PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Need Advice for Atonement and Fallen Cleric (Both Crunch and Fluff Advice)

PretzelCoatl
2022-09-29, 04:37 AM
Hi, all.

I'm looking for some advice with the atonement spell, and adjudicating the loss of class abilities for a cleric.

The party decided to make a contract with a devil (ill-advised), then when trying to get out of it triggered a breach of contract clause they were unaware of that damned them all to hell. I had a scene set up where the party would negotiate with the god of devils (homebrew, but very Asmodeus-ish), and he would try to offer them a terrible contract where they went to retrieve a treasure for him that would involve the slaying of *numerous* angels. The goal here, from the point of view of the god in question, was to corrupt as many of them as possible, thereby seeding the world with more of his influence.

I expected the party to balk at this, refusing to commit practical genocide on the ranks of heaven, and was prepared with some alternative and less soul-damning options they could settle on. However, they did not even try to negotiate, and instead immediately took the deal.

They went to heaven and killed a BUNCH of angels, quite gleefully, I might add, some while even shouting their(?) new god's name. They had virtually zero issues with doing this.

With the contract concluded, I am definitely ruling them all evil as a result of not just what they did but how they did it. This isn't really a big issue for 84% of the party, since they aren't religious, but one member of the party is a cleric of the LG Crusader god (again, homebrew, sorry) who opposes the evil forces of the world, most specifically demons, devils, and the undead. It is worth noting that this god also has redemption in his portfolio.

Players FUBARed some contracts and ended up getting them in a situation where they killed a bunch of angels. I'm going to rule them as evil through their actions. One member of the party is a cleric of the LG Crusader god (homebrew) who opposes the evil forces of the world, most specifically demons, devils, and the undead. It is worth noting that this god also has redemption in his portfolio.

So my questions for this are as follows:

1) Should I immediately revoke the cleric's clerichood?
This proposes some serious issues, because the player in character is a big time powergamer and this will make him very upset, possibly to the point where it will cause an at-table incident. By the same token, however, I definitely feel that the actions warrant this. Without a doubt, if the player weren't a problem player willing to cause a scene every time something bad happens to his character, if this were a player that enjoyed roleplay or was willing to take responsibility for their actions, I wouldn't hesitate, but

2) Is it worth it to stick to these kinds of roleplay punishments at the cost of a smooth gaming experience?

3) Considering the redemption angle, should I instead perhaps to a "soft" revocation of the class/spells/abilities, limiting what spells he is allowed to use until he atones?

4) Speaking of atonement, how do I handle this?
I personally feel that simply casting a spell to undo..... angelic genocide is...cheap. I will admit that I am a little bit of a grognard in this situation. I just don't feel like it's good roleplay to go on a slaughtering rampage and just wave it all away with a single spell. However, I am fairly certain I am biased in this regard, so would like additional insight and perspectives. After all, the point is fun, not torture.

5) In regards to atonement, and this is a more crunch question than fluff, but how do I adjudicate this spell use?

1) Reverse Magical Alignment Change: If a creature has had its alignment magically changed, atonement returns its alignment to its original status at no additional cost.

2) Restore Class: A paladin, or other class, who has lost her class features due to violating the alignment restrictions of her class may have her class features restored by this spell.

3) Restore Cleric or Druid Spell Powers: A cleric or druid who has lost the ability to cast spells by incurring the anger of her deity may regain that ability by seeking atonement from another cleric of the same deity or another druid. If the transgression was intentional, the casting cleric must expend 2,500 gp in rare incense and offerings for her god’s intercession.

4) Redemption or Temptation: You may cast this spell upon a creature of an opposing alignment in order to offer it a chance to change its alignment to match yours. The prospective subject must be present for the entire casting process. Upon completion of the spell, the subject freely chooses whether it retains its original alignment or acquiesces to your offer and changes to your alignment. No duress, compulsion, or magical influence can force the subject to take advantage of the opportunity offered if it is unwilling to abandon its old alignment. This use of the spell does not work on outsiders or any creature incapable of changing its alignment naturally.

Depending on reading, the cleric in question has had their alignment magically altered (because they are being given the evil subtype and infused with some infernal corruption as a result of this clusterrbuck, non-magically altered due to their actions, and may (depending on the opinions of those here) lose both class and spells. That would mean they need all four options.
So do they need to cast this spell four times?

Thank you in advance to everyone for the advice and insight. I very much appreciate your time.

P.S. Fun fact, took a sneak peek at the cleric's spell list and they totally prepared atonement for today, so I think they know at least some of this is coming.

pabelfly
2022-09-29, 04:56 AM
The atonement spell requires the target to be truly repentant. I'm not convinced that the characters can have the benefits of being evil (getting the rewards of a bad contract, and then doing evil deeds to get out of said contract) while repenting.

