PDA

View Full Version : Kobold VOP druid, how do I survive?

Kiyona
2007-11-30, 03:14 AM
Hello everyone,

As the title states, how can i survive this? Is it even possible? =)

We're starting at level five, and any tips on builds that wont get me killed at once is very appriciated. ^^^

Cuddly
2007-11-30, 03:16 AM
Pump wisdom and con. Stay in animal form. Use buffs. Get Wild Spell.

Kiyona
2007-11-30, 03:21 AM
Pump wisdom and con. Stay in animal form. Use buffs. Get Wild Spell.
Today 09:14 AM

Yeah, sounds like a good advice. =)

Wild spell is the feat wich lets you cast while wildshaped, right?

Baxbart
2007-11-30, 05:46 AM
Indeed it is.

Incidentally, read the fantastic druids handbook for some tips on spec builds and the best forms for wild shape etc.

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=465005

deadseashoals
2007-11-30, 05:47 AM
Hide behind your animal companion until you're level 6. Take Natural Spell and wild shape into a fleshraker dinosaur. At level 8, change it up to a polar bear. At level 12, take Draconic Wild Shape.

Make liberal use of Summon Nature's Ally for additional meat shields.

Always cast barkskin on yourself when you're anticipating combat, or entering a danger zone (like a dungeon). Ask the wizard to cast mage armor on you. Keep your AC high. At level 6, with barkskin and mage armor, you should have an AC of at least 27 as a fleshraker.

And get constitution. Lots of constitution. Maybe even Improved Toughness, to make up for your koboldy squishiness.

Cuddly
2007-11-30, 05:48 AM
Incidentally, that's Natural Spell, not wild spell.

There's also a Druid spell in the Spell Compendium that lets you use the Ex and Su abilities of the form you assume, or something totally broken like that. Combined with Aberration Shape, that means Will o the wisp goodness.

Skjaldbakka
2007-11-30, 06:11 AM
Vow of Poverty, and Druid, and you are questioning your survivability?

:smallconfused:

Kiyona
2007-11-30, 06:25 AM
Vow of Poverty, and Druid, and you are questioning your survivability?

Well, Im quite new to this. But I have heard tales of du codzilla. ^^

But wont me playing a squishy kobold, and taking VOP at the least even it out? I thought it would gimp me quite hard... =)

As for everyone else, thanks guys. = )
Great advice there, Im gonna have to check out the druid handbook when i get off work. (Stupid Internetfilters)

Were can i find the dinosaurs?? Never seen any in DnD =)

Skjaldbakka
2007-11-30, 06:29 AM
Generally speaking, VoP is strongest for Druids. You also have a class feature that will fight about as well as the fighter does. Plus, you have spells. In a few more levels, your cruddy kobold physicals won't matter anymore, because you can borrow animal physicals instead.

F.L.
2007-11-30, 06:36 AM
Get polymorph. Get assume supernatural ability. Get an awakened dinosaur or snake freind. Get to level 14. Win.

Kiyona
2007-11-30, 06:45 AM
Get polymorph. Get assume supernatural ability. Get an awakened dinosaur or snake freind. Get to level 14. Win.

DM banned ploymorp. otherwise a good plan =)

He also banned clerics by the way...

Skjaldbakka

Yeah, I suppose you have a point. =)
But I still think it is a bit dangerous... Especially since im not very good at the mechanics.

BTW, where can i find the vop? In what book? DM doesnt believe there is such a thing... Have to prove him wrong =)

bugsysservant
2007-11-30, 06:56 AM
Its in the book of Exalted deeds. I don't have it with me, so I don't know the page, but there's a whole section on it, so it shouldn't be too tough to find.

Illiterate Scribe
2007-11-30, 02:11 PM
BTW, where can i find the vop? In what book? DM doesnt believe there is such a thing... Have to prove him wrong =)

Someone posted the whole thing under fairly iffy 'fair use' a while back -

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2654842&postcount=316

Those are the abilities that it grants, although it may not convince your DM ...

AKA_Bait
2007-11-30, 02:20 PM
Were can i find the dinosaurs?? Never seen any in DnD =)

You can find dinosaurs here. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/dinosaur.htm)

No suggesting the druid version of Pun-pun!

Overall, the suggestion of 'hide behind your animal companion is a good one for the entire next level. After that take natural spell and never have to worry about being a Kobold again.

Also, consider looking at the other kobold stuff in Races of the Dragon for the interm. I think there is a 0 adjustment template in there that makes kobolds more playable... can't remember the name though.