PDA

View Full Version : One DnD: the Perform Action

BerzerkerUnit
2022-09-30, 09:14 PM
I feel like I might be having a Galaxy Brain moment here, pls follow along.

Note: I am not a fan of the direction they've gone with Bardic Inspiration, so here's my fix-

Rules Glossary-
The Perform Action. You use your action to initiate or continue a performance such as singing, dancing, or telling a joke or tale. You make one Perform or Tool Use check at the end of the performance when relevant. Most performances will last much longer than 6 seconds but at a minimum they will last from the moment you begin until the beginning of your next turn unless you are incapacitated, or die.
The Distract Action. You use your action to be a deliberate nuisance to a creature attempting another task or action. The creature automatically suffers disadvantage on any relevant attack roll or ability check. If no check is necessary and the DM deems it appropriate, you can make an opposed ability or skill check against the target and on a success, they fail.

Bard Spellcasting addendum
Bards are adept at weaving their magic and performances together seamlessly. This practiced art allows them to use their Bonus Action to take the Perform Action. Further, while continuing a performance, a bard can substitute elements of that performance for the verbal and somatic components of their spells.

Bardic Inspiration Addendum
Whenever the Bard takes the Perform Action or Bonus Action, they can grant a bardic inspiration die to a creature they can mutually see or hear. The creature can retain this bardic inspiration for up to 10 minutes. At any point during that time they can spend it improve the results of a d20 test or add it to the amount of hit points restored by any effect that restores hit points.
Alternatively, while performing, whenever a creature the Bard can mutually see or hear fails a d20 test, the Bard can use their reaction to roll a bardic inspiration die and add it to their result, potentially turning a failure into a success.

Stalwart Performance
Beginning at 7th level, while performing, the Bard can use their reaction to attempt to counter an effect that inflicts the frightened or charmed condition. Make a Performance or Instrument check against the DC of the effect.
Alternatively, they can ruin another's performance. Ruining another Bard's performance makes it impossible for them to blend their spells into their performance allowing them to be countered normally. Make an opposed performance or Instrument check against the other performer. On a success the opposing performance is spoiled.

Is that good?

You get "free" subtle spell while you make a huge spectacle of yourself? You will be a target on the battlefield since targeting drummers, standardbearers and the like were a way to break morale.

I can't help but feel codifying the action and how it interacts with bard spells clearly defines the class as something of significant value. Like just this combination alone justifies waiting until you can find a bard to take with you...

I figure by 7th level the DM will absolutely have caught onto your schtick and be throwing the occasional enemy bard in to buff enemies and heal in a way you can't counter without "wasting actions" to distract them.

BerzerkerUnit
2022-10-02, 01:59 PM
No comments on “free” subtle casting?