PDA

View Full Version : heroes powers

Midnighter1021
2007-11-30, 12:28 AM
I'm a big fan of The NBC show heroes and im wondering out of all the powers that we have seen so far which one would you want?

Personally its a tie for me between Molly's powers of finding anyone in the world I would use it to find Bin Laden and make major bank (money) last I heard the bounty is sitting pretty @ 27 million dollars then which I would then ask the government to make it tax exempt.

The other one would be Peter's or Sylars (they are both pretty much the same.)

Skippy
2007-11-30, 12:51 AM
The other one would be Peter's or Sylars (they are both pretty much the same.)

I tend to disagree with you. Peter's power is power mimicry, while Sylar's power is more like power comprehension.

Myself, I'd choose, without a doubt, Hiro's or Parkman's.

Ichneumon
2007-11-30, 12:55 AM
I would choose Sylar's first original power. Just because I think it would be cool to predict traffic lights.

EDIT: But without the power to steal powers. I just want the power to see how certain systems work. The order of traffic lights going on and off for example.

Midnighter1021
2007-11-30, 01:08 AM
ok thanks for the clarification i now that i checked Wiki I understand.

I don't think that I would pick Hiro's because of the whole "can change the future" consequence. but yea parkman's would be cool.

and just to throw it out there the guy in 1st season who was radioactive ( I cant remember his name to save my life right now) really got the short end of the stick don't you think.

Pun Pun
2007-11-30, 01:28 AM
I would choose Sylar's first original power. Just because I think it would be cool to predict traffic lights.

EDIT: But without the power to steal powers. I just want the power to see how certain systems work. The order of traffic lights going on and off for example.

You know, Micah could really do a lot better on the traffic light thing. Or wireless, or whoever the person who blew up the company satalite was.

Me, I'd go with Hiro or Matts, (Lets Say that Mr. Patrelis and Mr. Greys are out of the question just to good) For anyone who saw last episode Claires, or at least Adams just got a lot worse. Bobs power would make me happy and Elles is just fun.

Powers I'd like least, Zanes.

Ichneumon
2007-11-30, 01:31 AM
You know, Micah could really do a lot better on the traffic light thing. Or wireless, or whoever the person who blew up the company satalite was.

I know, but it was just an example of a complex logical system I would like to understand. When seeinig one of the lights go on to being able to predict what will happen next, which lights go on and off and when. That would be cool. I am not interested in the electrical/technological aspect.

averagejoe
2007-11-30, 01:37 AM
I'd just like to say that both Peter and Sylar are cheaters. They are those kids who, when you're playing, insist that they get all the powers, just so they can be better than everyone else. :smallannoyed:

Which one would I want? Ichneumon makes a good argument for Sylar's non-stealing powers. That would be pretty awsome. Linderman's aren't too shabby either; I could use them to start a cult centered around the worship of me. :smallbiggrin:

Thormag
2007-11-30, 01:40 AM
Sylar's power is not well defined, we don't know what does the "see how things work" power works, so we can't really theorize its limits.
I would love to have Sprague's power (Radioactive man) or Matt's.
But if I had any power, I would love to have pH manipulation :smallbiggrin:

By the way, there is a Heroes thread around already :smalltongue:

Skippy
2007-11-30, 01:40 AM
ok thanks for the clarification i now that i checked Wiki I understand.

I don't think that I would pick Hiro's because of the whole "can change the future" consequence. but yea parkman's would be cool.

and just to throw it out there the guy in 1st season who was radioactive ( I cant remember his name to save my life right now) really got the short end of the stick don't you think.

Well, not actually. I think that if you check out Hiro's power, he's bound to the time-space continuum. He can't really change the future. No one can. What happened with Adam in the past was meant to happen, so in the present there would be a company and all the plot. He was meant to be there. He didn't change the past, he set it on course.

Thormag
2007-11-30, 01:44 AM
Well, not actually. I think that if you check out Hiro's power, he's bound to the time-space continuum. He can't really change the future. No one can. What happened with Adam in the past was meant to happen, so in the present there would be a company and all the plot. He was meant to be there. He didn't change the past, he set it on course.

Well... the past DID change when he tried to save Charlie (remember the photograph?). Remember the "Save the cheerleader, save the world" arc?
That was Hiro changing the past.

