PDA

View Full Version : Does Paladin/Bard have synergy in this edition?

NeoVid
2022-09-24, 12:57 AM
I've been mostly unable to keep up with tabletop games for the past several years (relatable, I'm sure), so my encyclopedic knowledge of previous editions is more like half a pamphlet for 5e. Pal/Bard or the other way around isn't a multiclass I've seen anyone talk about, so I'm wondering if it can even be a workable combination. This came to mind because I was looking for RL examples of things that could work as paladin codes, and one that demanded to be used for a character concept was this one. (https://mycoai.com/code-of-ethics/) However, a character using that code of ethics would have to also be a Bard, which adds an interesting extra layer on the concept.

I guess I'm asking for low level Bard/Pally options that would be engaging for at least a short adventure where I could try this dumb(?) idea out.

Also, a bit of a warning: I was the kind of player who spent his free time on WotC's official Theoretical Optimization forum back in the day, so 'effective' is step 1 of 'fun' when it comes to builds I enjoy. Compared to how much I played 3.5 and 4th, I'm going in blind on 5e now, so I don't really have the system mastery to judge what's good for myself.

LudicSavant
2022-09-24, 01:30 AM
I've been mostly unable to keep up with tabletop games for the past several years (relatable, I'm sure), so my encyclopedic knowledge of previous editions is more like half a pamphlet for 5e. Pal/Bard or the other way around isn't a multiclass I've seen anyone talk about, so I'm wondering if it can even be a workable combination. This came to mind because I was looking for RL examples of things that could work as paladin codes, and one that demanded to be used for a character concept was this one. (https://mycoai.com/code-of-ethics/) However, a character using that code of ethics would have to also be a Bard, which adds an interesting extra layer on the concept.

I guess I'm asking for low level Bard/Pally options that would be engaging for at least a short adventure where I could try this dumb(?) idea out.

Also, a bit of a warning: I was the kind of player who spent his free time on WotC's official Theoretical Optimization forum back in the day, so 'effective' is step 1 of 'fun' when it comes to builds I enjoy. Compared to how much I played 3.5 and 4th, I'm going in blind on 5e now, so I don't really have the system mastery to judge what's good for myself.

It has some measure of synergy. 2 levels of Paladin will give you a Fighting Style, armor/shield proficiency, and smites. A Swords Bard could certainly make use of that.

Alternatively, you could take enough levels in Paladin to grab your aura and then jump off into Bard to scale your casting and smite slots, much as with Sorcadins.

In both cases you're looking at around level 8 for it to really start being a Bardadin instead of just one or the other.

Waazraath
2022-09-24, 03:39 AM

Given how backgrounds work in 5e, you might consider taking a (dex based) ancients paladin with the entertainer background and call it a day. Pally is one of the most powerful classes in 5e by itself, and multiclassing out of it before level 6 (or 7 for ancients) is imo rarely worth it.

Having said that, if you really want the multiclass, I'd consider paladin 2 (for shield / armor) and after that swords, as LS also mentioned. The full spell casting synergizes well with the smites, you'll get 2 fighting styles, and some defense at lower levels (which is a weak point for most bards). You'll struggle at level 5 (when single classes get either extra attack or relative powerful spells) - you can mitigate this with a melee attack cantrip (booming blade or greenflame blade), you can get one through race (high elf or variant half elf) or with a feat. While not as powerful as extra attack, paladin 2/ swords bard 3 gives you at level 5 +2 damage from fighting style, +1d8 damage from the cantrip, and both blade flourish and smites to nova. You could even consider adding 1 level of Hexblade warlock to make it more SAD (and to grab the cantrips without being locked in specific races) - but it's cheesy as hell and doesn't really fit the concept imo.

Arkhios
2022-09-24, 03:57 AM
Yes. One of the best synergies I'd say.

Nidgit
2022-09-24, 04:29 AM
Yes. Not as much as Sorcerer or Warlock, which each have specific ways of greatly enhancing the Paladin, but still quite good. Cha-based spellcasting, bonus action variety, and skills are all things the Paladin appreciates.

