PDA

View Full Version : Help realizing this character concept.

Dr.Samurai
2022-10-01, 11:54 AM
I have a concept for an Eberron character and I don't really know how I would build it were I to apply to a game. And I think that's mostly due to the fact that I really enjoy playing non-casters, and I suspect the best or only way to see this character in game would be with some amount of spellcasting, which I'm not overly familiar with.

So I come to the board to ask for advice on how I could get some of these features onto a character.

The concept is a Karrnathi noble (human son of a warlord) who is born at a time and place very close to Shavarath the Battleground (plane of war, conflict, etc.). So he is influenced by the plane and I see that manifesting in being a very good warrior, having some sort of Rage mechanic, or ability to withstand compulsions like Fear/Charm, and then having some summonables.

I think the simpler things that may be easier to capture are:

1. Competent in melee combat
2. Good vs Fear/Charm effects

For the summonables, this character was partly inspired by Kuchiki Byakuya from Bleach, and his Shikai/Bankai ability. The idea is that this character has been bonded with spirits from Shavarath since birth, and as he has grown older and studied his power he can summon them. So one would be the Whirling Blades that fly through Shavarath's skies. I'm not sure how to replicate something like this in game. Realistically it can probably be as simple as a ranged piercing or slashing attack, but not sure what might do the trick (AoE would be a plus, but not necessary).

The other thing is the theme of conflict. I see this character being pulled by the conflict in his soul, and there being an actual devil and angel on his shoulders, so to speak. So an Erinyes and a Valkyrie, representing two of the sides of conflict in Shavarath and trying to pull his soul in a different direction. At some point, they can manifest. Is there a way to summon a fiend or angel that I could describe as one of these?

I guess when spelling it out, it doesn't seem like much, but it's not my area of expertise. He needs to be good in melee combat, have mental resistance, some sort of ranged attack (in Bleach, this ability is pretty versatile and used for attack and defense, as it's a giant cloud of blades that Byakuya controls mentally, but I don't expect that level of ability), and the ability to summon a fiend or angel at some point.

I tried this out very briefly for a game that died a few sessions after it started. I went with Hexblade Warlock. The issue there is that I really think this would be a strength-based character. Ideally, that's what I would want. In that game, I got into a bar brawl and had pathetic stats for attacking unarmed. DM gave me Inspiration for going forward with it despite the fact that mechanically I was destined to lose lol.

So, those are sort of the parameters. Not sure if it's possible, but curious if anyone has any thoughts. Thanks!

Frogreaver
2022-10-01, 12:12 PM
I have a concept for an Eberron character and I don't really know how I would build it were I to apply to a game. And I think that's mostly due to the fact that I really enjoy playing non-casters, and I suspect the best or only way to see this character in game would be with some amount of spellcasting, which I'm not overly familiar with.

So I come to the board to ask for advice on how I could get some of these features onto a character.

The concept is a Karrnathi noble (human son of a warlord) who is born at a time and place very close to Shavarath the Battleground (plane of war, conflict, etc.). So he is influenced by the plane and I see that manifesting in being a very good warrior, having some sort of Rage mechanic, or ability to withstand compulsions like Fear/Charm, and then having some summonables.

I think the simpler things that may be easier to capture are:

1. Competent in melee combat
2. Good vs Fear/Charm effects

For the summonables, this character was partly inspired by Kuchiki Byakuya from Bleach, and his Shikai/Bankai ability. The idea is that this character has been bonded with spirits from Shavarath since birth, and as he has grown older and studied his power he can summon them. So one would be the Whirling Blades that fly through Shavarath's skies. I'm not sure how to replicate something like this in game. Realistically it can probably be as simple as a ranged piercing or slashing attack, but not sure what might do the trick (AoE would be a plus, but not necessary).

The other thing is the theme of conflict. I see this character being pulled by the conflict in his soul, and there being an actual devil and angel on his shoulders, so to speak. So an Erinyes and a Valkyrie, representing two of the sides of conflict in Shavarath and trying to pull his soul in a different direction. At some point, they can manifest. Is there a way to summon a fiend or angel that I could describe as one of these?

I guess when spelling it out, it doesn't seem like much, but it's not my area of expertise. He needs to be good in melee combat, have mental resistance, some sort of ranged attack (in Bleach, this ability is pretty versatile and used for attack and defense, as it's a giant cloud of blades that Byakuya controls mentally, but I don't expect that level of ability), and the ability to summon a fiend or angel at some point.

I tried this out very briefly for a game that died a few sessions after it started. I went with Hexblade Warlock. The issue there is that I really think this would be a strength-based character. Ideally, that's what I would want. In that game, I got into a bar brawl and had pathetic stats for attacking unarmed. DM gave me Inspiration for going forward with it despite the fact that mechanically I was destined to lose lol.

So, those are sort of the parameters. Not sure if it's possible, but curious if anyone has any thoughts. Thanks!

