PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else not going to play DnD 6e and keep playing 5e?

Amano666
2022-09-30, 04:27 PM
Personally I can't wait for there to be a whole new shiny forum devoted to 6e, that way I don't have to see the posts about it anymore.

5e definitely hit a real sweet spot for me, it has everything I am looking for when it comes to a RPG, and after reading the UA material I have zero motivation to buy the PHB+MM+DMG again. I have loved running 5e games, playing in 5e games, writing my own material, etc. and I don't think that there is a compelling reason for me to move on to another system (except the notion that finding a 5e game to play/run will eventually be like finding folks who want to play 2e now). In short I guess I am dissatisfied with the direction that the game developers and company seem to be going, and have been for a while. I honestly don't trust them anymore and feel that 5e was the last unpolluted edition we will see.

What I am hoping is that more 3rd party companies and freelance writers continue to develop the 5e system and materials/settings/modules because I think there is a lot more life (and money to be made) in 5e. I hope that people continue to play 5e, I know I will be. I have definitely gained a new respect for people who still play the older editions and a new understanding why. Anyone else in the same boat? Any thoughts on what you would like to see in the future for 5e?

I know some might disagree and think that 6e is going to be the greatest thing ever. Definitely not looking for a debate about why one edition is, or will be, superior. Lets have a positive discussion of what we love about 5e and it's future in light of the new edition announcement.

JadedDM
2022-09-30, 04:56 PM
I mean, to be fair, we're only get drip fed details so far, so we don't even know for sure what it will look like yet. And it won't officially be published for another few years.

But that said, I spent 30 years playing 2E before switching over to 5E just a few years ago, so I'm not exactly eager to start over again.

Knowing my luck, if/when I do make the switch, it will be just months before 7E is announced.

Psyren
2022-09-30, 05:04 PM
I expect most people will just mix and match their favorite parts of both. For example, I know I'll be ignoring that Jump Action crap if it makes it to live somehow, but I'm absolutely keeping the new Light Weapon TWF rules that free up your bonus action.

Kane0
2022-09-30, 05:09 PM
Im absolutely going to blend the two together, it wouldnt be that much extra effort considering all the homebrew ive already done.

Brookshw
2022-09-30, 05:28 PM
Indifferent so far to the releases and perfectly happy with the current stuff. If they balance it out, eh maybe, it'll largely come down to what my and my players kids want to play.

Agreed mix and match is likely.

PhoenixPhyre
2022-09-30, 05:41 PM
Im absolutely going to blend the two together, it wouldnt be that much extra effort considering all the homebrew ive already done.

I may cherry pick things, but I foresee my games drifting further mechanically from both of them. Which is funny, since I've played 5e mostly stock as far as rules go. I've homebrewed lots of content, but the framework is basically untouched.

Goobahfish
2022-09-30, 06:07 PM
Well... 6E isn't very different from 5E. I imagine there will a fair bit of 'drift' across (i.e., this is cool and better, we'll use this). Then some of it will need to go wholesale... 6E Rogue or Ranger. Then just 6E with some 5E house-rules for the bits we hate.

Of course in my 'real games', I don't play D&D so, I'm just going to keep perusing for things to steal. Not much worth stealing sadly.

MutantDragon
2022-09-30, 07:44 PM
I'll reserve judgment until the final product is released, but I do agree that 5e is awesome and Wizards of the Coast seems to be drifting away from where I want things. I haven't looked too closely at the 1D&D stuff yet, but some of the recent changes they've been pushing for 5e (no racial ability modifiers, no NPC spellcasters, etc.) have rubbed me the wrong way, so I suspect there'll be more stuff like that. Still, it could actually end up an improvement, so I'll wait and see, but sticking with 5e is most certainly my backup plan.

Leon
2022-09-30, 07:55 PM
I'll play whatever's going ~ cant say many people i know will be rushing to a new ed, many are still happily playing 2e or 3.5 (prob some who play 4e aswell) and a whole bunch have started on 5e and really invested into it.

PallyBass
2022-09-30, 09:20 PM
I will stick with 5e until I am gifted the 6e books and I happen to like what I read in those books.

Arkhios
2022-10-01, 04:12 AM
What 6e? There's One D&D Playtest for the upcoming 2024 update, but it's still 5e. :smallcool:

OldTrees1
2022-10-01, 04:23 AM
Context: 1D&D is 5.5E.

Answer:
When 6E is revealed, released, and reviewed, I will stop playing 5E/1D&D except for rare circumstances when the flaws of 5E are benefits to the specific campaign. Whether I move to 6E depends on if 6E is valuable to me. I have imperfect unsupported previous editions I can use if 6E fails to improve on D&D.

Arkhios
2022-10-01, 04:28 AM
Context: 1D&D is 5.5E.