Swords Bard is very much the top pick for this multiclass as it can spend Bardic Inspiration to increase damage and AC or gain some other combat advantage. Whispers is also a decent pick for nova damage; beyond those two, none of the other subclasses have particular combat synergies but no subclass is a bad pick either. The typical split is Paladin 6-7/Bard 13-14, depending on how much you value the Aura vs. the Bardic subclass capstone.

Selion
2022-09-24, 06:16 AM

Pallies have a decent synergy with every full caster, including wizards and clerics, because they increase your high level spell slots, so while your leveled spells are usually delayed with multiclassing, smite is improved. Obviously cha based spellcasters are better because of sadness, so, while not as powerful as a sorcadin or a hexadin, a pally/bard (bardadin? :D) is far from the worst option.
Suggested routes IMHO are
pally 2 /spellcaster x (even better if the spellcasting class has extra attack),
pally 6/ spellcaster x
spellcaster subclass/pally x

I won't say that these builds are better than a full pally, but i think that they're viable, and pally has such a good baseline that you cannot go wrong.
Also, I love thematically the bard paladin mix, I cannot think of a character better fit as the face of the party as this one.

(Just for fun, i'm thinking about war wizard 2/pally x, damn, it looks powerful!)

Gignere
2022-09-24, 06:47 AM
Yes. Not as much as Sorcerer or Warlock, which each have specific ways of greatly enhancing the Paladin, but still quite good. Cha-based spellcasting, bonus action variety, and skills are all things the Paladin appreciates.

Swords Bard is very much the top pick for this multiclass as it can spend Bardic Inspiration to increase damage and AC or gain some other combat advantage. Whispers is also a decent pick for nova damage; beyond those two, none of the other subclasses have particular combat synergies but no subclass is a bad pick either. The typical split is Paladin 6-7/Bard 13-14, depending on how much you value the Aura vs. the Bardic subclass capstone.

I would add that Lore bard is also quite a competitive pick since you can pick up spirit guardians and really do the whole AoE / heavy armor tank thing with it. So it can really patch up the AoE weaknesses of the Paladin.

Also want to point out that the Paladin / Bard multiclass is the only multiclass that would allow you to eventually pick up Find Greater Steed so I would say at high levels it’s probably as good as the sorcerer / warlock Paladin multiclass.

Chronos
2022-09-24, 07:14 AM
Quoth Waazraath:

You could even consider adding 1 level of Hexblade warlock to make it more SAD (and to grab the cantrips without being locked in specific races) - but it's cheesy as hell and doesn't really fit the concept imo.
Hexblade doesn't really fit any concept, because the concept of Hexblade itself is incoherent. Optimization-wise, though, it'll improve a great many multiclasses. I sort of feel like the reason for the existence of the subclass is that some dev had a 3rd edition hexblade character that he really liked and wanted to import, and so the design criteria consisted of "1: Must be called 'hexblade'. 2: Must be really powerful. 3: We've already got a thing called 'hex' in the game, so I guess it should be a kind of warlock?".

Really, any combination of the Cha-based classes in 5e is strong and fairly easy to optimize (though you might not want to mix bard and sorcerer).

Selion
2022-09-24, 07:36 AM
Hexblade doesn't really fit any concept, because the concept of Hexblade itself is incoherent. Optimization-wise, though, it'll improve a great many multiclasses. I sort of feel like the reason for the existence of the subclass is that some dev had a 3rd edition hexblade character that he really liked and wanted to import, and so the design criteria consisted of "1: Must be called 'hexblade'. 2: Must be really powerful. 3: We've already got a thing called 'hex' in the game, so I guess it should be a kind of warlock?".

Really, any combination of the Cha-based classes in 5e is strong and fairly easy to optimize (though you might not want to mix bard and sorcerer).

Slightly derailing from the topic
I'm quite upset that they were so close in designing a balanced and flavorful subclass, but lost it in details.
As a single class i think hexblade is mostly balanced, the problem is just the hex warrior feature, which should have been included in an errata as a pact of the blade core-feature/invocation, and which makes it such a powerful dip. It's otherwise fine.
The hexblades lore seems an excuse to have a less strict relationship with the raven queen. Both a pact with a sentient weapon and a pact with the raven queen are good lorewise, it's the mix of them that does look inconsistent.

