PDA

View Full Version : Silvery Barbs vs Initiative?

MarkVIIIMarc
2022-09-23, 02:14 PM
I may of already asked, but what is the interaction between Silvery Barbs and an Opponents Initiative Roll?

Assuming it does work:

Is it considered using my Reaction until my turn comes up in combat?

Seems to be a neat way to give out round 1 advantage...

PhantomSoul
2022-09-23, 02:18 PM
I'd read Initiative as not triggering Silvery Barbs as RAW;

Casting Time: 1 reaction, which you take when a creature you can see within 60 feet of yourself succeed on an attack roll, an ability check, or a saving throw.

It's not really a case where your Ability Check "succeeds".

Keltest
2022-09-23, 02:37 PM

Adding to this, combat rounds don't start until after initiative is determined. You don't have a reaction to spend yet.

PhoenixPhyre
2022-09-23, 02:58 PM

Yeah. Initiative doesn't have a DC, so it can't really succeed or fail. And you don't see it happening, it's entirely meta.

diplomancer
2022-09-23, 03:50 PM
Adding to this, combat rounds don't start until after initiative is determined. You don't have a reaction to spend yet.

Reactions have no relation to combat rounds. A Wizard can have the party jump off a cliff during Exploration and have his Reaction to cast Feather Fall, for instance.

But I agree Silvery Barbs should not work on initiative; Cutting Words does though, and it's also a reaction.

MarkVIIIMarc
2022-09-24, 05:27 PM
Reactions have no relation to combat rounds. A Wizard can have the party jump off a cliff during Exploration and have his Reaction to cast Feather Fall, for instance.

But I agree Silvery Barbs should not work on initiative; Cutting Words does though, and it's also a reaction.

By coincidence my character also has cutting words!

Advent
2022-09-25, 01:51 PM
Personally I don't think I'd allow that at my table, that would end up cast every combat encounter ever and take some of the challenge and randomness away

animorte
2022-09-25, 02:57 PM
Personally I don't think I'd allow that at my table, that would end up cast every combat encounter ever and take some of the challenge and randomness away

That’s what surprise rounds are for. :smallwink:

Psyren
2022-09-26, 12:44 AM

This. While we use terms like "win initiative" colloquially, there is no DC and therefore no actual success/failure for Initiative.

That’s what surprise rounds are for. :smallwink:

Those aren't really a thing in 5e. There is just the first round, during which some number of the combatants may or may not have the surprised condition.

stoutstien
2022-09-26, 03:12 AM
Initiative is an ability contest so SB wouldn't apply.

Selion
2022-09-26, 07:37 AM

So... according to RAW spells like shield and absorb elements don't work against traps and hazards happening outside initiative order?

EDIT: the question has already been answered in previous posts, i noticed

NecessaryWeevil
2022-09-26, 12:47 PM
And you don't see it happening, it's entirely meta.

Silvery barbs requires you to see the creature who succeeds. It doesn't require you to see the creature succeed.
Irrelevant of course because you're right - it doesn't apply in this case anyway.