PDA

View Full Version : Multisubclassing

Sandeman
2022-10-02, 07:57 AM
Has anyone here ever attempted to come up with house rules for allowing a PC to take levels of two different subclasses within the same class?
I guess one way is just to allow someone to choose which subclass "they level up in" when they level up.
Buy it might not be balanced. Many strong subclass features come on early.
Any thoughts?

Person_Man
2022-10-02, 08:39 AM
Yes. I allow non-full casters to mix and match subclass abilities with DM approval. I only disallow things that create weird rule interaction or things that stack passive bonuses that would break bounded accuracy or a reasonable DPR. It work fine, and gives players a reason to play the weaker classes without multiclassing.

animorte
2022-10-02, 11:39 AM
I was working on this exactly and posted the concept a couple months ago in homebrew. I actually have been working on finishing it. I’ll back to you in a bit.

JLandan
2022-10-02, 12:23 PM
I had a player inquire about this. After a great deal of thought, I decided to allow it using these rules.

The PC starts at level 1 of the same class again, gaining no new features unless there is feature that presents an option. The player may choose a different option of the same feature. This often result in only an additional hit die. It does advance character level and progress toward proficiency bonus increase though.

The PC must advance as two separate classes only gaining new features when different from those already acquired. There is no stacked or doubling of uses per rest or anything of the sort.

Any feature dependent on class levels only uses the class levels for the class that provided that feature. If both classes have the feature, only the single highest level is used.

All multiclass rules apply, features of the same name, spell slots, etc.

Everything is subject to DM approval.

In the case of casters this presents an abundance of cantrips; it turns out this matters very little. Some classes, like Ranger for example, have options for many features and can acquire many of the options. The cost as with all multiclassing, is loss of high end features. This kind of multiclassing can provide a great deal of variety but is costly in character levels.