He CAN change the past, because there are multiple futures

MrEdwardNigma
2007-11-30, 07:59 AM
I'd definitely choose Hiro's power. Though having Peter's power could pretty much give me that power as wel, so that'd be nice too. I think everyone'd go for peter's power though since he pretty much has all powers, and that's why I'm disregarding it and picking from the other powers.

Hiro's power can make you change anything in the past that turned out wrong for you! That's awesome, right?

Oh, and I don't think Peter and Silar's powers are that alike. Peter can mimick other powers, while Silar comprehends them and then has to kill the people to take their powers. Seems like a big difference to me.

Thormag
2007-11-30, 08:03 AM
I'd definitely choose Hiro's power. Though having Peter's power could pretty much give me that power as wel, so that'd be nice too. I think everyone'd go for peter's power though since he pretty much has all powers, and that's why I'm disregarding it and picking from the other powers.

Hiro's power can make you change anything in the past that turned out wrong for you! That's awesome, right?

Oh, and I don't think Peter and Silar's powers are that alike. Peter can mimick other powers, while Silar comprehends them and then has to kill the people to take their powers. Seems like a big difference to me.

Oposites of the same coin.

And I think I'm the only person who WOULD'NT like to have Peter's power...

Green Bean
2007-11-30, 08:31 AM
Oposites of the same coin.

And I think I'm the only person who WOULD'NT like to have Peter's power...

Well, I wouldn't, but that's because the question says nothing about there being other people with powers. And I'd definitely pick Bob's power if I had a choice. Screw the rules, I have money.

Thormag
2007-11-30, 08:46 AM
Well, I wouldn't, but that's because the question says nothing about there being other people with powers. And I'd definitely pick Bob's power if I had a choice. Screw the rules, I have money.

And according to the creators Bob can transform (transmute?) things into other things besides gold. Perhaps... titanium? asbestos? adamantium? mithril? Okay... too much :smalltongue:

Green Bean
2007-11-30, 09:12 AM
And according to the creators Bob can transform (transmute?) things into other things besides gold. Perhaps... titanium? asbestos? adamantium? mithril? Okay... too much :smalltongue:

Of course, the downside to all this is that if anyone ever found out, people would fight wars over me. I mean, I could turn the biggest garbage dumps into pure crude oil, or even refined oil. I could sheath entire government buildings in titanium. I could turn toxic waste into delicious candy. I would be the most sought after man in the world, at least until I get tranquillized and wake up in a secret bunker hidden under the Himalayas.

Dihan
2007-11-30, 09:36 AM
I'd go for Monica's muscle mimicry ability. If I could make my own, though, I'd have adaptive evolution.

sealemon
2007-11-30, 09:36 AM

It's even more than that:

1. Sylar's power "acquisitions", at least until this season, were permanent. Peter's ability relies on his concentration to be able to use a given power (See below).

2. Sylar actually has only two core abilities: The ability to "see how things work"--a kind of intuitional analys ability that is pretty amazing in its own right; and the ability to absorb the X Factor/DNA of other heros. Peter's ability is that his DNA can mimic the DNA of practically anyone else: I could see the evolution of his power to include shapeshifting--at least in the disquise sense. If one follows his ability to its logical conclusion, then Peter is practically god on Earth: He can give himself any power he can imagine (He's duped abilities before, like TK, that he had never seen before). The only limit would be powers that cannot exist.

So why does Sylar keep kicking Peter's a@% ? Because Sylar can understand how his stolen abilities work almost instantly, and develop them at an amazing rate. He also is much smarter than Peter in a tactical sense. Peter is a multi-classed non gamer who still hasn't figured out that he needs to spend some time practicing with his abilities. Claude needs to come back and smack him around some more. :smallsmile:

sealemon
2007-11-30, 09:40 AM
Oh, and if I could pick any ability it would either be Parkman's (Do what I say and I can read your thoughts), Monica's (I can do whatever I see you do), Charlie's perfect memory or Sylar's intuition. All of those powers have a lot of potential and flexibility--they're also all subtle.