Honestly a cleric or cleric multiclass might work best. You can split str and wis and be competent but not great at melee attacks (spiritual weapon and spirit guardians will further shore up your damage). Your higher wisdom and wisdom saves will make you strong vs fear and charm. Damage cantrips could be flavored as those spirits manifesting (if you are into reflavoring). Spirit Guardians is a perfect fit for those spirits. Also spells like guiding bolt and inflict wounds sound right for this character. There's alot of flavor in the subclasses - while it's not a particularly good subclass the War Cleric would help provide more melee focus. Level 5 spells you can Summon Celestial and there's also a few other summon spells that might fit really well.

I'd consider taking magic initiate, booming blade + find familiar could be really good for you.

Also a Paladin could work. Flavor Divine Smite as Spirits helping. Use the fighting style to grab a cantrip attack. Some Paladin Subclasses can also get spiritual weapon or spirit guardians.

Rukelnikov
2022-10-01, 12:49 PM
I've a character with a pretty similat summoner concept.

He was the one that did the passing rites for all the fallen of an order of Bahamut, and in combat would summon them to keep fighting.

I used Spiritual Weapon representing some of the legendary weapons wielded by the champions of the order, Spirit Guardians and Guardian of Faith to represent summoning the fallen.

If you kept going Cleric after that, you'd eventually get summoning spells for Celestials or Fiends.

Having permanently an imp and a low level celestial would need pact of the chain for an imp and some subclass (from another class) that gives a celestial spirit (this I think is the point you'll have to consider dropping in order to have a reasonably working build, you can just have them be voices in the character's head, instead of an actuall little demon and angel)

How to marry this with combat? I think that's easy, Paladin. Conquest seems fitting by what you describe.

War Cleric seems fitting, and it'd allow you to have some combat prowess from the start, and once you get to Spirit Guardians, you can switch to pally, when you get Divine Smite, you'll already have a good amount of slots, so you can smite a lot, and you can basically turn your Channel Divinities into smites by refreshing slots, your CD would be very decent before that, +10 to attack is almost an assured hit.

The problem is, to get the most out of Spiritual Weapon you'd need a high Wis, if you do not plan on using Spiritual Weapon much, or at all, then you can manage with a 14 Wis probably, your spirit guardians DC won't be very good, but you are still gonna be dealing damage, and slowing everything around you with your army of summons.

Would you be using 27 PB? The stat spread in order to get the 13 Wis, Cha, and have a decent Constitution (14), will make it a challenge, are you set in any one race already?

Person_Man
2022-10-01, 01:55 PM
Conquest Paladin? Str/Cha based. Once you get your Aura your saves vs everything will be sky high. Spiritual Weapon is on your spell list, which also gives you something useful to do with your Bonus Action. And you’ve got the great fear/shove prone/immobilize combo built in.

Dr.Samurai
2022-10-01, 09:18 PM
Thank you all, I will take a look at Cleric and Paladin.

I envision the character as a human, though I suppose something human-adjacent could work, though some DMs aren't partial to reflavoring race selections.

I am assuming point-buy since I would likely play this character in a PBP.

Thanks again!

Rukelnikov
2022-10-02, 09:42 PM
Thank you all, I will take a look at Cleric and Paladin.

I envision the character as a human, though I suppose something human-adjacent could work, though some DMs aren't partial to reflavoring race selections.

I am assuming point-buy since I would likely play this character in a PBP.

Thanks again!

Fortunately Vhuman is as strong as they come, so Race won't be a challenge.

I haven't seen bleach but I just saw a couple fights of Byakuya and tbh his combat style is completely magical-like, replicating that while being Str based seems really hard with 27 PB, most of his attacks can be replicated by magic, but not by the Str based combat options like GWM or PAM, closest I could see would be a Swarmkeeper Ranger with a swarm of cherry petals, and a DM that lets your weapon be part of the swarm (I'd allow it), wont replicate the flashiest of powers, but it'd allow you to go Str while retaining the swarm of petals idea.

Also, he seems to use a one handed weapon, Str based combat favors 2 handed weapons, for either PAM or GWM, I'll attempt it with a Greatsword and Plate. Getting Str Based Combat, no armor, and having magic-like attacks and defenses would require extremely high stats, Str, Dex, other unarmored stat (Wis or Con) and casting stat (Wis or Cha) and probably wont be realised before level 9 or 10 at the minimum.

On top of this we want Summons.

I think going with a Divine Soul Sorcadin/Conquest Pally could work, but stats will be scarce.

Pally1 --> Sorc5 --> Sorc12-14/Pally6-8

15(+1)
15(+1)

GWM@1, +4 Str when possible, Res(Con) when possible.

Pick the usual suspects + weapons spirit related spells, the key spell is Spirit Guardians, it mimics Byakuya aura's effects, hampering and damaging nearby foes, while allowing for the summoning spirits theme, once you have this, I think you pretty much are online already.

Spiritual Weapon while not as usful given we are Str based, is still good for the summoning and weapons theme, gives us a use for the BA, and it can come online 2 levels prior to Spirit Guardians thus helping with the theme before getting there.

After that, the summons are far, and Extra Attack + Aura of Protection are far too, choose which path to go first.

I can't help but feel like you are trying to make a not Str based character while also being Str based. My advice would be to have the build more or less in your head and when you are playing with rolls instead of PB and get some decent ones then you go for it.