PDA

View Full Version : 1 DnD: Subclass Swapping Homebrew

Arelai
2022-10-02, 04:45 PM
All subclasses will have the same level progression in 1 dnd, so if you want more variation in your game you could allow players to choose from all available subclass features for their class at each subclass level to make something really unique.

“BuT tHeN tHe PlAyErS wILL hAvE tOo mUcH pOwEr!” - yeah, but there’s easy fixes to that. Make it 2 stone golems instead of 1. Fixed.

Obviously some things wouldn’t work if they are subclass features that build off of other subclass features(if the player doesn’t have them). But there are plenty of stand alone features, and it seems like going forward a lot of subclass features will build off the base class features instead.

Obviously not an idea for everybody. But the levels you gain subclass features at being the same now really makes this more possible than before.

Oramac
2022-10-03, 01:48 PM
I agree, and actually kinda like the idea. However, we have to wait a bit because this part...

All subclasses will have the same level progression in 1 dnd

is not totally confirmed. We know (as of the time I type this) that the Expert Group all get their subclass features at the same level (3/6/10/14). However, we do not know what levels the other three class groups (Mage, Priest, Warrior) will get their subclass features. I think it's probable that it'll be the same, but it's far from guaranteed at this point.

animorte
2022-10-03, 02:28 PM
I need to update my homebrew concept on this matter. Then I will give you the link to it.

For the example, it was choosing the first level features from one Warlock subclass, then choosing the 6th level features from a different Warlock subclass, then 10th level features from a different subclass. All of this provided you have the prerequisite for that feature (i.e. you can’t get the upgrade to Hexblade’s Curse if you didn’t have it in the first place).

Most people responding felt like it should instead be treated as a multi-class, where you could choose a different subclass’ earliest feature instead of the level 6/10/capstone/what-have-you. That kind of killed the mood for me, but I’m actually with both, though they should probably remain separate.

I was working on a spreadsheet for it as well, but it’s likely better just built directly into the table on here.