That's speculation, not confirmed (yet). Until then, it's 5E.

OldTrees1
2022-10-01, 05:01 AM

Umm. What more do you want? Plenty has been confirmed, and I think it being 5.5E in all but name / PR has been confirmed by now.

Furthermore, that was context for my answer. You can reach a different conclusion, however that does not change that my answer is contingent on the context as I specified.

Sorry if this comes across as a bit terse. Your reply did come across as encountering me stating my contextual premise and replying with "No you can't answer based on that premise, use Arkhios' premise instead".

Azuresun
2022-10-01, 05:47 AM
I probably won't, and that's got nothing to do with the quality. I just don't like learning new systems that much, and actually find it harder if it's in the "like something I know, but with a lot of changes" zone of familiarity.

This is probably my stop on the train, coming up.

NRSASD
2022-10-01, 06:16 AM
I’m probably not going to switch. As others have pointed out, I’m happy to pillage the new stuff for ideas but I’m not keen on learning a whole new ruleset just because. Additionally, 5E is drifting away from what I want and am interested in, so now I just homebrew everything. Personally, I’m basically writing my own 5.5E anyways so why bother with theirs?

Person_Man
2022-10-01, 06:46 AM
One D&D has a very 3.5 or Pathfinder feel for me so far. The basics of most of the rules seem unchanged, so far. So its more 5.5E rather than 6E. Which is fine.

Catullus64
2022-10-01, 07:03 AM
I'm definitely in the camp that will be picking and choosing between old systems and new changes, at least as far as my games with friends go. A stopped clock is right twice a day, and even if the new overall direction isn't for me, there are still plenty of good ideas and cool designs emerging from it. For store games, I'll go with the prevailing wind, but I suspect that even if the change is overwhelmingly towards the new rules, it won't actually change much in how I plan and run the game.

I also think it's premature to say that 5e was the last of its kind, and that we'll never see its like again; I wouldn't be surprised if at some point the needle moves back towards 5e's design sensibilities. The history of this game looks increasingly cyclical.

JonBeowulf
2022-10-01, 07:05 AM
I've been playing D&D since 1983 and what I've got in my library is all I'm ever going to have. Well, I may pick up a campaign book if one of my groups is interested. PHB, DMG, Volo's, Xan's, and Mord's (along with my own imagination) are enough to keep me going until I can no longer pick up the dice.

I'm certainly not signing up for a subscription service that will end up costing me more than I've already spent on physical copies.

Waazraath
2022-10-01, 07:21 AM
I won't switch the way it seems now. The new rules seem slightly different - sometimes better, sometimes worse, but definitely not different enough to justifying buying all core books again. I'm neither interested in digital 3d tabletops. While not very negative about the new rules as such, I"m extremely negative that this is the best they could have come up with after all these years.

So we'll finish the OotA campaign, after that we'll have a plenty purchased adventure books we can run in 5e that we never played before (Saltmarsh, Feywild Carnival, Dragon Queen, Frostmaiden) - and

I've been very enthousiastic from 5e from the beginning onwards, but the quality of the later books and the way the game seems to be heading now makes it more likely I'll return to ad&d 2e or 3.5 than purchasing new stuff. At least untill we get a real new edition, and that proves to be actually an improvement.

Chronos
2022-10-01, 07:55 AM
Nothing in the past couple of years has given me any reason to believe that the current developers are anything remotely resembling competent. Until and unless that changes, I'm not bothering with any new content they create.

JonBeowulf
2022-10-01, 08:26 AM
Nothing in the past couple of years has given me any reason to believe that the current developers are anything remotely resembling competent. Until and unless that changes, I'm not bothering with any new content they create.
Skilled/Talented people are expensive so corporate wisdom seems to be "kick them out once you've got a successful product." Kind of like what happened between MCU Phase 1-3 and the garbage they've been releasing since halfway through Phase 4.

I'll keep my eye on what WotC puts out in case there are some ideas worth pilfering, but I'm not tying myself to D&DB to play the game.

Warder
2022-10-01, 08:32 AM
I've seen nothing so far that feels worth spending any amount of money on (if you already own 5e).

Keltest
2022-10-01, 08:36 AM
I've seen nothing so far that feels worth spending any amount of money on (if you already own 5e).

This is about where I sit as well. At best its going to be a lateral move compared to books that I already own and can use forever. And we arent looking at a best case scenario here right now.

animorte
2022-10-01, 08:47 AM
I mean, if I really want I can just keep the current UA pdfs I have and modify it as necessary to resemble the official published content later.

Point being that I don’t intend to spend money on any more product any time soon. Although it would be nice to actually join at something near the beginning for once.

5e has been kind to me, so we’ll have to wait until seeing more content and how they change some of my favorite (and least favorite) concepts.

