PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Dragon Rider Subclass

MutantDragon
2022-10-01, 12:24 AM
So, after internalizing how much I loved the Drakewarden subclass in Fizban's, I realized I was disappointed that it didn't allow actual dragon riders until 15th level. Most campaigns never go that high, so anyone looking to ride their dragon through the clouds still can't. Plus, ranger isn't the best class to simulate a certain archetype of dragon rider, that of a knight in shining armor mounted atop a powerful dragon, anyway. Sooooooo...I made this fighter subclass. any thoughts or balance suggestions would be appreciated.

Dragon Rider

Draconic Speech
When you take this subclass at 3rd level, you gain proficiency in Draconic, or, if you are already proficient in Draconic, you learn another language of your choice.

Draconic Companion
Also at 3rd level, you gain the service of a dragon-like creature known as a drake. Its alignment matches yours and it serves you loyally. In combat, your drake shares your initiative count but takes its turn immediately after yours. It can move or use its reaction on its own, but the only action it will take on its turn is the dodge action, unless you use a bonus action to command it to take some other action. Additionally, your bond allows you to ride it if you are medium or smaller. Finally, if your drake dies, you can ritually resurrect your drake at full capabilities upon completing your next long rest. It has statistics as follows (PB stands for proficiency bonus):
Drake Companion
Medium dragon, -
Armor Class 14 + PB (natural armor)
Hit Points 6 + six times your fighter level (the drake has a number of Hit Dice [d10s] equal to your fighter level)
Speed 40 ft., Fly 60 ft.
STR: 16 (+3) DEX: 12 (+1) CON: 16 (+3) INT: 8 (-1) WIS: 14 (+2) CHA: 8 (-1)
Saving Throws Dex +1 plus PB, Wis +2 plus PB
Damage Resistances Chosen by you when you first get the drake from the following list: fire, lightning, acid, poison, cold
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 12
Languages Draconic
Challenge - Proficiency Bonus equals your bonus
ACTIONS
Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +3 plus PB to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1d6 +3 plus PB piercing damage.

Draconic Might
Starting at 7th level, your drake grows in size to become large. Additionally, when you command your drake to attack, your drake can exhale destructive energy in a 30 ft. cone forcing creatures within that area to make a (DC 8 + 3 + your proficiency bonus) Dexterity saving throw. A creature takes 3d10 damage of the same type as your drake’s resistance on a failed save, or half as much damage on a success. Your drake can do this a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus and regains all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

Greater Draconic Might
Starting at 10th level, your drake’s bite attack deals an extra 1d6 points of piercing damage.

Ultimate Draconic Might
Starting at 18th level, your drake’s damage resistance instead becomes an immunity. Additoinally, it’s flying speed increases to 80 ft and its breath weapon damage increases to 4d10.

PallyBass
2022-10-01, 09:29 AM
You could modify Drakewarden to gain mounted flight sooner. I think around level 13 should be fine, based on Paladins getting access to Find Greater Steed at the same level. But if you want it to be available even sooner as DM you are free to tweak the class as you see fit. Just be aware that at-will flight is stronger at lower levels in open areas.

I think the fighter subclass is ok at a glance, not too strong and not too weak. IMO it's good to play test your homebrew and be open to tweaking it based on your experiences if you find out it's super busted or sucks. I can think of examples for either case: flying above the a goblin camp out of range of their weapons and peppering them relentlessly until they all runaway/die. Allowing the fighter to solo the whole "dungeon" (obviously could not occur in cramped spaces). Or convesly the same fighter has their drake pet get killed early/easily and the fighter struggles to keep the pet alive with the single rez per long rest. He may end up running a long dungeon with just base fighter kit feeling very sad.

NaughtyTiger
2022-10-01, 05:59 PM
So you looked at Drakewarden and just buffed everything?

6hp per level
at will flight at level 3
resistance at level 3

Emongnome777
2022-10-01, 08:45 PM
Look up the third party book called Legendary Dragons. Has a dragon rider class in it. I have one in my ToD campaign. Can ride the dragon companion at 3rd on the ground I believe and can ride in flight at 6th. Solid class so far and we just hit 6th level.

MutantDragon
2022-10-02, 03:01 PM
So you looked at Drakewarden and just buffed everything?

6hp per level
at will flight at level 3
resistance at level 3

Buffed everything? Not at all. The drakewarden's drake, for instance, has immunity at 3rd level, the ability to add a d6 to any ally's damage, can change the immunity and damage every time it's summoned, etc. I nerfed quite a lot of abilities in order to fit the afore mentioned buffs in. Granted, there are some pretty strong additions I made, but overall I'd say it balances out to a wash. Flight, in my opinion, is often overrated. Sure, it can be used to cheese some things, but it can be fairly easily countered in any encounter the DM sets up without straining the suspension of disbelief. If a variation of it can be given to certain races at first level, I see no reason why a subclass's main feature cannot grant something of similar power at 3rd level. Especially when you consider how resistances are granted to a variety of races and subclasses despite being a strictly better way of gaining the benefits of a 3rd level spell, protection from elements, which is the same level as fly, which has the exact same drawbacks as protection from elements. Granted, I could be missing something, but to say I just took the drakewarden and "just buffed everything" is a far cry from accuracy.

MutantDragon
2022-10-02, 03:02 PM
Look up the third party book called Legendary Dragons. Has a dragon rider class in it. I have one in my ToD campaign. Can ride the dragon companion at 3rd on the ground I believe and can ride in flight at 6th. Solid class so far and we just hit 6th level.

Interesting. I'll have to look into that. Thanks!