PDA

View Full Version : What if Four Element was an option for all subclasses of monk?

Segev
2022-09-29, 03:24 AM
Would it break anything to allow any monk of any subclass to choose an Elemental Discipline that they meet the level requirement for instead of a subclass feature they would otherwise get?

It is often argued that four elements is the weakest monk subclass, so in theory, replacing other subclasses' features with an elemental one should be a downgrade, right?

Pooky the Imp
2022-09-29, 04:00 AM
It might break the flavour a bit if Shadow Monks are throwing around fireballs, Sun Soul Monks are using water attacks etc. :smallwink:

Kane0
2022-09-29, 04:04 AM
The only thing id be worried about is dropping a lacklustre subclass feature for one of the better elemental techniques, Like say Wholeness of Body for Fangs of the Fire Snake. Even then, not a whole lot of room for cherrypicking.

Person_Man
2022-09-29, 10:17 AM
I’d be perfectly fine with it, and as a general matter allow non-casters to mix and match subclass abilities. (Unless they’re just stacking abilities to squeeze out more DPR in an unbalancing way).

Also, years ago The community homebrewed a Way of the Four Monks. While it could probably use some updates, I used it in an campaign and it was very fun.

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?412907-Crowdsourced-Fix-of-Way-of-the-Four-Elements-Monk-Subclass

Psyren
2022-09-29, 10:25 AM
In general I don't mind mixing and matching subclass features on underpowered subclasses. Four Elements features though don't solve monk's core issues, i.e. ki starvation in the lower tiers and poor scaling in the higher tiers. So I would probably either combine this with another buff or just use a fixed homebrew version of whatever subclass I'm trying to power up.

LudicSavant
2022-09-29, 12:21 PM
It is often argued that four elements is the weakest monk subclass, so in theory, replacing other subclasses' features with an elemental one should be a downgrade, right?

That would only be true if the subclass features were of uniform quality throughout their progression, and that's very much not the case for some subclasses. I would happily trade Open Palm's level 11 feature for practically anything.

Then again, nothing would go amiss if Open Palm got some modest buffs anyways. So... shrug.

elyktsorb
2022-09-30, 01:42 AM
That would only be true if the subclass features were of uniform quality throughout their progression, and that's very much not the case for some subclasses. I would happily trade Open Palm's level 11 feature for practically anything.

Then again, nothing would go amiss if Open Palm got some modest buffs anyways. So... shrug.

I would definitely trade Open Palm's 11th lvl Sanctuary for the ability to drop a 9th lvl Fireball once per short rest.

Ulsan Krow
2022-09-30, 02:54 AM
Not at all, Monk is god awful anyway.