Seramus
2022-10-01, 08:50 AM
We barely know anything about 5.5E.

So, too early to tell.

Frogreaver
2022-10-01, 11:58 AM
Honestly my biggest fear was that 5.5e would just place a new coat of paint on 5e and call it a day. That doesn't seem to be the case. The base rules seem like they are going to change enough - and IMO enough to make it a worthwhile upgrade or at least potentially so. I'm much more interested in it now than I was when I first heard about it.

MarkVIIIMarc
2022-10-01, 12:09 PM
I might but man, maybe I'll wait until 7e or something enough different for me to be able to tell the difference and not fibd ppl who want to play.

There is a parallel to Spiderman movies here. There are soo many versions I have no bloody idea how Uncle Ben died, if Peter and Mary Jane are together and in sone cases even who his Aunt is.

The publishers are fighting an uphill battle against the internet also. We own some books but honestly google gets me my answers quicker. I may give them $40 a year via Paetron but I'm just tired of buying books.

Tawmis
2022-10-01, 06:10 PM
I have a number of games I am running right now - that I will probably finish with 5e, regardless.

Because I don't want the disruption of how it might fit D&D One (since there's no 6e, this is all supposed to be "compatible" - but I have my doubts).

So when D&D One (whatever it will be called) officially releases, if I like what I see, I will definitely pick it up and begin new campaigns in that.

But all my existing are going to finish in 5e. And some have a long way to go before I see them ending.

Like you, 5e has hit the perfect spot for me. But that's not to say that the next one take that and improve it in some way.

Willing to wait and see.

Sigreid
2022-10-01, 06:20 PM
It's early so it may change, but as of right now I don't see them producing anything new that I have an interest in and have contacted my virtual desktop to start lobbying to not force any new conversions on products we've already purchased.

Kane0
2022-10-01, 07:56 PM
I mean, if I really want I can just keep the current UA pdfs I have and modify it as necessary to resemble the official published content later.

5e has been kind to me, so we’ll have to wait until seeing more content and how they change some of my favorite (and least favorite) concepts.

Cunning, clever and seconded.

2D8HP
2022-10-01, 09:33 PM
Depends on what others want to play in my area.

If they were still willing players (or better yet a DM) who were up for using the D&D rules I learned in 1978 I would play with those rules, as far as my playing 5e or 5.5 or 6e (or whatever) it depends on what’s popular, as I’m not much of a game evangelist eager to convert others, so I’ll just use whatever rules are already in use at the table.

Ortho
2022-10-02, 01:41 AM
To be honest, I'm not seeing much of a difference between5e and 6e/1D&D/5.5e/the D&D Series D.

With what the current playtests have revealed, I think we can get away with plopping a 6e character in a 5e game or vice versa and nothing will break. I'll likely keep playing as though they're the same edition.

Arkhios
2022-10-02, 04:34 AM
Umm. What more do you want? Plenty has been confirmed, and I think it being 5.5E in all but name / PR has been confirmed by now.

Furthermore, that was context for my answer. You can reach a different conclusion, however that does not change that my answer is contingent on the context as I specified.

Sorry if this comes across as a bit terse. Your reply did come across as encountering me stating my contextual premise and replying with "No you can't answer based on that premise, use Arkhios' premise instead".

I deserved that. I was more snide than I intended.

What I meant is that — and maybe it is just me — until WotC/D&D designers&development team call it a new edition, for me it's not. Plain and clear. So far they're calling the playtest project as One D&D, nothing more.

Kurald Galain
2022-10-02, 05:10 AM
Well, this is interesting. I'm not a frequent 5E player and was recently considering giving it another shot (mainly because of my strong dislike of PF2), but this whole "one D&D" business is not looking promising. I guess my timing is just way off.

Arkhios
2022-10-02, 05:54 AM
Well, this is interesting. I'm not a frequent 5E player and was recently considering giving it another shot (mainly because of my strong dislike of PF2), but this whole "one D&D" business is not looking promising. I guess my timing is just way off.

There's two years before any of this One D&D business will matter, if even after then. You haven't lost your chance to give it a go. There are some (yours truly included) who don't see these changes necessary at all.

Psyren
2022-10-02, 11:04 AM

As others have said, you don't have to pay attention to 1DD at all for another 2 years. Plenty of time give 5e a go; I too am a PF1 stan and I haven't regretted switching to 5e.

OldTrees1
2022-10-02, 12:29 PM
I deserved that. I was more snide than I intended.

What I meant is that — and maybe it is just me — until WotC/D&D designers&development team call it a new edition, for me it's not. Plain and clear. So far they're calling the playtest project as One D&D, nothing more.