RogueJK
2022-09-24, 07:58 AM
Palabard is a very solid combo, being just a step behind a Sorcadin (one of the best multiclass combos in the game). You get the same benefit of CHA-based full caster spell slots for Divine Smites.

Just like on a Sorcadin, either Paladin 2/Bard X or Paladin 6/Bard X is typically going to the best choice for level splits.

While I agree that Swords Bard generally is the best option if you're only going to be taking 2 levels of Paladin, a Paladin 2/non-Swords Bard X build can get kicked up a notch if you go with a race that can obtain the Booming Blade cantrip. Even on Bard subclasses that don't get Extra Attack, this route allows you to scale your melee damage via Booming Blade's damage scaling. There are several means to obtain this, including High Elf, High Half Elf, or MotM Kobold. (Or even something like a VHuman/CLineage with the Magic Initiate Sorcerer/Warlock feat.)

I would add that Lore bard is also quite a competitive pick since you can pick up spirit guardians and really do the whole AoE / heavy armor tank thing with it. So it can really patch up the AoE weaknesses of the Paladin.

Yep. For example, a Paladin 2/Lore Bard X utilizing Booming Blade + Divine Smite alongside Spiritual Weapon + Spirit Guardians (from Magical Secrets at Lore Bard 6) is able to pump out a good amount of damage, even without Extra Attack.

animorte
2022-09-24, 08:36 AM
I agree with the first part of this very much. Charisma probably has all the best multi-classing combos. I’ll take a Bard with some meta-magic though.

Here’s a hot take. Paladin combines well with literally anything. The aura is good enough that you can have garbage optimization and minimal understanding of the game and still be useful.

RogueJK
2022-09-24, 09:14 AM
Here’s a hot take. Paladin combines well with literally anything.

Well, aside from the MADness, even just among the minimum multiclass requirements...

For example, in theory, a Paladin/Ranger could work well, as far as combinations of class abilities.

But in practice, you'd need a moderate STR/DEX/WIS/CHA just for multiclassing requirements, and you'd also want a moderate CON too, so it's not really going to be effective.

Just for fun, here's the best that I could come up with using point buy:
Standard Human
STR 14+1
DEX 12+1
CON 13+1
INT 9+1
WIS 13+1
CHA 13+1

Standard Array is even worse:
Half Elf
STR 15+1
DEX 13
CON 10+2
INT 8
WIS 12+1
CHA 14

Either one is doable, but you're so MAD that your ability scores are necessarily going to be watered down to the point where you're not that effective at anything.

Gignere
2022-09-24, 10:21 AM
Yep. For example, a Paladin 2/Lore Bard X utilizing Booming Blade + Divine Smite alongside Spiritual Weapon + Spirit Guardians (from Magical Secrets at Lore Bard 6) is able to pump out a good amount of damage, even without Extra Attack.

Yep and the same build at level 12, 2 pal / 10 lore bard will get greater steed one level before a pure Paladin.

Yakk
2022-09-24, 10:41 AM
Paladin 6/Whispers Bard 14 is very good at level 20. As is Paladin 6/Hex 2/Whispers 10/Anything 2. You have insane burst damage from being able to double-smite; with Hex 2 and (say) elven accuracy, if you can get advantage you can get your crit-rate up high enough to be dropping buckets of dice.

It works reasponably well at mid levels. At low levels, you'll probably want pure Paladin to get Smite, then Extra Attack, and then the Aura at 6.

MrStabby
2022-09-24, 11:28 AM
So if you are going Paladin, you are probably looking at something focussed on fighting, to some extent. The extra magic being from bard for more spell slots and access to more spells known.

So from bard, we are looking for things to increase combat potential. Which ones you want will be related to the balance of the classes. Swords and Valor get extra ttack and so you probably want to stick to Paladin 2 if you are taking these. Others you probably want Paladin 6 and bard for the other bits.

If going Paladin 2, then swords bard is probably the better option to pick up extra attack.

