PDA

View Full Version : Psychic Warrior Feature--Worth it?

Chronicled
2007-11-29, 11:38 PM
I'm decided to play a psychic warrior, race undecided (Synad or Human, most likely), in an upcoming campaign (I think Red Hand of Doom was the one mentioned), at level 5, 32 pt buy. I found an alternate class feature here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070214a), and I was wondering if it was worthwhile.

Soulbound Weapon

You can summon a specific weapon to your hand that is bound to your very soul.
Level: 1st and 2nd.
Replaces: You lose your 2nd-level bonus feat.
Benefit: You must choose a soulbound weapon at 1st level and you gain the Weapon Focus feat with this weapon. Also, the first power you learn must be call weaponry. You can summon your chosen soulbound weapon to your hand using call weaponry.

At 2nd level, you gain the soulbound weaponclass ability, and the weapon you summon using call weaponry is of the same type as you chose at 1st level. Its physical appearance slowly changes, growing in power as you do. You must manifest the power call weaponry to obtain your soulbound weapon; you retain the weapon for the duration of the power. You may still use the call weaponry power as normal if you wish. This is a specific weapon every time you summon it, and it automatically gains a weapon enhancement at the following levels:
4th +1 weapon
8th +2 weapon
12th +3 weapon
16th +4 weapon
20th +5 weapon

Also, add the following augmentation to your call weaponry power:

Augmentation: When you manifest your soulbound weapon, for each additional 5 power points you spend, you may add a weapon enhancement of +1 value to the weapon. For example, if you spend an additional 10 power points, you could add two +1 weapon enhancements or a single +2 weapon enhancement.

I'd also appreciate other suggestions for a flexible psychic warrior build (no one-trick ponies, please). Besides getting the obvious Power Attack, I'm looking at taking Psycrystal Affinity and Earth Sense/Power. Anything else I should do?

brian c
2007-11-29, 11:42 PM
I'm not really into psionics, so I've never played a Psychic Warrior, but that ability does sound really cool. You're only giving up a couple feats for it, so it seems fair to me, but someone with more psionics knowledge could give a better opinion.

Oh, and the one thing I would recommend is picking up Expansion. If you're a melee-er, being big is a good thing, especially if you go for tripping/AoO

zaei
2007-11-29, 11:51 PM
The concept sounds cool, but the mechanics don't look so good. Still, probably better than a Soulknife.

Cuddly
2007-11-29, 11:57 PM
Psywars are so cool because they AREN'T one trick ponies. Personally, I'd keep the feat, and not bother getting a class feature that duplicates another class feature- the WBL, unless you know how limited you will be treasure-wise, and you think it worthwhile.

I'm not sure a psicrystal is really worth it; up the walls, speed of thought, and psionic charge are all equally cool, and infinitely more useful than a bump to a skill. And when you get psionic lion's pounce, you can be tearing down hallways, leaping off walls, and making full attacks with your charges.

You may want to check out the grow claws power- they're pretty cool. You could use your claws on a pouncing charge, than quick draw your big two hander once in combat, etc. You know, if you want to do a myriad of different things mediocre, rather than one thing well (hate to say it, but most competent meleers tend to be one trick ponies). Course, picking up some powers that let you teleport, or drain your enemies of HP and gain it as your own, mitigates that to a fairly great degree.

Also, check out the Illithid slayer prestige class. Very good- gives a bunch of sweet abilities as well as near full manifester advancement, and full BAB.

zaei
2007-11-30, 12:08 AM
Also, check out the Illithid slayer prestige class. Very good- gives a bunch of sweet abilities as well as near full manifester advancement, and full BAB.
This is something to ask the DM, but the Soulbound Weapon ability probably scales with PsyWar class level, so PrCing out will stop it's advancement.

Cuddly
2007-11-30, 12:13 AM
This is something to ask the DM, but the Soulbound Weapon ability probably scales with PsyWar class level, so PrCing out will stop it's advancement.

Right, which is another reason not to take the alternate feature, IMO.

Chronicled
2007-11-30, 12:20 AM
In order:

I'll definitely be taking Expansion :smallsmile:.

Okay, 1 vote against it. Any specifics as to why?

I'm definitely getting the psicrystal; not for the minor skill/save boost, but because they're incredibly useful as scouts and spies, as I've seen in another game I was in. Much better than a familiar. We're getting 2 flaws and an extra feat at level 5 anyways, so it's hardly a problem. (Deep Impact looks tempting too.)

The claws are also a very tempting option, and I may go with that (especially since they last for hours with a swift action extension/withdrawal, while the weapon only lasts for minutes/level). The reason the weapon feature is so tempting is that I can add a +1 enhancement of my choosing when I summon it (Earth Power ftw). Giving it the Bane property of whatever we happen to be facing seems like a great idea.

Illithid Slayer is a possibility I'm looking at. It's good, but the DM seems hesitant.

I don't think PrCing out would affect the progress of the weapon, so long as the class continued providing manifester levels.

Cuddly
2007-11-30, 12:27 AM
If your DM is playing by the rules, as per RAW, every level you should have a set amount of wealth tucked away in magic items. Class abilities that imitate this ability tend to be sub par, since you're already going to have access to those weapons at that level.

