PDA

View Full Version : Santa Claus is coming to town! [Deity]

Grey Watcher
2007-11-30, 02:16 AM
Well, OK, not really, but in response to a thread (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?p=14463512#post14463512) on the WotC boards, I drew this up.

Enjoy!

Alright, I'm relatively new to homebrewing, but this is too kicky not to give it a shot, though.

Hehe, one of the random names I got back was Xocor. Sounds like some new perscription drug.

Undemdareny
The Great Toymaker
Greater Deity, Chaotic Neutral
Symbol: Varies, usually a child's toy common to the local populace
Portfolio: Toys, children, play, mischief, jokes
Clergy Alignments: Any Chaotic
Domains: Chaos, Community, Craft, Moon, Fey
Favored Weapon: Light hammer

Undemdareny was originally a deity of fey creatures, though worship of him is beginning to spread into humanoid communities. His form varies, though he usually takes the form of some kind of humanoid with gossamer wings dressed in blue. Though he is usually regarded as male, it's not uncommon for him to take feminine form whenever it's convenient or fun.

While most fey prefer to keep humanoids at arm's length (if not farther), Undemdareny encourages them to learn to live and work alongside them. His followers believe humanoids and fey have much to offer each other. Undemdareny and his followers have a special love for humanoid children. Unlike the more sober adults, these fey find kindred spirits in the unfettered imagination and free spirits of children. Undemdaranites often help children in getting into (and out of) all manner of mischief, usually benign. Frequently, they build marvelous toys, games, joke paraphenalia, and other things to help delight and amuse children. True to their fey nature, they prefer to work in secret, often creating and delivering gifts by moonlight, and wait and watch the child's delight when he finds their handiwork in the morning.

Needless to say, authority figures of all kinds, from monarchs to courthouses to parents (especially parents) have less than cordial relations with Undemdarey and his followers. To Undemdareny, however, such struggles are games, and very fun ones, at that.

Scholars often debate Undemdareny's curiously high stature among the Gods, given that his worshippers are relatively few. His secret is that he draws power from each child's delight, the way most deities do from worshippers.

Undemdareny counts Yiggur and Zathka among his best friends. The likes of Heironeous, Hextor, Bane (FR), and Tyr (FR) are too serious for his tastes, and, when Undemdareny can manage it, are the butt of cosmic practical jokes.

I would appreciate suggestions about avatars, heralds, and the like, as I know next to nothing about those things.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-11-30, 02:18 AM
Wait, Santa's CN?

Grey Watcher
2007-11-30, 02:31 AM
Wait, Santa's CN?

Actually, my inspiration was more The Elves and the Shoemaker, plus the random set of domains and alignment the original poster gave.

I just put Santa in the headline because I thought it would grab attention....:smallredface: Besides, it's that time of year, anyway....

StickMan
2007-11-30, 07:59 AM
I'm going to have to go with Krimm here this Deity (Santa or not) is so on the Good side of the scale. He gains power from making little kids happy, unless he then goes and kills there parents or some other evil side gig I'm going to say he is good.

Scythoro
2007-11-30, 09:26 AM
I would have thought that his favorite weapon would have been the Sling-Shot. Also how could he been worshipped by a Chaotic Evil? What would they have to gain from a toymaker/(shoemaker)?

Grey Watcher
2007-11-30, 10:29 AM
I would have thought that his favorite weapon would have been the Sling-Shot. Also how could he been worshipped by a Chaotic Evil? What would they have to gain from a toymaker/(shoemaker)?

Yeah, admittedly, I was thinking more Chaotic Good, but the original thread on WOTC involved a list of alignments and domains generated by a randomized computer program, so I was trying to stay true to it. I was going to try and justify it by saying that they sometimes pander to some of the nastier children out there, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Maybe I'll add a rule that, like St. Cuthbert, he doesn't take Evil followers.

Oh, and the slingshot hadn't occured to me as a favored weapon, I think I was focused on melee weapons and went with what seemed closest to a toymaker's tools.

Xuincherguixe
2007-11-30, 11:20 AM
Also how could he been worshipped by a Chaotic Evil? What would they have to gain from a toymaker/(shoemaker)?

All the Evil Shoes/Toys they could want and/or eat?

BisectedBrioche
2007-11-30, 12:20 PM
All the Evil Shoes/Toys they could want and/or eat?

Evil shoes are no joke. Carry a can of air freshener at all times, kids.

Telonius
2007-11-30, 01:10 PM

Coal. They're in an energy-deprived land.