PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Dragon Race and Class

MutantDragon
2022-10-02, 05:45 PM
Howdy, folks. I've been doing some tinkering over the last few days and I have done two things.
1. I made a "Lesser Dragon" race.
2. I made a Dragon class specifically for that race.

The end result? Basically, you can play a dragon without becoming hopelessly overpowered and you get a lore excuse as to why you don't overshadow the rest of the party. I ran some numbers and I'm pretty sure this is balanced as is, but I would love to hear your feedback. Any advice you can offer, subclass suggestions, or balance issues I may have overlooked would be welcome. With that said, here's the stuff.

Lesser Dragon
Most chromatic dragons rule over vast territories, looking down upon all other life. Many metallic dragons protect equally large areas from evil, seeming like benevolent gods given mortal form. No matter what, a dragon is powerful. Yet, some burn with less might than their kin. Millennia ago, dragons from each of the ten species of true dragons degenerated into a weaker form. Nobody knows if this was a divine curse, the result of a plague or mighty spell, or simply a genetic fluke. In any case, they were cast out from dragon society and now their descendants wander the world, seeking to find their places in it.

Lesser Dragon Traits

Ability Score Increase
Your Strength score increases by 2 and your Charisma score increases by 1.

Lesser dragons age faster than their mightier kin but slower than humans. A lesser dragon reaches adulthood by age 30 and can live to be about 700 years old.

Alignment
Lesser dragons range from Lawful Good to Chaotic Evil and everything in between. Neutral alignments are rare and lesser dragons of metallic ancestry are likely to be good while chromatic ones are often evil.

Size
A lesser dragon has about a ten-foot body length, a tail of the same length, and a 40-foot wingspan. A lesser dragon also weighs about 2,000 pounds. Your size is Large.

Speed
You have a walking speed of 30ft. and a flying speed of 60ft. You cannot fly in areas that cannot accommodate your full wingspan.

Draconic Nature
Your creature type counts as dragon, and you cannot use normal weapons or armor. Any other gear or equipment is subject to your DM’s judgement. Additionally, you have disadvantage on all ability checks relating to the use of tools and you cannot gain proficiency in tools. If you would normally gain a tool proficiency, you instead gain proficiency with a language of your choice. Finally, you have disadvantage on any ability check that requires fine manual dexterity.

Natural Armor
Your scales grant you an armor class of 14 + your Constitution modifier.

Natural Weapons
You can attack with your natural weapons, dealing 1d10 + your Strength modifier points of piercing, slashing, or bludgeoning damage, depending on if you bite with your jaws, slash with your claws, or whack with your tail, instead of the damage normal for an unarmed strike.

Darkvision
You can see in dim light within 60ft. of you as if it were bright light and in darkness as if it were dim light.

Dragon Species
You have a dragon species. Choose one type from the Dragon Species table. Your breath weapon and damage resistance are determined by the dragon type, as shown in the table.

Dragon Species
Dragon Damage Type Breath Weapon
Black Acid 5 by 30 ft. line (Dex. save)
Blue Lightning 5 by 30 ft. line (Dex. save)
Brass Fire 5 by 30 ft. line (Dex. save)
Bronze Lightning 5 by 30 ft. line (Dex. save)
Copper Acid 5 by 30 ft. line (Dex. save)
Gold Fire 15 ft. cone (Dex. save)
Green Poison 15 ft. cone (Con. save)
Red Fire 15 ft. cone (Dex. save)
Silver Cold 15 ft. cone (Con. save)
White Cold 15 ft. cone (Con. save)

Breath Weapon
When you take the Attack action on your turn, you can replace one of your attacks with an exhalation of magical energy over an area determined by your species, as shown on the table above. Each creature in that area must make a saving throw as determined by your species (DC = 8 + your Constitution modifier + your proficiency bonus). On a failed save, the creature takes 1d10 damage of the type associated with your species. On a successful save, the creature takes half as much damage. This damage increases by 1d10 when you reach 5th level (2d10), 11th level (3d10), and 17th level (4d10). You can use your breath weapon a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

Damage Resistance
You are resistant to the damage type associated with your dragon species.

Languages
You can speak, read, and write Common and Draconic.

