PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Non-ranger ranger

Sjappo
2022-09-26, 05:19 AM
So, I'm making a character for an upcoming game. The game will start at 1st and will continue to about 10th level. And I'd like to play a beast master ranger. But my mind won't let me pick the PHB ranger because of the mechanical mess that is. So, how to play a ranger type with a pet without taking the PHB beast master.

I'm looking for a functional pet and some ranged or melee capabilities. I don't mind spell casting suffering much.

I was thinking in the line of Wild Fire Druid for the pet and nature feel with some Rogue for expertise and cunning action. But I was looking for advise on other possible combo's and advice on level advancement. Start Rogue or Druid? Add in Fighter 1 for fighting style or Rogue 3 for sub class? Any and all ideas are welcome.

NB: I am aware of the existence of the UA ranger and the options in TCoE. But I fear my DM won't let me take that. He is open to some non core material, like a race, sub class or spell, but not to much.
NB2: I've played the UA ranger in an other campaign, in which my current DM was a player as well, and it was to much. To powerful.

Dungeon-noob
2022-09-26, 06:06 AM
If you want the ranged combat and the skill parts, Scout Rogue has excellent features for that. It can also function as a melee skirmisher. For a pet, i'd suggest taking Magic initiate for Find familiar. That gets you a usefull pet without breaking your entire build around what is ultimately an element that D&D 5e doesn't support that well.

If you insist on getting a more potent companion, multiclassing with Druid would indeed probably be the best bet. Either Shepherd or Wildfire could work for the subclass. I'd focus mostly on the Rogue, but i'm inclined to dismiss the pet somewhat, so you'll have to decide how important that element of the character is to you.

Mastikator
2022-09-26, 06:13 AM
TBH a beast master ranger with tasha's options isn't overpowered at all, it's just good. There are pure PHB options that are stronger in combat for T1 and T2 (like a totem warrior with GWM, or a battle master with GWM/SS). So it seems to me that your DM has trust issues or a wildly incorrect view of tasha's options for rangers.

The summon beast spell from Tasha's is similar in power to the beast master's primal companion (also tasha's). Ask your DM if you can use that spell just in case he may let a single spell through, it's not possible to cheese unlike conjure woodland beings which can let you summon an army of snakes or whatever (PHB)

MrStabby
2022-09-26, 06:16 AM
So, I'm making a character for an upcoming game. The game will start at 1st and will continue to about 10th level. And I'd like to play a beast master ranger. But my mind won't let me pick the PHB ranger because of the mechanical mess that is. So, how to play a ranger type with a pet without taking the PHB beast master.

I'm looking for a functional pet and some ranged or melee capabilities. I don't mind spell casting suffering much.

I was thinking in the line of Wild Fire Druid for the pet and nature feel with some Rogue for expertise and cunning action. But I was looking for advise on other possible combo's and advice on level advancement. Start Rogue or Druid? Add in Fighter 1 for fighting style or Rogue 3 for sub class? Any and all ideas are welcome.

NB: I am aware of the existence of the UA ranger and the options in TCoE. But I fear my DM won't let me take that. He is open to some non core material, like a race, sub class or spell, but not to much.
NB2: I've played the UA ranger in an other campaign, in which my current DM was a player as well, and it was to much. To powerful.

I guess it depends on what you want the pet to do.

Eldritch knight with find familiar would work at one level (and with magic initiate or ritual casting you could be any archetype and don't even need eldritch knight).

Pact of the chain warlock would push this further

Battlemaster artificer has a pet - if you waned a rangery feel you could re-skin this.

Conjure beast will give you a temporary pet.

The paladin spell summon steed might tick a lot of boxes for you

College of creation bard gets a sword that could be re-skinned

nickl_2000
2022-09-26, 06:18 AM
Battlemaster Artificer with the Steel Defender is a good pet build, but they aren't really very much ranger like.

Drakewarden Ranger is official and a ranger without being a beastmaster.

