PDA

View Full Version : Bonus Action Attacks

elyktsorb
2022-09-28, 07:36 PM
SO. I'm still on my Druid/Barbarian bs, which brings me to the topic of Bonus Action Attacks. Given doing a Spore Druid/Any Barbarian (I'm still wanting to try Zealot) leads to rider damage, getting a bonus action attack immediately is a good idea, and I have some thoughts.

Taking a level in Monk not only nets me a bonus action attack, but it also gets me an Unarmored Defense that I can put high Wis into to benefit my druid spells. Instead of Constitution, which is less needed since I'm stacking temp hp on myself.

Berserker Barbarian gets a bonus action attack during rage, but that suuucks.

However, this does set back my level progression, and the fact that I'm a Druid/Barbarian means I would generally use spells more for utility, or out of combat purposes, where having a slightly lower Wis score wouldn't be as big of an impact.

Variant Human/Custom Ancestry allows for feats, one of which is relevant. Polearm Master, which gives you a 1d4 bonus action attack with certain polearms. The only major downside to this is that it locks you into Variant Human/Custom Ancestry, and you're not taking other feats, but the latter is more of a choice abundancy issue.

I don't actually know how you get Double-Bladed Scimitar proficiency, but using that weapons allows you to have a bonus action attack. Though this is pretty undesirable as it conflicts with the ability to use a shield.

Dual Wielding is an option, but it's way less appealing than all these other options.

Finally we have racial bonus action attacks.

Centaur's have the ability to take a bonus action attack if they move 30ft straight towards a target and then make a melee weapon attack. Useable, but pretty restrictive.

Lizardfolk have an ability to make bites as a bonus action equal to their proficiency bonus per long rest, again, somewhat limited.

Longtooth Shifter's have a bonus action attack when they shift and during the shift, that is usable Proficiency Bonus times per long rest. More usable, but I'll benefit from it's temp hp less often.

So does anyone else know of easy to get Bonus Action attacks that I'm missing here?

Keltest
2022-09-28, 07:39 PM
You missed ordinary dual wielding, which is good(ish) because it let's you use your barbarian rage damage on the off hand attack, but also locks you out of a shield. Berserker barbarian also gets one if you can stomach being a berserker.

elyktsorb
2022-09-28, 07:43 PM
You missed ordinary dual wielding, which is good(ish) because it let's you use your barbarian rage damage on the off hand attack, but also locks you out of a shield. Berserker barbarian also gets one if you can stomach being a berserker.

I didn't miss ordinary dual wielding, I just don't think it's worth taking. Other options present far better choices. Though I will add that above. Similarly, Berserker Barbarian also not worth taking.

Keltest
2022-09-28, 07:55 PM
I didn't miss ordinary dual wielding, I just don't think it's worth taking. Other options present far better choices. Though I will add that above. Similarly, Berserker Barbarian also not worth taking.

Well, PAM is a solid choice for attaching damage riders to, maybe even the best choice. Add great weapon master and reckless for a fairly solid barbarian offense routine.

Psyren
2022-09-28, 09:41 PM
Longtooth Shifter's have a bonus action attack when they shift and during the shift, that is usable Proficiency Bonus times per long rest. More usable, but I'll benefit from it's temp hp less often.

Well actually, LS can shift that many times per long rest. But while shifted (lasting a minute, i.e. 10 rounds), you can use the bite freely. That gives them far, far more bonus-action bites in a day than the Lizardfolk gets, and without the Centaur's restriction.

elyktsorb
2022-09-28, 09:52 PM
Well actually, LS can shift that many times per long rest. But while shifted (lasting a minute, i.e. 10 rounds), you can use the bite freely. That gives them far, far more bonus-action bites in a day than the Lizardfolk gets, and without the Centaur's restriction.

Perhaps I worded that poorly, but that was my intention, that they can use the bonus action while shifted as much as they want.