If they released 5E in 2014 but did not call it a new edition, would you continue to consider it 4E? If so, your usage of edition and my usage of edition are using the same word for unrelated topics. That usage would be branding, while my usage is about semantic versioning.

Or maybe you have some other reason for waiting for the devs to use the word first.

I find the term edition is useful as a semantic versioning (https://semver.org/) concept. We can see the scope of the changes 1D&D will have by the range of scope of the changes they are playtesting. Based on that scope, 1D&D is NOT a new edition (6E) but is making enough changes to the base system to call it different from 5.0E. Hence why I feel it is reasonable to call it 5.5E (equivalent to a 5.1 semantic version) based on what we have seen so far.

3.5E is still 3E even if 3.0E is not identical to 3.5E. That model seems to fit 1D&D based on what we have seen.

Arkhios
2022-10-02, 12:52 PM
Or maybe you have some other reason for waiting for the devs to use the word first.

I have no problem admitting that I may have some sort of mental disorder, that may be causing the difficulty to accept community rumors and speculation as hard facts.
(I have not been diagnosed, but I'm guessing asperger or autism).

DomesticHausCat
2022-10-02, 12:58 PM
Depends on how I feel about the phb when it comes out. I'll definitely get the phb and if I really like it I'll get the monster manual.

Psyren
2022-10-02, 01:29 PM
If they released 5E in 2014 but did not call it a new edition, would you continue to consider it 4E? If so, your usage of edition and my usage of edition are using the same word for unrelated topics. That usage would be branding, while my usage is about semantic versioning.

I find the term edition is useful as a semantic versioning (https://semver.org/) concept. We can see the scope of the changes 1D&D will have by the range of scope of the changes they are playtesting. Based on that scope, 1D&D is NOT a new edition (6E) but is making enough changes to the base system to call it different from 5.0E. Hence why I feel it is reasonable to call it 5.5E (equivalent to a 5.1 semantic version) based on what we have seen so far.

3.5E is still 3E even if 3.0E is not identical to 3.5E. That model seems to fit 1D&D based on what we have seen.

I have no problem admitting that I may have some sort of mental disorder, that may be causing the difficulty to accept community rumors and speculation as hard facts.
(I have not been diagnosed, but I'm guessing asperger or autism).

What matters to me is not the label, but how difficult things are to convert. Converting 3e and even a lot of 2e content to 3.5 was fairly trivial. Converting 3.5 to PF1, a little less so but still fairly easy. Converting 3.5 to 4e, or 4e to 5e would have been a massive undertaking. But I don't get the sense that 5e -> 1DD will be very difficult at all.

OldTrees1
2022-10-02, 05:36 PM

It is generally rational to not accept rumor and speculation as if it were facts. At best they are possibly true, and it might be worth looking at the sources of the information. It is possible to review the evidence WotC released on 1D&D* and it is possible to reach a different conclusion than mine**.

Regardless of the reason for your hesitancy, I assume it has merit***. You might have insight I do not.

*For example: The playtest materials and their videos talking about compatibility
**For example: Some expect 1D&D to be 6E.
***This type of assumption has served me well. I have learned many things in life I otherwise would have missed.

Selion
2022-10-02, 06:15 PM
It's not even an issue to me. My main group is a PBF, d&d is a slow pacing game, played by forum it is even slower. After YEARS we are now level 7 (starting from 1), I expect by 2024 we will be past ten, probably I'll try some one shot to see if I like new rules, but the main campaign will still be a 5e one. They will require another couple of years to have enough options for dnd1 to be appealing in respect to 5e, then we'll see if it's better upgrading existing groups to new rules, or starting another long campaign with new rules.

This hobby really takes forever to play :D

Kane0
2022-10-02, 06:24 PM
It's not even an issue to me. My main group is a PBF, d&d is a slow pacing game, played by forum it is even slower. After YEARS we are now level 7 (starting from 1), I expect by 2024 we will be past ten, probably I'll try some one shot to see if I like new rules, but the main campaign will still be a 5e one. They will require another couple of years to have enough options for dnd1 to be appealing in respect to 5e, then we'll see if it's better upgrading existing groups to new rules, or starting another long campaign with new rules.

This hobby really takes forever to play :D

Lol ever tried an actual wargame? Battletech is mine of choice and a D&D fight is basically lightspeed in comparison

rel
2022-10-02, 06:49 PM
I'll probably play it if someone in my group pitches a compelling game.

As for running games, only if it offers something new and unachievable using a system I already own and have spent time customising to my liking.

Or to put it another way, I haven't incorporated any content released after 2014 yet, and unless WotC come up with something groundbreaking that isn't going to change.

Witty Username
2022-10-02, 11:08 PM
Depends on what others want to play in my area.