While having bane of whatever it is you're fighting at low levels is very, very nice (and alright at higher ones, too), I'm... hmmm, it's almost worth a feat.

Claws are great, because eventually when you expand to huge size, they do damage as colossal++ weapons or sommat.

zaei
2007-11-30, 12:49 AM
In order:

I'll definitely be taking Expansion :smallsmile:.

Okay, 1 vote against it. Any specifics as to why?

I'm definitely getting the psicrystal; not for the minor skill/save boost, but because they're incredibly useful as scouts and spies, as I've seen in another game I was in. Much better than a familiar. We're getting 2 flaws and an extra feat at level 5 anyways, so it's hardly a problem. (Deep Impact looks tempting too.)

The claws are also a very tempting option, and I may go with that (especially since they last for hours with a swift action extension/withdrawal, while the weapon only lasts for minutes/level). The reason the weapon feature is so tempting is that I can add a +1 enhancement of my choosing when I summon it (Earth Power ftw). Giving it the Bane property of whatever we happen to be facing seems like a great idea.

Illithid Slayer is a possibility I'm looking at. It's good, but the DM seems hesitant.

I don't think PrCing out would affect the progress of the weapon, so long as the class continued providing manifester levels.

As has been pointed out, you're supposed to have Xgp spent on a weapon. With this class feature, you're giving up one feat (in return for WF, which is so-so), and have to spend PP to get a weapon for a few minutes, instead of it always being around. I'm also pretty sure that it is dispellable.

PP cost is something to think about. A +10 weapon is the best you can get pre-epic. To get that with this ability requires 26 PP PER MANIFESTATION, and I think you can only spend 20 without overchannelling, so the best you can get is an effective +8 weapon. To compare, you can pull out a +5 weapon with up to +3 in abilities 5 times a day, while your fighter buddy has his +1 bonus, +9 abilities, +4 Greater Magic Weapon-ed sword all the time.

Class features tend to scale by class level (Sneak attack, smite evil, etc). It's not specified in the article, so it'd be up to the DM (unless there's a rule somewhere I don't know about).

The class feature also says nothing about weapon material, so you'll have issues with material based DR, not to mention damage type DR.

Aquillion
2007-11-30, 12:51 AM
For Psiwar powers, be sure to take Hustle and Psionic Lion's Charge. They give you more actions (even if just move actions) and more full attacks (with optional boosted damage) respectively; both of those are extremely valuable things.

Cuddly
2007-11-30, 12:55 AM
As has been pointed out, you're supposed to have Xgp spent on a weapon. With this class feature, you're giving up one feat (in return for WF, which is so-so), and have to spend PP to get a weapon for a few minutes, instead of it always being around. I'm also pretty sure that it is dispellable.

PP cost is something to think about. A +10 weapon is the best you can get pre-epic. To get that with this ability requires 26 PP PER MANIFESTATION, and I think you can only spend 20 without overchannelling, so the best you can get is an effective +8 weapon. To compare, you can pull out a +5 weapon with up to +3 in abilities 5 times a day, while your fighter buddy has his +1 bonus, +9 abilities, +4 Greater Magic Weapon-ed sword all the time.

Class features tend to scale by class level (Sneak attack, smite evil, etc). It's not specified in the article, so it'd be up to the DM (unless there's a rule somewhere I don't know about).

The class feature also says nothing about weapon material, so you'll have issues with material based DR, not to mention damage type DR.

These are very good points. I thought the weapon lasted hours/was like a soulknife's weapon.

Also, a level 4 pearl of power + greater magic weapon goes a long way in providing cheap, flat bonuses that scale with level.

Chronicled
2007-11-30, 01:02 AM
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I think I will be opting out of taking this after all; besides everything pointed out, the 1 round needed to call the weapon was already a concern, as was the use of a 1st level power for call weapon. I hadn't thought about weapon material, and I'd really like to use one of the Deep Crystal weapons for the 2pp/+2d6 damage exchange (impossible with the class feature).

Hustle and Lion's Charge are also going to be taken for sure.

Also, Psychic Warriors get Metaphysical Weapon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/metaphysicalWeapon.htm), which I'll probably take (or the claw version if I go that route).

Cuddly
2007-11-30, 01:18 AM
You could get metaphysical claw and claws of the beast.
Later level feats could be spent picking up expanded power for those must have powers, since it sounds like you'll be having feats to burn.

Leon
2007-11-30, 01:38 AM
If your DM is playing by the rules
He is free to alter those rules as he see's fit to suit him

Cuddly
2007-11-30, 01:51 AM
He is free to alter those rules as he see's fit to suit him

...your point?

Chronicled
2007-11-30, 09:17 AM
I ended up not exactly liking the idea of someone in full plate (I don't have enough powers known to use AC boosting powers instead) fighting with natural claws; it just seemed odd. So I ended up making a dwarf reach build. Expansion+Glaive, with Spiked Gauntlets in case anyone gets into melee range, and Stand Still for some battlefield control (sadly, my Int is too low for Combat Exp+Imp Trip).