So I would have the god in question require evidence of their repentance. They need to forgo the reward of the bad contract to show they've learnt their lesson. If that's not possible for story reasons, they need to forgo something more valuable than the reward, be it money, base stats or other things of importance.

I would also telegraph what you want to do before the start of the game, so the power-gamer player is prepared and this doesn't cause as much of an issue at the table.

Satinavian
2022-09-29, 05:10 AM
Fallen Clerics going back via atonement is not the only option. It is also possible to switch dieties to reflect their new outlook. I would probably take away the cleric power and talk with the player about whether they want to d a hard and long redemption arc to try to get them back or a diety switch arc where they e.g. turn to the responsible devil diety for real.

Inevitability
2022-09-29, 06:55 AM
Talk to your player. Make clear "Hey, the stuff your character did is incompatible with serving a LG god. Either you change gods to the LE one you've been working for anyway, or we're going to negotiate over how much your character loses while working on his redemption."

If the player is really a huge powergamer, then he'll probably answer 'cool, I am evil now then'. If he doesn't want that, consider the option that he might not want that because he wants to enter some Good-only PrC in the future, in which case you can talk about adaptations. If that's not it either, at least there's the opening of a redemption arc.

ciopo
2022-09-29, 08:07 AM
Seems reasonable to me that Not!Asmodeus could happily accept the services of this cleric, roleplay that with maybe a crunchy side of him changing domains.

GloatingSwine
2022-09-29, 08:11 AM
Give him the option.

Fall and begin to atone or accept the alignment change to LE and worship of a new deity.

Given the magnitude and nature of the fall though, I'd suggest the latter. You're playing an evil campaign now.

PretzelCoatl
2022-09-29, 08:15 AM
> The atonement spell requires the target to be truly repentant. I'm not convinced that the characters can have the benefits of being evil (getting the rewards of a bad contract, and then doing evil deeds to get out of said contract) while repenting.

Yeah, my players aren't big roleplayers, so they'll say they're repentant in the same way you're repentant when you pick the "good" option in a videogame. They aren't really true to their characters so much as they want what works best for a given situation, so you're right. But it's a hard stance for me to say "You're not truly repentant so this doesn't work" when they can just reply that they are.

Re: Redemption Arcs
This is a pretty good option, but... may not be workable here.
1) I'm not sure the entire party will go along with one character's redemption arc.
2) Their current over-quest has them on a bit of a time crunch.
3) In addition to slaughtering the angels, two of the players decided to utilize subclauses of their contracts when they got in trouble (calling for a miracle and smiting their enemies). Those players now have to build a temple to the devil-god and sacrifice a BUNCH of people in his name, so a redemption arc may just be off the table. The LG Cleric will also be, if not party to both of these things, at least silent witness.
(Again, this god's goal was/is to corrupt the players through their own actions, and I fear I may have... created a situation in which that succeeded a bit too well)

Re: Talking to the player.
This is very good advice and should have been obvious. Thank you.

> Fallen Clerics going back via atonement is not the only option

This is a good point, thank you. The player may well embrace evil, especially when he realizes he'll get a big power boost, and evil is easier to play (the entire party slants hard to evil already, and his theoretically LG alignment causes a fair amount of friction).
Unfortunately, he has an archetype that *requires* good alignment, meaning that if he goes dark side, he again loses his whole class (per the RAW, obviously I can always finagle something up), and I'm pretty sure he likes this archetype, so he may not want to lose it.

Telonius
2022-09-29, 12:31 PM
Okay, literal deal with the Devil, and slaying a bunch of angels? Welcome to Fallsville, population: You.

At this point, the mechanics of what happens are pretty obvious. Player is now an ex-Cleric, possible use of the Atonement spell, possible new deity, etc. But the real problem is not in-character, it's out-of-character. One of my personal big rules is: don't attempt to solve out-of-character problems with in-character solutions. This needs to be ironed out before the next session starts.

Talk to the players - all of the players - and let them know what their options are. They can move forward with an Evil campaign (assuming you're okay with that). Or, if they want to get back to their Good alignment back, they're going to need an Atonement. Let them know you're cool with either one, that there's not going to be any specific loss of power, just a reversed polarity on the alignment stuff for the whole group. Not a punishment, just recognizing a change that's clearly already taken place. Rebuke instead of Turn, channel inflict instead of cure, immune to Blasphemy, vulnerable to Holy Word, possible reselecting of Domains for the Cleric. That sort of stuff. Whatever they pick is cool, but they have to pick.