If they were still willing players (or better yet a DM) who were up for using the D&D rules I learned in 1978 I would play with those rules, as far as my playing 5e or 5.5 or 6e (or whatever) it depends on what’s popular, as I’m not much of a game evangelist eager to convert others, so I’ll just use whatever rules are already in use at the table.

Who you get to play with is probably more important than the system anyway.

--

I haven't decided yet, times with 5e are good if they stay good and One D&D doesn't grip, then I will probably keep playing that. If my play group gets hooked by it, we might grab it.

The new crit rules will probably die in a fire.

strangebloke
2022-10-02, 11:27 PM
Look, I need a reason.

If DND ONE offers any of the following, I will have reason to steal from it:

better / more consistent lore and worldbuilding.
characters who don't cast spells but have interesting features from levels 1-20
tools to arbitrate ability checks more fairly without relying on my judgement for everything
better formatting (Its all well and good to lament that people don't read the DMG, but in fairness I'd rather walk over broken glass than read that book again.)
compelling monster and adventure design

The Alpha material we've seen for DND ONE so far does not make me think many of the following are going to be true. So while I may steal some things, I expect that overall I'm going to be more of a 5e guy than a DND ONE guy.

Now, you might say that I'm being too harsh, that DND ONE could totally add real and interesting features for martials in a future update. But, well, I will believe it when I see it. The recent monster design has sucked. The spells that have been added are so ludicrously overtuned I've no idea how they got past QA (silvery barbs? Really?) and several player race options that have been release are both offensive AND mechanically unsound. Seriously, who came up with the implementation of the Hadozee?

It really feels like there's an overarching design goal at work here, where everything needs to be systematized and quantified and balanced, and tall poppies have to be cut in order to ensure that everyone is mathematically equal. (Except of course that people aren't mathematically equal, because casters are still massively more flexible than martials in every single way)

RazorChain
2022-10-02, 11:39 PM
I played 2nd edition for many years, just dipped into 3e, skipped 4e completely and mostly got back into 5e because of my kids.

I don't care really. If next edition is bad I'll just keep playing 5e until I play something else. I have campaign ideas for Cyperpunk/Shadowrun and there is also an Exalted campaign I want to run, then there is an Ars Magica campaign that I have been meaning to run for ages.

Marcloure
2022-10-02, 11:41 PM
My issue with One D&D is that it feels too similar to justify buying everything again. I wish they would bring more new stuff and actually innovate on the rules and such. I know most people wouldn't like that though, people don't like change...

Speely
2022-10-02, 11:55 PM
Can't really say since it's not finalized and out yet. I guess I'll decide once it is, and until then I'll just give feedback.

5eNeedsDarksun
2022-10-03, 12:08 AM
Personally I can't wait for there to be a whole new shiny forum devoted to 6e, that way I don't have to see the posts about it anymore.

5e definitely hit a real sweet spot for me, it has everything I am looking for when it comes to a RPG, and after reading the UA material I have zero motivation to buy the PHB+MM+DMG again. I have loved running 5e games, playing in 5e games, writing my own material, etc. and I don't think that there is a compelling reason for me to move on to another system (except the notion that finding a 5e game to play/run will eventually be like finding folks who want to play 2e now). In short I guess I am dissatisfied with the direction that the game developers and company seem to be going, and have been for a while. I honestly don't trust them anymore and feel that 5e was the last unpolluted edition we will see.

What I am hoping is that more 3rd party companies and freelance writers continue to develop the 5e system and materials/settings/modules because I think there is a lot more life (and money to be made) in 5e. I hope that people continue to play 5e, I know I will be. I have definitely gained a new respect for people who still play the older editions and a new understanding why. Anyone else in the same boat? Any thoughts on what you would like to see in the future for 5e?

I know some might disagree and think that 6e is going to be the greatest thing ever. Definitely not looking for a debate about why one edition is, or will be, superior. Lets have a positive discussion of what we love about 5e and it's future in light of the new edition announcement.

I'm on board with pretty much everything you wrote, and I can't for the life of me figure out why multiple alternate settings with modules to take characters up to 20th level aren't the priority. At this point they're losing me as a customer as I (with the help of others on the internet) convert my old 2e stuff.
Full agreement on your first point about having to sift through posts of an edition I'm not playing: Can we please get a different forum for the next edition, whatever they want to call it?

Mastikator
2022-10-03, 06:16 AM
Depends on the outcome, so far most of the stuff I've seen I've liked. I really hope the playtesters give useful feedback and that they listen, my confidence for that is reasonably high. The odds are good that in 3 years I'll be playing D&D one, not sure about VTT though, it's just not the same as playing IRL, eating chips, making jokes and doing stupid things.

animorte
2022-10-03, 06:28 AM
I can't for the life of me figure out why multiple alternate settings with modules to take characters up to 20th level aren't the priority.