If going paladin 6 there are a lot of options. Lore bard has a great bardic inspiration use to help tank and generally screw with enemies. With 6 levels you also get to flesh out your spell list to get more spells that support fighting (things like armour of agathys or spirit guardians etc.). If things like Ravnica backgrounds and Eberron races are in play then you might be beter placed picking up spells you want from these sources than spending a class feature on them.

Whispers can boost your damage - though with your smite potential this might be overkill and a bit of something else might be good. One exception might be if you roll well and decide to go for somehing like a Vengeance Paladin Archer (needing to roll well for the 13 in strength to be good) and being able to smite at range works for you.

Eloquence bard is arguably the strongest bard subclass and raw strength still works well for multiclass. Forcing disadvantage on saves is very powerful as a bonus acion - and can be awesome with some of the smite spells if you don't mind a turn to set-up.

Glamour bard will turn you into a supremely supportive character, boosting saves and dishing out temp HP and movement.

On the paladin side there are a few of note. Conquest is always good, and vengeance I already mentioned as working quite nicely for archers. Redemption I wouldn't usually push, but if your DM likes to make diplomacy powerful your can get some through the roof persuasion checks with expertise and the bonus here and maxed Charisma.

Oth of glory doesn't appeal to me but with glamour bard's reaction move for allies you can actually advance and have tour allies keep up with you somewhat. If you are also going for some shield masery usage they can get some bonusses there.

So yeah, its a pretty good combination with some cool overlaps.

1) Bonus on saves + spellcaster = great at concentration
2) Ability to be a caster OR a fighter in any given fight is very versitile (added bonus point that paladin smites tend to be great against things that bard spells are bad against
3) (some) Bards do have abilities that stack with Paladin abilities to improve fighting ability
4) Some paladins have abilities to boost certain skills to make you almos unbeatable in those areas

Quietus
2022-09-24, 11:33 AM
It has some measure of synergy. 2 levels of Paladin will give you a Fighting Style, armor/shield proficiency, and smites. A Swords Bard could certainly make use of that.

Alternatively, you could take enough levels in Paladin to grab your aura and then jump off into Bard to scale your casting and smite slots, much as with Sorcadins.

In both cases you're looking at around level 8 for it to really start being a Bardadin instead of just one or the other.

I'll confirm basically every single word of this. I played a dex-based Palabard in Adventurer's League, thinking I was bridging the gap between "need to optimize for AL" and "Applying some limitations to myself". Half-elf, think I ended up with 16 dex, 14 con, and 16 cha, rest of my points spread around a bit. Went 1 Bard->2 Paladin->X Bard (swords), and got up to level 11, though never played at that level. My playstyle often leaned into casting an encounter-defining spell (Bless, Faerie Fire, Hold Person, Blindness/Deafness, and eventually Hypnotic Pattern - and now with Tasha's, I'd absolutely take Slow) on round 1, and then wading into combat round 2+.

Few key notes at various levels of my experience :

1-4 : Started out smooth, between Faerie Fire and Bless, with martial skill. Played very much like a standard Paladin, with solid defenses, waiting on second level spells
5 : Big level, as blade flourishes, Dueling fighting style, and second level spells came online. Hold Person did some heavy lifting in this game. Also, Expertise.
6-7 : ASI (grabbed +2 Cha), and then third level spells and short rest recovery of flourishes.
8 : Extra Attack

Pros :
- Two fighting styles, I picked Defensive (Paladin) and Dueling (Bard)
- Strong defense, between half plate, shield, Defense style, good dex, and mobile/defensive flourish.
- 13 Strength and expertise Athletics made him a competent grappler when needed
- Very much FELT like a mix of magic and martial prowess
- Lots of skills, between Bard, background, and Half-Elf

Cons :
- Played very much like a mix of martial and spellcaster; if forced to do exclusively one or the other, there was definitely a feeling of being slightly behind the curve until level 8. This started to disappear past level 8, however.
- Stats had to be laid out VERY specifically, I had little room for customization

Overall, I can absolutely recommend giving this mix a try. I had a blast with him, and there's room to do a strength-based version as well, which might make the stat problem less of a concern. You'd just want to start with Paladin instead of Bard, in that case, to get heavy armor proficiency. If I had gotten to go beyond this point, I was planning on picking up some Paladin spells with my magical secrets, like Find Greater Steed. Also on my shortlist : Swift Quiver, Holy Weapon, and Spirit Guardians. And had I reached level 16, for 14 Bard, I was going to get Tenser's Transformation. Ride a saber-toothed tiger or a pegasus via Find Greater Steed, cast Tenser's (which shares with the mount), and often joked about how the verbal component would be "By the power/honor of Greyskull!"