Leon
2022-09-26, 06:42 AM
Play a Beastermaster and ask if you Pet can attack on a bonus action like it should have from the start (its quasi TWF after all)

da newt
2022-09-26, 07:48 AM
If you'd rather not dip rogue you could play a Goblin for free cunning actions (hide and disengage), which would allow full druid spell progression.

If you'd like to avoid the 'tax' to get access to a pet via class feature you can always just purchase something like a mastiff or a mount.

Warlock pact of the chain is a good way to get a little companion and some of those options are quite handy, but it may not fit the pet themematic you are going for.

Maybe paladin w/ find steed and greater steed would be a good fit. It's hard to go wrong w/ paladin and you don't have to ride your steed if that doesn't fit your theme. I played w/ a pali who summoned mastiffs so he always had a dogo w/ him.

What do you want out of this 'pet'? What sort of capabilities do you want your faux ranger to have?

paladinn
2022-09-26, 08:00 AM
Would your DM allow you to take the beastmaster subclass features and put them on a fighter chassis?

I did that with the hunter subclass, and it is pretty cool.

But I agree: the ranger, even with all the tweaks and re-tweaks, is a hot mess.

Amnestic
2022-09-26, 08:01 AM
Dex paladin with Find (Greater) Steed would be my go-to. Maybe Oath of the Ancients for that nature feel, but others would fit too.

Sjappo
2022-09-26, 08:01 AM
If you'd rather not dip rogue you could play a Goblin for free cunning actions (hide and disengage), which would allow full druid spell progression.

If you'd like to avoid the 'tax' to get access to a pet via class feature you can always just purchase something like a mastiff or a mount.

Warlock pact of the chain is a good way to get a little companion and some of those options are quite handy, but it may not fit the pet themematic you are going for.

Maybe paladin w/ find steed and greater steed would be a good fit. It's hard to go wrong w/ paladin and you don't have to ride your steed if that doesn't fit your theme. I played w/ a pali who summoned mastiffs so he always had a dogo w/ him.

What do you want out of this 'pet'? What sort of capabilities do you want your faux ranger to have?
Goblin is a nice idea. A Small ranger would even be able to ride his pet.

What I want out of the pet? I want the pet to be able to hold his own in combat. Mechanically it would be just a bag of HP which attacks on command. What I like about it is tactical dimension it adds in combat. Of all the players in my group I am the most experienced player. I like to have multiple options and solutions in a given situation. Spells and abilities will give that. As does a pet.

J-H
2022-09-26, 08:03 AM
Have you considered a Battlesmith Artificer? The Steel Defender is pretty nice.

Sjappo
2022-09-26, 08:07 AM
TBH a beast master ranger with tasha's options isn't overpowered at all, it's just good. There are pure PHB options that are stronger in combat for T1 and T2 (like a totem warrior with GWM, or a battle master with GWM/SS). So it seems to me that your DM has trust issues or a wildly incorrect view of tasha's options for rangers.

The summon beast spell from Tasha's is similar in power to the beast master's primal companion (also tasha's). Ask your DM if you can use that spell just in case he may let a single spell through, it's not possible to cheese unlike conjure woodland beings which can let you summon an army of snakes or whatever (PHB)
I was talking about the UA Ranger with Conclave of the Beast. I played as a ranged ranger with a bear as meat shield. It was fun but it eclipsed the other PCs in combat.

Summon Beast is a very nice spell indeed. That might do the trick. Thanx for the tip.

animorte
2022-09-26, 08:47 AM
Was going to recommend the Stars Druid. Bonus action ranged damage in archer form is really cool. Still reliable with a lot of the same skills, but certainly a different feel. The different Rogues have already been mentioned that closer incorporate what you seem to be trying to accomplish.