Because spending $40 on a book with some interesting setting additions and a campaign that last until 20 makes them less money than 3 different books each $40 in the same campaign, the first going levels 1-8, then 9-14, and finally 15-20 (if the first two books received enough attention).

elyktsorb
2022-10-03, 06:49 AM
I primarily play dnd these days by playing on roll20, so if tons of whatever the new edition is called game start showing up and 5e one disappear, then I probably will.

BoutsofInsanity
2022-10-03, 08:28 AM
Depends if they keep the change to grappling or not.

I really like the current grapple rules combined with "Contests in Combat" that exist within the framework of 5e. It's very good. And it rewards strength by a wide margin finally giving Strength Characters things to do in combat against weaker foes. It also allows martial characters to interact with creatures who have stuff that's anti-attack like displacement with no penalty which I like.

If they don't replace those abilities in 6e ill prolly avoid it like I avoid Pathfinder unless I am playing a caster.

Necrosnoop110
2022-10-03, 08:34 AM
Thinking out loud: So when I look back at the transition from 3E to 4E there was a lot of balking and splintering (Pathfinder) and it seems like the main issue was that there was too much difference between 3E and 4E.

I suspect we will also have a transition issues from 5E to "6E aka 1DD" but this time because of too little difference and edition obfuscation/confusion.

As to my plans ... I'm mostly on a wait and see pattern. I really do enjoy 5E. I think it is a smart blend of 2E and 3E. It's not perfect because no system ever will be but it works really well at my gaming table. I prefer clear lines between "editions" but will be willing to see how they work things out.

Amnestic
2022-10-03, 08:40 AM
So far nothing about 5.5e/1DD/whatever seems particularly enthralling, but neither is it egregiously offensive. Some changes I like, some I could do without, but overall it's a big 'eh'. They've got years to impress me yet I suppose but this initial stuff hasn't sold me on it being worth the effort to read+remember it over 5e's current form.

KorvinStarmast
2022-10-03, 08:48 AM
Personally I can't wait for there to be a whole new shiny forum devoted to 6e, that way I don't have to see the posts about it anymore. I have suggested before that this forum should stop having the 'next' word in it.

5e definitely hit a real sweet spot for me
Likewise.

I mean, to be fair, we're only get drip fed details so far, so we don't even know for sure what it will look like yet. And it won't officially be published for another few years.
Good.

Which is funny, since I've played 5e mostly stock as far as rules go. I've homebrewed lots of content, but the framework is basically untouched. Please keep it that way; the basic game engine is pretty decent, it only needs a buff here and there around the edges. (Exhaustion mechanic, I'm looking at you! :smallfurious: )

What 6e? There's One D&D Playtest for the upcoming 2024 update, but it's still 5e. :smallcool: Just as 3.5 was still 3rd I think.

I’m probably not going to switch. As others have pointed out, I’m happy to pillage the new stuff for ideas but I’m not keen on learning a whole new ruleset just because. Concur. When I DM I like to have a bit of systems mastery, and this edition has taken a while for me to figure that out.
For store games, I'll go with the prevailing wind Yeah, if I ever get to public game again. My wife is against it.

I'm certainly not signing up for a subscription service that will end up costing me more than I've already spent on physical copies. Well said! That which is electronic is ephemeral.
Nothing in the past couple of years has given me any reason to believe that the current developers are anything remotely resembling competent. Until and unless that changes, I'm not bothering with any new content they create. Tending to feel that way, but we have a year and half to go with the play test so I'm not going to give up.

The publishers are fighting an uphill battle against the internet also. We own some books but honestly google gets me my answers quicker. I may give them $40 a year via Paetron but I'm just tired of buying books. My wife hates my stack of book, so I keep them in a cabinet the laundry room, where she doesn't have to look at them.

I'm not a frequent 5E player and was recently considering giving it another shot Go for it! They have another year and a half before the next mutation occurs.

Damon_Tor
2022-10-03, 09:03 AM

As a rule of thumb I'll define terms thusly:

If all or almost all of the old products published are cross compatible and reasonably well balanced with the new publication without alteration, there is no edition change
If all or almost all of the old products can be converted to compatibility with the new publication with an official conversion system, that constitutes a ".5" edition
If a majority of old content is not usable with the new publication, that's a whole new edition

As such, D&D one is as it stands solidly "5.5". You can't use all the old published spells without first assigning them to the "arcane, divine and primal" spell lists. You can't use the old subclasses without changing their feature levels to match the new system. New backgrounds aren't balanced against old backgrounds unless you add feats to the old ones.

Of course WotC can call it whatever they want for marketing purposes.

animorte
2022-10-03, 09:11 AM
Agreed with basically everything before this.