Dragon Class

Restricted: This class can only be taken by lesser dragons

Hit Dice: 1d10 per dragon level
Hit Points at 1st Level: 10 + your Constitution modifier
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d10 (or 6) + your Constitution modifier per level after 1st

Proficiencies
Armor: None
Weapons: None
Tools: None
Saving Throws: Constitution, Charisma
Skills: Choose three from Arcana, Deception, History, Insight, Intimidation, Nature, Perception, Persuasion, Stealth, and Survival

Equipment
You start with a special harness designed with pouches and pockets granting storage equivalent to a backpack and 150 gold pieces.

Draconic Focus
Starting at 1st level, you gain one of the following benefits.
Draconic Defense: Your armor class increases by 1¬¬
Draconic Senses: You gain blindsight out to 10ft.
Draconic Magic: You gain two cantrips of your choice from the sorcerer spell list

Draconic Movement
Also at 1st level, you gain additional movement options related to your species. The movement options and their associated species are as follows:
Amphibious (black, green, bronze, gold): You gain a swimming speed equal to your walking speed. Additionally, you can breathe normally while underwater.
Climbing (red, silver, copper): You gain a climbing speed equal to your walking speed. Additionally, your walking speed, and therefore your climbing speed, increases by 10ft.
Burrowing (blue, brass): You gain a burrowing speed equal to your walking speed. Additionally, your walking speed, and therefore your burrowing speed, increases by 5ft.
Arctic (white): You gain a swimming speed equal to your walking speed and a climbing speed equal to your walking speed. Additionally, you gain a burrowing speed of 15ft.

Greater Darkvision
Starting at 2nd level, your darkvision increases to 120ft.

Draconic Archetype
Starting at 3rd level, you choose a Draconic Archetype to follow. Your choice gives you benefits at 3rd, 7th, 10th, 15th, and 18th levels. The archetypes are listed at the end of the class description.

Ability Score Improvement
At 4th level, you can increase one ability score of your choice by 2 or two ability scores of your choice by 1. If your DM allows feats, you can instead take one feat. You gain this feature again at 8th, 12th, 16th, and 19th levels.

Extra Attack
When you reach 5th level, you can make two attacks every time you take the attack action.

Magical Attacks
When you reach 6th level, your natural weapons count as magical for the purpose of overcoming resistance or immunity to nonmagical damage.

Greater Breath Weapon
Starting at 9th level, your breath weapon deals an extra 2d10 points of damage. Additionally, if your breath weapon is a line, its size increases to 5ft. by 60ft. If your breath weapon is a cone, its size increases to 30ft.

Frightful Presence
When you reach 11th level, as an action, you can force all creatures of your choice within 60ft. of you that can see or hear you to make a Wisdom saving throw (DC = 8 + your Charisma modifier + your proficiency bonus). On a failed save, a creature is frightened of you for 1 minute. A creature can repeat the save at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success. Once you use your frightful presence, you can’t use it again until you finish a short or long rest.

Draconic Might
When you reach 14th level, your Strength and Constitution scores both increase by 2, as do your maximums for those scores.

Elemental Destruction
When you reach 17th level, your natural weapons deal an extra 2d4 damage of the type determined by your species. Additionally, you gain immunity to the damage type associated with your species.

Ultimate Draconic Might
At 20th level, your Strength and Constitution scores, as well as your maximums for those abilities, increase by 2. Additionally, you count as one size larger for the purposes of determining your carrying capacity and how much weight you can push, drag, or lift.

Draconic Archetypes

Primal Destroyer

Rage
When you first take this archetype at 3rd level, you gain the following benefits. On your turn, you can enter a primal rage as a bonus action. While raging, you gain the following benefits:
• You have advantage on Strength check and Strength saving throws
• Your natural weapon attacks deal an extra 2 points of damage
• You gain resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage.
You are unable to cast spells or concentrate on them while raging. Your rage lasts for one minute and ends early if you are knocked unconscious or end your turn without making an attack. Once you use this ability, you can’t use it again until you finish a short or long rest.

Feral Instinct
At 7th level, you gain advantage on initiative rolls. Additionally, if you are surprised at the beginning of combat and aren’t incapacitated, you can act normally on your first turn, but only if you enter a rage before doing anything else that turn.

Brutal Critical
Starting at 10th level, you deal an extra die of damage when you score a critical hit with your natural weapons.

Fast Movement
At 15th level, all your movement speeds increase by 15ft.

Indomitable Might
At 18th level, if your total for a Strength check is less than your Strength score, you can use that score in place of the total.

