Both of the half-fey racial classes grant enchantment immunity and wings. The difference is one of them is two levels long, and the other is only a single level. The one you want is here (https://web.archive.org/web/2/https://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd%2Fsp%2F20040319a).

The half-fey level gives you a level adjustment instead of providing HD or skills. So a warlock 1/half-fey transition 1 would be an ECL 2 character with only 1 HD, exactly the same as e.g. a hobgoblin warlock 1.

So, to see if I'm understanding properly, I'd start off as Feytouched which provides me this:

Feytouched Base Racial Features

Ability Score Adjustments: +2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution, +2 Charisma.
Fey Type
Low-Light Vision (Ex)
Saving Throw Bonuses: A feytouched has a +4 racial bonus on saving throws against mind-affecting effects.
Automatic Languages: Common, Sylvan. Bonus Languages: Elven, Gnome, Halfling.

Then I take a "level" in the Half-Fey Transition, which will provide me this in addition to the above:

Feytouched/Half-Fey Transition Class Features

Ability Score Changes: +2 Wisdom, +2 Charisma
Immunity to Enchantments (Ex): A feytouched/half-fey is immune to all spells and effects from the Enchantment school.
Spell-Like Abilities: Starting at 1st level, a feytouched/half-fey with an Intelligence or Wisdom score of 8 or better gains spell-like abilities. The exact abilities gained depend on her character level, according to the following table. In each case, the caster level equals the feytouched/half-fey's character level. Save DCs, where applicable, are Charisma-based (10 + spell level + feytouched/half-fey's Charisma modifier).

Minimum Character Level
Spell-Like Abilities Gained

1st
Charm person at will, faerie fire or glitterdust 1/day, hypnotism 1/day

3rd
Detect law 3/day, enthrall or sleep 1/day

5th
Protection from law 3/day

7th
Confusion or emotion 1/day

9th
Eyebite or lesser geas 1/day

11th
Dominate person or hold monster 1/day

13th
Mass invisibility 1/day

15th
Geas/quest or mass suggestion 1/day

17th
Insanity or mass charm 1/day

19th
Otto's irresistible dance 1/day

Wings (Ex): A feytouched/half-fey grows insectlike wings (usually butterfly-type), which she may use to fly at up to double her base land speed with good maneuverability."

Leveling would be HFT 1(No HD or skills)/Warlock 1, with a Level Adjustment +1, and the total package of:

Ability Score Adjustments: +2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom, +4 Charisma.
Fey Type
Low-Light Vision (Ex)
Saving Throw Bonuses: A feytouched has a +4 racial bonus on saving throws against mind-affecting effects.
Automatic Languages: Common, Sylvan. Bonus Languages: Elven, Gnome, Halfling.
Immunity to Enchantments (Ex)
Spell-Like Abilities

Am I tracking correctly?

Troacctid
2022-09-22, 05:08 PM
Well I wouldn't write it as Half-fey 1/Warlock 1/LA +1 since that makes it look like you're double counting the LA. And you would take warlock first, of course.

The transition class has a typo in the SLAs. There's supposed to be suggestion or hideous laughter 1/day at level 5. You also have to account for the 3.5 update, which changes emotion to crushing despair or good hope, and adds DR 5/cold iron.

Other than that, it seems good!

Fuzzy Math
2022-09-22, 09:31 PM
Well I wouldn't write it as Half-fey 1/Warlock 1/LA +1 since that makes it look like you're double counting the LA. And you would take warlock first, of course.

I guess I was double counting it? I believe I'm understanding it now; my brain was doing literal translations, I think.

"Feytouched creatures bear the fingerprint of the weird and pay for it with a +1 level adjustment. Those who embrace their wild side can go on to become half-fey, and this transition requires only one level instead of the normal two for the standard template class."

I was taking the base of feytouched (which would be like a standard race with no LA), with no racial class, adding the half-fey "class level", then adding the +1 level adjustment.

Let me see if I'm tracking what you're saying. The half-fey transition "class level" is the LA, it was just class-ifying what the LA represented and not saying class level plus the LA? It's just Warlock 1/Half-Fey 1, no added LA?

The transition class has a typo in the SLAs. There's supposed to be suggestion or hideous laughter 1/day at level 5. You also have to account for the 3.5 update, which changes emotion to crushing despair or good hope, and adds DR 5/cold iron.

Other than that, it seems good!

Thanks for pointing out the typo and the change to emotion; I was trying to find that spell in the PHB/SpC! Does that DR 5/cold iron stack with the DR X/cold iron from warlock?

Troacctid
2022-09-22, 10:01 PM
I guess I was double counting it? I believe I'm understanding it now; my brain was doing literal translations, I think.

"Feytouched creatures bear the fingerprint of the weird and pay for it with a +1 level adjustment. Those who embrace their wild side can go on to become half-fey, and this transition requires only one level instead of the normal two for the standard template class."

I was taking the base of feytouched (which would be like a standard race with no LA), with no racial class, adding the half-fey "class level", then adding the +1 level adjustment.

Let me see if I'm tracking what you're saying. The half-fey transition "class level" is the LA, it was just class-ifying what the LA represented and not saying class level plus the LA? It's just Warlock 1/Half-Fey 1, no added LA?
Right. The Half-Fey level is the LA.

Thanks for pointing out the typo and the change to emotion; I was trying to find that spell in the PHB/SpC! Does that DR 5/cold iron stack with the DR X/cold iron from warlock?
No, it overlaps.