Of course WotC can call it whatever they want for marketing purposes.

Boom, you nailed it. They’ll do whatever they can/want to bring in more viewership and sales. That’s their job, the marketing team.

Psyren
2022-10-03, 10:18 AM

Be careful what you wish for, some of the 4e folks similarly couldn't wait for DnDNext/5e to get its own forum. 4e certainly has its own dedicated area now.

I honestly don't trust them anymore and feel that 5e was the last unpolluted edition we will see.

If you truly want positivity as you claim, a good place to start might not be implying that the new thing that isn't even close to being out yet is "polluted" :smalltongue:

My wife hates my stack of book, so I keep them in a cabinet the laundry room, where she doesn't have to look at them.

I definitely don't want to go back to "stack of books!"

Sigreid
2022-10-03, 12:23 PM
Be careful what you wish for, some of the 4e folks similarly couldn't wait for DnDNext/5e to get its own forum. 4e certainly has its own dedicated area now.

If you truly want positivity as you claim, a good place to start might not be implying that the new thing that isn't even close to being out yet is "polluted" :smalltongue:

I definitely don't want to go back to "stack of books!"

We've seen enough of the current team's priorities and work over the past few years for there to be plenty of cause for optimism or cynicism, depending how you feel about it.

PhoenixPhyre
2022-10-03, 12:55 PM
We've seen enough of the current team's priorities and work over the past few years for there to be plenty of cause for optimism or cynicism, depending how you feel about it.

Yeah. And nothing in the UAs make me think anything has changed about all the stuff I don't like. And in fact, it's reinforced my lack of trust in their vision (both existence and details of said vision) and their ability to implement that vision in any way I will enjoy.

At this point, the breakdown of changes across both UAs for me personally goes like

Positive changes: 0
Neutral changes: 0
Unsure changes: Bunches, but the only ones I have any hope for are the grappling changes.
Negative changes: Basically all of the rest.

Psyren
2022-10-03, 01:00 PM

Sure, but "the new thing is trash, btw good vibes only please!" is more than a bit disingenuous. Certainly I don't see anyone in the 1DD threads demanding only positivity and no critique.

Kurt Kurageous
2022-10-03, 01:01 PM
I rarely reply to the third page of a thread. It seems pointless. But the open opinion-based 99% fact-free premise of the question is too good to pass up. Besides, my beloved companion dog (only 9 yrs old) died quietly next to me on the couch Saturday, and I need to do things to keep moving forward. That's the source of the bitter taste of this post.

I've written before the TCoE was the beginning of the end. And so it was. I don't understand WotC's process for making newer and more rules at all. A workable reasonable process might be:

Is something broken? What is broken? Is something unclear? Should it be clarified by rule or left to the DM to adjudicate? Will a rule change fix it?

Does the new rule add simplicity (a core principal of 5e vs 3e) or more complexity? Who will bear most of the burden of the new complexity, the player or the DM?

But we don't have that, do we? As I read new rules I ask, "Why?"

So, no, I don't think I will move much past 5e, I don't think I will run out of players, and it's unlikely I will buy more 5e books. Monsters of Multiverse and MToF before it are basically reprints of work I already had. And Fizbans? I got as a gift because I wouldn't use my own money. So far its worth everything I paid for it.

5e had every chance to make moves to make things easier for the DM. They didn't. Why would I expect a "new" D&D to be any smarter or self-aware?

KorvinStarmast
2022-10-03, 02:21 PM
I rarely reply to the third page of a thread. It seems pointless. But the open opinion-based 99% fact-free premise of the question is too good to pass up. Besides, my beloved companion dog (only 9 yrs old) died quietly next to me on the couch Saturday, and I need to do things to keep moving forward. That's the source of the bitter taste of this post. We had to put our 12 year 11 month old dog to sleep Friday afternoon. I feel your pain, brother. :smallfrown:

Does the new rule add simplicity (a core principal of 5e vs 3e) or more complexity? Who will bear most of the burden of the new complexity, the player or the DM?
But we don't have that, do we? As I read new rules I ask, "Why?" I can't recall any publisher, TSR or WoTC, ever framing it that way.

I don't think I will run out of players, and it's unlikely I will buy more 5e books.
The Curse of Strahd campaign can continue. :smallsmile:
And Fizbans? I got as a gift because I wouldn't use my own money. So far its worth everything I paid for it. It was worth more than that to me. I liked the upgrade to Dragonborn PC. I liked a few of the feats and magic items. I like the gem dragons as an occasional add on, but it's not a hard requirement. I liked the Draconian monsters.

5e had every chance to make moves to make things easier for the DM. They didn't. Why would I expect a "new" D&D to be any smarter or self-aware? You can't, and for all that the DM's status was restored in 5e, rulings over rules, your point that DM overhead is increased is agreed.