Psyren
2022-09-26, 09:16 AM

I can't speak for the UA version, but the published Tasha's Beastmaster is not too powerful at all. Not only is it official content and thus well-vetted by the community, it forces you to be MAD because the new pet uses your spell attack to hit. In most cases, this means you need to divide your stats between your own offense (Str/Dex), your pet's (Wis) and your defense (Con). You can pick up Shillelagh via a fighting style to attack with Wis instead, but this restricts your weapon use and forces you into melee, on top of potentially conflicting with commanding your pet on the first round. (This is mitigated by the ability to give up one of your attacks to command your beast instead however.)

Quietus
2022-09-26, 09:19 AM
You mentioned you're afraid your DM might shut down the Tasha's options. It can't hurt to ask - as someone playing a Tasha's beastmaster right now, they aren't going to be winning any optimization races, but they're just damn solid. Remember that the Tasha's primal beasts actually make you MAD, since they operate off of your Spellcasting attack mod, if your DM needs something to consider as a balancing factor.

Outside of that - Wildfire druid does look fun, and the at-will teleport is honestly kind of nonsense. If you have access to Fizban's, there's always the Drakewarden class; this does mean more Ranger considerations, but you won't have to ask for the bonus action pet activation that Tasha's gave Beastmasters, it's already baked into Drakewarden.

Other option, mentioned above, is Artificer -> Battlesmith. Fluff your Steel Defender and your infusions not as mechanical creations, but as objects that you have grown from natural materials. Use an herbalism kit or something as your base, carry around seeds that you plant that grow into your spells and magic items. Your Steel Defender? That's an animal-shaped creation made of roots and vines, animated and moving under your will.

Last suggestion, if none of those work for you, is good old classic Shepherd druid. Ideally with the Tasha's summons, because Conjure X is just bonkers and can be interfered with by your DM if they really want to. As of level 3, you can start using Summon Beast, which I have found on my Beastmaster base to be surprisingly effective; it would be even moreso on a Druid base with full spellcasting progression!

KorvinStarmast
2022-09-26, 11:05 AM
My suggestion for you:
Rogue, Scout, vHuman, take Magic Initiate feat and from that get Find Familiar and two (wizard) cantrips of your choice. (Mage hand would be one, pick any other that suits your fancy)

Rogue Scout does some Rangery stuff, your familiar gives you the animal you need, and you can get some nice utility out of the cantrips.

animorte
2022-09-26, 11:17 AM
Another idea. Arcane Trickster gives you all the fancy utility you really need while still being all about skills and stealth.

MarkVIIIMarc
2022-09-26, 03:02 PM
At lower levels my Dex/Cha Wood Elf Lore Bard was kind of rangery.

35 movement is faster than average.

At low levels when the spell slots are scarce a basic bow got plenty of use.

DM had High Elf NPCs act better than my grubby Wood Elf who overly felt sorry for the short lived races "won't they just get old soon and we can come back and kick their butt!"

Mask of the Wild isn't OP but seems Rangery.

Bards get skills and survival and nature seemed fitting.

My character found an Oath Bow which kept the Rangery weapon attacks relevant. Concentrate on Polynorph, shoot Oath Bow at something elsw, give Bardic Inspiration out or cast Healing Word, then burn a Counterspell or Cutting Words on your reaction. Busy character.

It wasn't optimal but I grabbed Swift Quiver with a higher level Magical Secret. Two Bonus Action Elvish Accuracy Oath Bow shots felt good and Rangery.

Best familiar though had to wait for Find Greater Steed though Additional Magical Secrets can have you conjuring short term at Level 6.

After level 3 then level 6 my character was pulled towards a busy casting role in combat. Think Counterspell and all the Cutting Words. Very fun but not Rangery.

Reach Weapon
2022-09-26, 05:29 PM
Of all the players in my group I am the most experienced player. I like to have multiple options and solutions in a given situation. Spells and abilities will give that. As does a pet.

