PDA

View Full Version : Porting the BG2 Equalizer to 5e

J-H
2022-09-30, 12:24 PM
My current campaign is at level 19 with at least 6 sessions to go, but I'm already planning the BG2->5e adaptation.
My goal is to do it with minimal advance documentation. I'll be making a number of changes, including adapting BG2 magic items to 5e's paradigm. +5-+6 becomes +3, +3-+4 becomes +2, +1/+2 becomes +1 or possibly just "+0/moontouched" depending on the context.

In Baldur's Gate II, you can find 3 different parts to a longsword call the Equalizer. It is, as I recall, a +3 sword. It does bonus to hit and damage based on the alignment of enemies, ranging from +0/+0 against TN enemies up to +3/+3 vs LG/CG/LE/CE enemies. This is antithetical to the "track every bonus +1" of 5e, and puts extra work on me as the DM to specifically determine the exact alignment of every single enemy whoever wields it swings at.

Any suggestions for how to keep the general concept? Maybe giving it a bane-like effect against undead, divine casters, elementals, fiends, and celestials?

It requires getting 3 different parts, including two from difficult Underdark sections, so it's also entirely possible the party will never put it together.

Amnestic
2022-09-30, 12:48 PM
I think it's fine for a special (some might say 'artifact') weapon to have some weirdness about it's +1s/2s/3s personally. Some artifacts do a *lot* more than that, and the equalizer is relatively simple in comparison.

If you don't want to go by alignment I'd personally still keep the scaling feature based upon creature type:
+0 - Plant/Beast/Humanoid
+1 - Construct/Dragon/Monstrosity/Ooze
+2 - Elemental/Fey/Undead
+3 - Aberration/Fiend/Celestial

Personally I kept the alignment scale when I converted it. My BG1/2 item conversions are here (https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/23jWZGPv_gbz) if you want to copy/take inspiration from them.

Kane0
2022-10-01, 12:29 AM
+2 sword, requires attunement by character that is not cleric, druid or wizard

Grants immunity to frightened and charmed conditions, and deals an extra +1d8 damage against creatures that are not true neutral or unaligned (basically aberrations, celestials, fiends, fey, dragons, undead, most mortals like humanoids and giants but not beasts, plants, oozes and construcrs)