Person_Man
2022-09-24, 01:40 PM
Yes, its probably one of the best multiclass combos in the game, with the important caveat that the timing of when you get Extra Attack and Feats can be very important. Paladin 6 is going to be a lot more effective than Paladin 2/Bard 4, for example. But Paladin 2/Swords Bard 6 is arguably much stronger than Paladin 8 or Bard 8.

5eNeedsDarksun
2022-09-24, 01:52 PM
I'm a little surprised you haven't found a lot of info to support this. It's really good. I've been playing a Paladin 2/ Swords Bard X through Rime of the Frostmaiden and it's great. My DM was commenting on my character the other day and how effectively the 2 levels of Paly covered the Bard's weaknesses. In his view they were:
1) Bad AC. Boom. You get Heavy + Shield. I'd note here that there is no Multi-Class requirement for Bards to have Dex, so you can go Str based and not be any more MAD than a regular Paly.
2) Poor combat cantrip/ melee attack. You're now a solid melee character with Smite (of course you do get Extra Attack with Swords Bard).
3) Starting with Dex saves. You want Con if you're a caster. And everyone wants Wis so that really bad things don't happen. If you start with Dex there's no way to get proficiency in the other 2.

You end up being 1 caster level behind full casters when determining slots available, but with some of the core benefits of a martial. Basically you're a solid gish. Most combats look like casting a concentration spell then swinging (with smites as necessary). Since you're a Bard you've got lots of support options and ability to contribute to most things that come up in the game.

The only issue is what to call it, since there seems to be lots of opinions. I use Palard, though I've heard Bardadin, Palabard, and a few others.

Edit: I would agree with others that there are levels where you'd be better with something else. P2/B4 I had lots of abilities to contribute to the party, but nobody is going to argue that anything in that combo is better than either level 3 spells (full caster) or extra attack + aura (Paly 6). So if you're just going through a level 6 mod pick something else.

Yakk
2022-09-24, 02:20 PM
The only issue is what to call it, since there seems to be lots of opinions. I use Palard, though I've heard Bardadin, Palabard, and a few others.
Pard is the only choice.

MrStabby
2022-09-24, 02:27 PM
Pard is the only choice.

So many options. The one I was most familiar with was Baladin.

Quietus
2022-09-24, 03:22 PM
Mine referred to himself as a Paladin, and when pressured to say which oath he was, would insist that he had taken an "Oath of Joy". Nowadays I'd probably claim Glory instead. But he lived by a mantra of "The Gods are always watching, make sure they like what they see", and basically went into everything with an attitude of ensuring whatever happened was awesome.

Leon
2022-09-24, 09:15 PM
Any class that shares a Primary or secondary stat with another will generally go well together. Given that there no more Prestige classes you kind of need to MC to get some character ideas to mesh well with actual class features.

Person_Man
2022-09-25, 05:07 PM
Here’s a hot take. Paladin combines well with literally anything. The aura is good enough that you can have garbage optimization and minimal understanding of the game and still be useful.

I started to write a post about how this was wrong. But then as I started to write out examples, I realized I was wrong and Paladin really does mix with anything if you pick the right break points and have the right ability scores. (MAD can be an issue with any Paladin build). Even weird combos like Paladin/Druid or Paladin/Artificer have their merits.

animorte
2022-09-25, 05:17 PM
I started to write a post about how this was wrong. But then as I started to write out examples, I realized I was wrong and Paladin really does mix with anything if you pick the right break points and have the right ability scores. (MAD can be an issue with any Paladin build). Even weird combos like Paladin/Druid or Paladin/Artificer have their merits.