I've played the UA ranger [...] and it was to much. To powerful.
I apologize for this appearing to be the opposite of the advice for which you're looking, but I might start by trying to help your fellow players refine their builds (and ability to play them) first, such that your DM's concern that what you want is overpowered in comparison is diminished. Failing (or perhaps in spite of) that, suck it up and take on the mechanical mess, making it shine anyway, through your superior play? Sure, you might not be able to pull your party out of the fire the way you might otherwise, but sometimes the best adventures (or at least stories about them) end in failure.

Person_Man
2022-09-26, 05:53 PM
Almost immediately after publication in the PHB, WotC realized that making the player give up their Action for the pet to act was weak and un-fun. All subsequent pet/summon use their Bonus Action to command (sometimes with Concentration if its a spell).

If your DM limits you to the PHB, then you’re better off with a Pact of Chain Warlock, or just skipping the concept. PHB only Ranger is by far the weakest class - though its been mostly fixed with expanded subclasses, Ranger only spells, and alternate class features.

Psyren
2022-09-26, 06:32 PM
Almost immediately after publication in the PHB, WotC realized that making the player give up their Action for the pet to act was weak and un-fun. All subsequent pet/summon use their Bonus Action to command (sometimes with Concentration if its a spell).

Actually, most summon spells don't use your BA. See the Summon X and Conjure X line for example. You're correct about needing concentration though.

Animate spells do, though there are only two of those currently.

Kane0
2022-09-26, 06:35 PM
Drake Warden Ranger
Tashas Beastmaster Ranger
Battlesmith Artificer
Wildfire Druid
Chain Pact Warlock
Maybe Shadow Sorcerer spamming the Hound?

animorte
2022-09-26, 07:44 PM
Artillerist makes for a pretty solid ranger type. You get all kinds of gadgets and infusions to boost range capabilities. Use your action to shoot something and BA for your eldritch cannon to shoot something. Opens up more utility as well as maintaining armor/shield options.

Intregus182
2022-09-26, 11:51 PM
Drake Warden Ranger
Tashas Beastmaster Ranger
Battlesmith Artificer
Wildfire Druid
Chain Pact Warlock
Maybe Shadow Sorcerer spamming the Hound?

This.

Also a ranger that gets all the tashas options is fun and is not even close to being over or under powered. It is just good.

I have not played a drakewarden yet but it will be my next ranger

ReallySeamus
2022-09-27, 01:20 PM
My suggestion would be a finesse-build Oath of the Ancients Paladin. It take a bit to get the Find Steed spell, but you could try to lean into animal handling and a non-magical mount. If your DM won't let you play the UA Ranger or something similar, I think he should be willing to let you have an animal from the jump so you can actually play your character concept.

ATHATH
2022-10-01, 06:55 PM
Pact of the Chain Warlock with Investment of the Chain Master. Take a Sprite as your familiar and cosplay as Peter Pan.

Sjappo
2022-10-02, 02:29 PM
I apologize for this appearing to be the opposite of the advice for which you're looking, but I might start by trying to help your fellow players refine their builds (and ability to play them) first, such that your DM's concern that what you want is overpowered in comparison is diminished. Failing (or perhaps in spite of) that, suck it up and take on the mechanical mess, making it shine anyway, through your superior play? Sure, you might not be able to pull your party out of the fire the way you might otherwise, but sometimes the best adventures (or at least stories about them) end in failure.
I tried that, but my fellow players seem to be unable. A few of them are even after years of playing struggling with basic to hit calculation and skill checks. The just cannot grasp the mechanical side of the game. That's why I'm the DM, mostly.

What I'm trying to do is grab a mostly underpowered concept and optimise it to some extend. As I said, my UA ranger with bear was to much. As was my storm sorcerer/tempest cleric. So, yeah. That being said, the other players do look at me when things go sideways and expect me to have some trick or ace up my sleeve to save the day.

Anyway, a ranged ranger with melee pet gives me lots of options in combat, lots of skills usable out of combat and I have a character idea which give me a role playing base.