My current build is here (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=33325). Any suggestions for improvement? I'm guessing a larger focus on battlefield control would be wise, but I'm not sure how best to get it.

Allowed books are:
Content from the following books is open material for use during character creation and during the game:

• Core - Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide
• Eberron – Eberron Campaign Setting, Player’s Guide to Eberron, Five Nations, Sharn: City of Towers, Magic of Eberron, Secrets of Xen’drik, Dragonmarked, Forge of War
• Quasi-Core - Player's Handbook 2, Expanded Psionics Handbook, Tome of Battle: Book of
Nine Swords, Tome of Magic, Magic of Incarnum
• Complete Series - Complete Warrior, Complete Divine, Complete Arcane, Complete
Adventurer, Complete Scoundrel, Complete Mage, Complete Champion, Complete Psionic
• Races Series - Races of Eberron

(Note: Content from the following books is open material on a case-by-case basis only. Talk to me if you’d like to make use of anything from these books.)
• Monster Compilations – Monster Manual, Monster Manual III
• Geographical Series – Frostburn, Sandstorm, Stormwrack, Cityscape, Dungeonscape
• Other Expansions - Magic Item Compendium, Weapons of Legacy, Unearthed Arcana, Book of Exalted Deeds, Heroes of Battle, Draconomicon, Dragon Magic, Arms and Equipment Guide, Deities and Demigods

I can access almost everything except ToB at the moment (and that should be usable in a couple days).

Azerian Kelimon
2007-11-30, 09:29 AM
Powers to consider:

-Prevenom/Prevenom Weapon (CON damage? Sign me up! Use your psicrystal to manifest it, and enjoy doing stat damage).
-Expansion (Best. Level 1. Power. EVAH!).
-Vigor (TONS of temp. HP, which you can convert into permanent HP and do decent heals by using empathic transfer, friendly).
-A save or Die from Psion (Spend a feat to get one. With the WIS you'll have, throwing Save or Die's is a swell idea).
-The Stygian line of powers (Can be quite useful.)

Telok
2007-11-30, 10:22 AM
Note that Call Weaponry is not a bad power to choose. It allows you to call any weapon into your hand.

While the power can be dispelled it is a wonderful thing if you start the game under level 10. The weapon is magic for penetrating DR and there are no limits as to what size of weapon you can call.

zaei
2007-11-30, 09:21 PM
Why is your dwarf character nearly 6 feet tall?

Chronicled
2007-11-30, 09:23 PM
The problem with the psion save or die idea is that I have very limited power points; a good chunk of these are spent just to to enhance my weapon, more are used for other buffs, and to make use of the deep crystal weapon, I'm spending even more. Even with Earth Power reducing the cost, I have to be careful not to run out.

I'll look into the Stygian line, and see if I can't squeeze Prevenom in... that IS a really good power.

The game probably won't go beyond levels 10-12. Should I be reconsidering the Call Weapon feature?

Finally, with the specific build I posted, what can I do to enhance the combat effectiveness and general flexibility? Since character death is permanent, survivability is also appreciated (although between vigor and his high con, that should be covered).

Also, the skills and extra 5th level feat are houserules.

Why is your dwarf character nearly 6 feet tall?

I'd started to make him as a human or synad... thanks for catching that!

Aquillion
2007-12-01, 03:28 AM
Why is your dwarf character nearly 6 feet tall?Culturally dwarven.

Cuddly
2007-12-01, 11:10 AM
I was going to suggest going monk's belt further down the road, but that doesn't match your full plate dwarf. So nvm.

Chronicled
2007-12-02, 02:56 AM
So... any suggestions for improving it?

Karsh
2007-12-02, 12:18 PM
Well, if you're wanting to make him a real battlefield control build, you need to A. Increase his DEX for more AOOs, B. Use a guisarme instead of a glaive, though actually a Spiked Chain would be preferable, and C. Take Combat Expertise and Improved Trip. Your modifiers get huge with Expansion, so you can knock everyone within 15-20 feet down and keep doing so whenever they try to get up.

So your feats should look like this:

1: Power Attack
1: Combat Expertise
1: Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Spiked Chain
2: Psicrystal Affinity
3: Improved Trip
5: Combat Reflexes
5: Earth Sense

Then at 6th you can take Earth Power... otherwise replace Combat Reflexes with Earth Sense and move Earth Power to 5th and take that next level.

Then look into taking Knockdown and Hold the Line. If you're going for trippy goodness, Standstill isn't an effective feat since you should be using your AOOs to knock them down anyways.

herrhauptmann
2007-12-02, 01:04 PM
Karsh, his INT isn't high enough for expertise.
I'm not sure why his WIS is so high, maybe it's necessary for his psi points.

Shovah
2007-12-02, 01:13 PM
Nope. Psychic Warriors simply gain a fixed amount of power points per level.

dyslexicfaser
2007-12-02, 01:58 PM
Nope. Psychic Warriors simply gain a fixed amount of power points per level.

They do get bonus power points per level for high wisdom, as well. Which is very welcome to the pp-starved psywar.