Skippy
2007-11-30, 10:12 AM
Of course, the downside to all this is that if anyone ever found out, people would fight wars over me. I mean, I could turn the biggest garbage dumps into pure crude oil, or even refined oil. I could sheath entire government buildings in titanium. I could turn toxic waste into delicious candy. I would be the most sought after man in the world, at least until I get tranquillized and wake up in a secret bunker hidden under the Himalayas.

Yeah, right. I would hate to be the most loved person in the universe, Even if it is for materialistic reasons. I would always get the chicks.

Rare Pink Leech
2007-11-30, 10:38 AM
If there are other people with powers, and if I come into contact with them, and if I know they also have poweres, then I would take Peter's ability, without a doubt. Cheese for the win :smallbiggrin: Plus, I wouldn't be an idiot like him, and I'd actually practice with my powers.

If I'm not allowed to add so many "ifs" to my choice, then I would go for Brian Davis - Sylar's first kill, the man with telekinesis. I love telekinesis.

Revlid
2007-11-30, 12:06 PM
Candice, Matt, or Eden.

Gotta love that mindf*ckery.

Illiterate Scribe
2007-11-30, 12:10 PM
I think that I'm backing Ichneumon; Sylar's intuitive thang is arguably the best.

Although time stop at will is quite nice.

sealemon
2007-11-30, 05:05 PM
Yeah, right. I would hate to be the most loved person in the universe, Even if it is for materialistic reasons. I would always get the chicks.

Being the most lvoed person is a little different than being perceved as an extremely valuable commodity by every single government on the planet. Not to mention every corp and terrorist group. Safe to say you would end up in a lad or dead very shortly "If the glorious nation of ____ can't have him, then no one can!"

Mewtarthio
2007-11-30, 09:32 PM
2. Sylar actually has only two core abilities: The ability to "see how things work"--a kind of intuitional analys ability that is pretty amazing in its own right; and the ability to absorb the X Factor/DNA of other heros. Peter's ability is that his DNA can mimic the DNA of practically anyone else: I could see the evolution of his power to include shapeshifting--at least in the disquise sense. If one follows his ability to its logical conclusion, then Peter is practically god on Earth: He can give himself any power he can imagine (He's duped abilities before, like TK, that he had never seen before). The only limit would be powers that cannot exist.

I'm not sure if Sylar really technically absorbs the "power DNA" of the other heroes. His power theft is just an extension of his intuitive knowledge of how things work (see his speech to Bryan Davis before killing him). It's more like he's able to analyze superpowered brains to figure out how superpowers work, and then use his incredible knowledge of his own metabolism to alter his brain to match. Remember, when he was captured by Primatech after "Homecoming," the only power they found in his DNA was telekinesis (the power he uses most).

As for me, I'd either take telekinesis (Brian Davis), because that's far and away the most widely useful superpower out there--heck, even Sylar relies on that above the rest of his massive store of other powers; eidetic memory (Charlie), because then I'd no longer have to study (plus I've always thought being a polyglot would be cool); or bending spacetime (Hiro), because it combines teleportation with time travel and is just plain cool (honestly, the only thing that stops me from choosing that one outright is Hiro's tendancy to land off-target. I'd hate to accidentally end up in the future and bring back some horrific future disease that we'll be immune to in five hundred years).

If I knew there were others out there with powers, and that things could potentially get violent, I'd be tempted with phasing (DL) to become immune to bullets and power cancellation (The Hatian Cancellation Sensation) to ignore mind control (mind control is scary). I honestly don't think I could trust myself with Eden's power: I'd either refuse to use it ever or go power-mad and start my own cult. Illusions (Candice) would also be pretty fun, plus it basically comes with free invisibility (in your face, Claude Raines!), but I'd rather have something primarily defensive in nature.

By the way, if you really want to get people to love you, The Hatian's father (from the comics) has emotion control.

Revlid
2007-12-01, 04:53 AM
The way it was explained to me, our brains are able to "re-wire" themselves, breaking, moving, and building new synapses to adjust to new information, such as new languages. This happens the most in childhood, but can happen later in life, as well. Sylar's brain, however, can (and does) rewire itself almost constantly. Before the events of Heroes the consequences of this were relatively minor, but once he started introducing such radical changes as new powers, the brain was altered so badly that he started going even more crazy.

Oh, and Monica's power should really be called Photographic Reflexes. Learn your Taskmaster!