Yes. I did exactly that several months ago in a different thread entirely when the subject came up. Arrived the same conclusion as yourself in a similar fashion. :smallbiggrin:

Selion
2022-09-26, 07:04 AM

I was just questioning how could even be possible a paladin druid, but suddenly realized that 2 levels of paladin would give smite to a moon druid wild shape, with druid spell slots... so, not the optimal character, but it still will be one of the most powerful in the party :smallbiggrin:
Paladin just goes well with everything (but monks :smallbiggrin:)

Yakk
2022-09-26, 09:47 AM
I am tempted to make the Paladin/Bladesinger/Barbarian.

The goal is to never cast spells despite being a level 15 wizard.

sithlordnergal
2022-09-26, 02:35 PM
I was just questioning how could even be possible a paladin druid, but suddenly realized that 2 levels of paladin would give smite to a moon druid wild shape, with druid spell slots... so, not the optimal character, but it still will be one of the most powerful in the party :smallbiggrin:

Oh you don't even need Moon Druid. I have an Ancients Paladin 8 / Dream Druid 12 in AL, and its an amazing support build. I have a ton of at-will non-spell healing, access to 6th level Druid spells, extra mobility options for myself and allies, my Paladin Auras, Wild Shape forms, and Shillelagh works to keep you semi-SAD. Toss a 15 in Strength, just in case you ever find plate armor you can use, and never look back.

In fact Paladin/Druids are perfect for Shillelagh/PAM builds using a Quarterstaff. As much as some DMs may dislike it, it gives a nice, reliable Bonus Action attack to smite with while letting you wield a Shield. The only real downside is that you're restricted on what kind of armor you can use, but if you're doing AL there are at least two sets of non-metal Plate Armor you can find. And you might be able to convince a DM to let you find the Scorpion Plate in a homebrew game since it is a cursed magic item.

Though I won't lie, the primary ability score setup is a nightmare.

Person_Man
2022-09-26, 06:24 PM

Its statistically rare for a player to roll 3 very high ability scores (Dec/Wis/Cha, and ok Con). But if you do, I could see Conquest Paladin 7/Soul Knife Monk 13 working. Not the most optimal build, but fun.

animorte
2022-09-26, 07:41 PM
You can still smite with a quarterstaff and expend a Ki for Stunning Strike all in one go. I'm sure there are other tricks.

Chronos
2022-09-27, 03:35 PM
It'd be high level, but a monk/paladin could get Improved Divine Smite on all the attacks in a Flurry of Blows, plus if you want to go nova, potentially regular Divine Strikes on all of them.

PhantomSoul
2022-09-27, 04:24 PM
It'd be high level, but a monk/paladin could get Improved Divine Smite on all the attacks in a Flurry of Blows, plus if you want to go nova, potentially regular Divine Strikes on all of them.

Almost (by strict RAW);

I MPROVE D D IV I N E S M ITE
B y 1 1th level, you are s o suffused with righteous
might that all your melee weapon strikes carry divine
power with them. Whenever you hit a creature with
a melee weapon, the creature takes an extra 1 d8
radiant damage.

FLURRY OF B LOWS
Immediately after you take the Attack action on your
turn, you can spend 1 ki point to make two unarmed
strikes as a bonus action.

The Palamonk/Monkadin could Divine Smite with both regular Attack Action Attacks as long as they use a Weapon (so probably using a Monk Weapon), but the Flurry of Blows Attacks are specifically Unarmed Strikes, making them ineligible for Improved Divine Smite. It's one of the spots where it's strictly (an Attack) with a Melee Weapon and not just any Melee Weapon Attack.

Yakk
2022-09-27, 08:39 PM
Note that the requirement that a Paladin Smite with weapons was in there because (a) it fits the Paladin default, and (b) it keeps Monks as the best punchers.

Without it, a Paladin could punch for 6d8+6 (33) -- 12d8+12 total (66) -- damage at level 11 as an action.

A monk, unarmed, meanwhile is putting out 4d8+20 total (38) at the same level, maybe 5d8+25 (47.5). Less daka.

So Paladins have to first pick up a rock and do 6d8+1d4+5 x2 instead.