PhoenixPhyre
2022-10-03, 02:28 PM
We had to put our 12 year 11 month old dog to sleep Friday afternoon. I feel your pain, brother. :smallfrown:

:smalleek: That...sucks. Sorry to hear that man.

elyktsorb
2022-10-03, 10:01 PM
I suspect we will also have a transition issues from 5E to "6E aka 1DD" but this time because of too little difference and edition obfuscation/confusion.

See, I would put my money on this, especially with 5e having a bigger audience with people who really enjoy it for how streamlined it is.

1DD is changing things 'just' enough so that people who are used to 5e are going to be constantly tripping up on remembering what is 5e, and what is 1DD.

Additionally, since the current sort of feeling is that 1DD is supposed to be similar to 5e, why not just stick with 5e?

In a lot of ways, I'm reminded of when Nintendo made the WiiU.

Witty Username
2022-10-03, 10:08 PM
3e to 3.5 to Pathfinder all seemed to do fairly small jumps in terms of system feel, and 3.5 and Pathfinder did pretty well for themselves.

I don't see why the jump from 5e to 5.5e(from the current shape its taking) would be a bad jump.

It is very early to tell one way or another at this point.

follacchioso
2022-10-04, 07:06 AM
I'm definitely going to play the new edition, as soon as it comes out. As a matter of fact, I am already playtesting the UA on some Discord Play-by-Post servers.

I like changes and I am curious about game design. I am interested in seeing how this new version develops, and in participating to the feedback sessions, even if I don't get anything back in return.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Kurageous View Post
I rarely reply to the third page of a thread. It seems pointless. But the open opinion-based 99% fact-free premise of the question is too good to pass up. Besides, my beloved companion dog (only 9 yrs old) died quietly next to me on the couch Saturday, and I need to do things to keep moving forward. That's the source of the bitter taste of this post.
We had to put our 12 year 11 month old dog to sleep Friday afternoon. I feel your pain, brother. Sorry to hear that, that must be hard.

Shadurak
2022-10-04, 08:18 AM
Honestly? 5e was useful for introducing new people to the group. Our current regulars are split half and half between 5e initiates and 3.5 veterans. We've recently started talking about taking the old edition for a spin to see how it goes, 1DnD isn't even an option on the table.

Psyren
2022-10-04, 10:21 AM
3e to 3.5 to Pathfinder all seemed to do fairly small jumps in terms of system feel, and 3.5 and Pathfinder did pretty well for themselves.

I don't see why the jump from 5e to 5.5e(from the current shape its taking) would be a bad jump.

It is very early to tell one way or another at this point.

Yeah, I don't get the doomsaying. Pathfinder was full of fiddly changes from 3.5, and it still ate 3.5's lunch after a while. There's something to be said for the edition that's actually making books, being promoted at conventions etc. And that's before factoring in DDB's potential to be a killer app.

I'm definitely going to play the new edition, as soon as it comes out. As a matter of fact, I am already playtesting the UA on some Discord Play-by-Post servers.

I like changes and I am curious about game design. I am interested in seeing how this new version develops, and in participating to the feedback sessions, even if I don't get anything back in return.

My FLGS has a near-anything-goes game night, I'm going to talk them into letting me run either the UA Bard or Ranger. (Rogue needs too much work imo.)

animorte
2022-10-04, 11:18 AM
My FLGS has a near-anything-goes game night, I'm going to talk them into letting me run either the UA Bard or Ranger. (Rogue needs too much work imo.)

I fully expect you’ll be reporting back to us. I’ve only really done play test with my brother and wife, we rotate DMs. Any other players aren’t particularly adventurous.

Psyren
2022-10-04, 12:06 PM
I fully expect you’ll be reporting back to us. I’ve only really done play test with my brother and wife, we rotate DMs. Any other players aren’t particularly adventurous.

If I'm successful I'll let you know. Two weeks ago the resounding reply from folks was "wait, there's a playtest?"

The reaction to the Ardling was largely positive however. I didn't even get to mention the mechanical features, their eyes lit up at "can look like any anthropomorph" and "egyptian mythology theme."

gaxmarland
2022-10-04, 03:18 PM
Yeah, my group of 7 is having a lot of fun with 5e and we have only been playing for a few years now, so we still have a lot of fun in store for us. We also already own tons of quality 3rd party products along with many dollars worth of Roll20 products, so we have no incentive to switch to 6e. We might poach a particular rule but we're definitely not looking to switch for many years.

MaryPoppinsYall
2022-10-10, 10:07 PM
I won't switch that quickly. I just got really "good" at DMing this 5e thing. I only started 3 years ago so I think i'll just keep going with 5th for another campaign or two.