PDA

View Full Version : Why is Silvery Barbs called Silvery Barbs?

No brains
2022-09-26, 12:00 PM
What IS silvery barbs? I know essentially what it does, but why is that described as 'silvery barbs'? Why does a glittery cactus rearrange probability? Is there some lore, fluff, or poetry that explains why these silvery barbs are so powerful? Did that dead person from Stranger Things get turned into multiple surfing heralds of Galactus?

I think for all the stuff about silvery barbs, it's the name that bothers me the most. Let that tell you how confused I am.

JackPhoenix
2022-09-26, 12:11 PM
Probably because of the Silverquill College. As for why it is so powerful, that's because WotC sucks at balancing and playtesting.

cookieface
2022-09-26, 12:12 PM
silvery: "having a soft high clear musical tone" (from Merriam-Webster)
barb: "a biting or pointedly critical remark or comment" (also from Merriam-Webster)

ETA: The act of the spell is literally a melodious insult being shot at another creature to disrupt them.

Burley
2022-09-26, 12:16 PM
There's an old term of being "silver tongued." Apparently, a silver bell creates a very pleasing tone and having a "silver tongue" means your voice is pleasing. Being a "silver tongued devil" means you are able to pleasingly coerce people.

So, a bard, known for being "silver tongued," using their words to stab at somebody: Silvery Barbs.

Sigreid
2022-09-26, 12:24 PM
Combination of silver tongues which is to be eloquent and persuasive and Barb which is an insult that stings. So it could be translated as a persuasive insult. It magically undermines their confidence

No brains
2022-09-26, 12:38 PM
Ah, so it's cutting words but extraordinarily conceited about it.

NecessaryWeevil
2022-09-26, 12:49 PM
I assumed barbs in the sense of barbed wire, the purpose of which is to impede creatures. As does the spell.

No brains
2022-09-26, 02:11 PM
I assumed barbs in the sense of barbed wire, the purpose of which is to impede creatures. As does the spell.

That was my mistake too, but English is being English at me again. Stupid kenning and euphemistic meanings making their way into common lexicon.

Sigreid
2022-09-26, 06:40 PM
That was my mistake too, but English is being English at me again. Stupid kenning and euphemistic meanings making their way into common lexicon.

Blame William Shakespeare. He's the one that planted a lot of the poetic stuff into our common speech. hehe

Guy Lombard-O
2022-09-26, 07:38 PM
So, a bard, known for being "silver tongued," using their words to stab at somebody: Silvery Barbs.

So naturally, it has to go on the Wizard spell list...:smallyuk:

No brains
2022-09-26, 09:13 PM
Blame William Shakespeare. He's the one that planted a lot of the poetic stuff into our common speech. hehe

I've got my problems with Ol' Shakey just as much as anyone else, but I can't lay all the blame on him for this one. Kenning is, like many things, the vikings' fault. I can tell them what soil they can till with their 'wound hoes'.:smalltongue:

So naturally, it has to go on the Wizard spell list...:smallyuk:

Now, now. It makes perfect sense that the 'wise guy' class can pull off a 'wise remark'. Heck, unless Strixhaven has flowery humanities courses, 'Smart Remark' would have been a decent literal name for the spell.

Sigreid
2022-09-26, 09:24 PM
I've got my problems with Ol' Shakey just as much as anyone else, but I can't lay all the blame on him for this one. Kenning is, like many things, the vikings' fault. I can tell them what soil they can till with their 'wound hoes'.:smalltongue:

Oh, I know he's not the source of it, but he popularized a lot of things and straight invented a ton of words and phrases still used commonly enough in English today.

Burley
2022-09-27, 07:01 AM

I assumed it created images of aged Barbara Streisands, to distract your enemies and encourage your allies. As does the spell.

Amnestic
2022-09-27, 07:19 AM

That's wizards for you.

Bohandas
2022-09-29, 02:51 AM
I assumed it created images of aged Barbara Streisands, to distract your enemies and encourage your allies. As does the spell.

Like in the South Park episode with the evil fish?

Kane0
2022-09-29, 04:28 AM

Apparently rolls of the tongue better than 'Silver-tongued Prick' too.

Edit: Actually, if it were named 'Wisecrack' it would have landed considerably better for me.

deadman1204
2022-09-29, 01:33 PM
cause they put as much thought into the name as they did into balancing it.

Ortho
2022-09-29, 03:30 PM
I don't know, but it's why I've made it exclusive to the bard spell list.