For the archetype, you can always mirror-image it. There have been Blackguards to mirror Paladins since forever; just turn the positives to negatives. The new archetype is your Big Devil Guy's final offer to completely seal the deal of turning him Evil, so it's something he'd want to make sure appeals to the poor idiots ... ahem, earnest worshipers who want to support his cause.

PretzelCoatl
2022-10-01, 01:55 AM
Alright, so what if the player wants to atone and redeem? Any advice on this? I've seen a lot of "make them go on a quest" stuff, but what about the shortterm? Loss of class, loss of spells, etc.

And in regards to the long term...I genuinely don't know what to do. The group is pretty deadset on it's current overarcing quest and are in a bit of a time crunch. I'm not sure the rest of the group would support the cleric taking a personal quest. Any thoughts on how to handle this?

P.S. Thanks a ton for the advice so far, everyone!

Telonius
2022-10-01, 10:18 AM
If they want to Atone, that would depend on the deity. You said it's an LG Crusader god. Are we leaning more on the LG or more on the Crusader? Either way, I'd say that (if they're really intending to atone) the deity might be able to postpone at least some of the consequences until after the world has been saved. A direct representative of the deity needs to show up (thinking on the lines of an advanced Trumpet Archon, or something else that gets across the, "we are no longer messing around" effect). If they're more Crusader than LG, a very stern, "All right. Deity will give you spells for now. But once the greater threat is gone, we will be returning." If they're more LG than Crusader, "Deity is powerful, but there are things that even Deity can't accomplish. We cannot pour his full power into an unsuitable vessel. We can give you your spells, but they will not be as powerful as they have been. until you have properly atoned." (Game effect: you can cast all the spells you normally could, but the caster level is decreased by something significant, like 4 or half).

Either case: "Understand this: we are giving this to you for now, but you are on probation. One step - one inch - off the straight and narrow, and your spells will be removed. Now lower your defenses and accept this boon." (Magical flash. If he doesn't have anything in his head slot, a Phylactery of Faithfulness appears. If he has something, its enchantment increases to include the Phylactery. Casts Geas/Quest instantly - usually ten minutes, but this is a Powerful Message that Deity is not screwing around. Caster Level: LOL you are not dispelling this with Remove Curse). "DO NOT REMOVE THIS UNTIL THE WORLD IS SAVED. You may have noticed some of our Paladins with this particular item; it will be your assistance until your own conscience recovers. Please, think before you act, and you can avoid much suffering. Now go forth. We will speak again when your quest is complete."

PretzelCoatl
2022-10-02, 02:15 AM
Good advice, thank you. I'll think on the specifics of the deity's portfolio and how best to accomplish his aims and appropriately represent him. Thanks a lot, that was very helpful. :)

Daisy
2022-10-02, 03:23 PM
One other thing to bear in mind is what you've led your players to expect. if you've allowed them to violate their alignment on a regular basis without consequences in the past then it's not unreasonable for them to be a little upset if you suddenly hit them with an atonement requirement. Of course I'm assuming from your post here that that isn't the case (otherwise I imagine you'd just handwave it this time too).

I am currently running a game with an LG "leader" (he thinks he's the leader, but he's just the face - with 8 CHAR :) ) and the rest of the party fairly neutral with a little chaotic leaning. Luckily the player running the LG character is a decent enough roleplayer that he won't do "bad things" unless the rest of the party/NPCs can offer a cogent argument about how it's for the greater good, etc.. If he started behaving in a non-LG manner I'd quickly slap him down for it and warn him that if he continued I'd change his alignment, with all the associated impacts that would have.

Basically, in my book alignments aren't just fluff - they're a "behaviour tax" that you have to pay if you want to get the benefits of the alignment. Want to play a Monk (yes, some folks do!)? You'd better be Lawful, and behave as if order and rules are important. Fancy being an Ur-priest? You'd better be evil, and I mean actually evil, not just a lazy, "I do what I want whenever I want" play style.

PretzelCoatl
2022-10-04, 01:37 AM
Agreed, that's pretty much how I run things. With the exception of this one player, however, no one has been playing with any alignment restrictions, so their actions didn't matter, at least not in a "how far my alignment dumps" point of view. This player has tried to play a paladin, given it up pretty quickly because of the alignment and behavioral restrictions, went to cleric due to it being easier, and is now dropping that. The other players dont' have any alignment restrictions, so they all think they're good aligned despite all being evil.

To give some closure, I spoke with the player and he decided he did not want to play the character anymore. He stated that he did not see a way forward with the character and that this made them unplayable. He will be starting a new character as of next session. Next character sounds like it will be a grimmdark murderhobo.