Dragon Mage
Dragon Mage Spellcasting Spell Slots per Spell Level
Dragon Level Cantrips Known Spells Known 1st 2nd 3rd 4th
3rd 2 3 2 - - -
4th 2 4 3 - - -
5th 2 4 3 - - -
6th 2 4 3 - - -
7th 2 5 4 2 - -
8th 2 6 4 2 - -
9th 2 6 4 2 - -
10th 3 7 4 3 - -
11th 3 8 4 3 - -
12th 3 8 4 3 - -
13th 3 9 4 3 2 -
14th 3 10 4 3 2 -
15th 3 10 4 3 2 -
16th 3 11 4 3 3 -
17th 3 11 4 3 3 -
18th 3 11 4 3 3 -
19th 3 12 4 3 3 1
20th 3 13 4 3 3 1

Spellcasting
When you choose this archetype at 3rd level, you learn to channel your draconic power to gain the following benefits. You learn cantrips and spells, as shown on the Dragon Mage spellcasting table above, from the sorcerer spell list. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for these spells. You spell attack bonus is equal to you Charisma modifier + your proficiency bonus and your spellsave DC is equal to 8 + your Charisma modifier + your proficiency bonus.

Human Form
At 7th level, you learn to change shape into a human. You change into the same form each time you use this feature, and the form is unique to you. Your Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores, skills and other proficiencies, Hit Points and Hit Dice, and spellcasting abilities remain the same. Otherwise, you assume the statistics of a human commoner.

Eldritch Strike
Starting at 10th level, when you hit a creature with a natural weapon attack, that creature has disadvantage on the next saving throw it makes against a spell you cast before the end of your next turn.

Metamagic
When you reach 15th level, you gain 4 sorcery points and learn two metamagic options from the sorcerer class.

Draconic Casting
Starting at 18th level, when you cast a spell as an action, you can make a natural weapon attack or use your breath weapon as a bonus action.

Elemental Avatar

Reactive Power
Starting when you take this archetype at 3rd level, if a creature you can see hits you with a melee attack, you can use your reaction to deal 1d6 + your proficiency bonus points of damage to the creature of the type determined by your species.

Heightened Breath
Starting at 7th level, your breath weapon ignores damage resistances and deals extra damage equal to your proficiency bonus.

Destructive Breath
Starting at 10th level, your breath weapon deals an extra 2d10 points of damage of the type determined by your species.

Area Breath
Starting at 15th level, your breath weapon increases in size so that, if your breath weapon is a line, it becomes 5ft. by 120ft. and, if it is a cone, it becomes 60ft.

Elemental Fury
Staring at 18th level, when a creature fails its save against your breath weapon, your breath weapon inflicts an additional effect determined by the damage type:
Fire: The creature catches fire and takes 1d6 points of fire damage at the start of each of its turns for the next minute. It can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.
Poison: The creature becomes poisoned for the next minute. It can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.
Acid: The creature becomes covered in acid and takes 1d6 points of acid damage at the start of each of its turns for the next minute. It can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.
Cold: The creature is restrained for the next minute. It can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.
Lightning: The creature is paralyzed until the end of its next turn.

MutantDragon
2022-10-02, 05:50 PM
Ok, those tables did not paste over well. At all. Still, I think (hope) you guys can kind of understand what's supposed to be going on with those. The Dragon Mage spell casting table is the same as for an eldritch knight and the dragon species table should still be fairly straightforward. Also, I will preemptively acknowledge my failure to include gem dragons. I'm working on it, bear with me. I'll probably make the psychic stuff a new subclass and then just roll the species in with different damage types slapped on the same breath weapons and resistances. Probably recycle the movement stuff too.

MutantDragon
2022-10-02, 06:06 PM
Dragon
Damage Type
Breath Weapon

Black
Acid
5ft. by 30ft. line (Dex Save)

Blue
Lightning

Brass
Fire

Bronze
Lightning

Copper
Acid

Well, darn. Guess that's how you make a table. Didn't have time to finish copying everything over or to do the other table, but, hey, now I know for next time.

MutantDragon
2022-10-09, 05:31 PM
Any feedback would be appreciated.

Garfunion
2022-10-13, 08:06 AM
I think your dragon race needs to be toned down a bit. Even the one that I was creating for this thread probably needs to tone down a bit. Here’s what I have so far.

Dragon Runt

Dragon runts are born under developed causing their physical growth to be slowed or even stop at some point. Because of this many dragon runts die early on; this could be do to starvation, your siblings killing you, or even being euthanized by the very parents that brought you into this world. However you are different you’ve managed to escape your den to survive out in the wilds or you were rescued. Whatever the circumstances of your survival, your destiny is now in your hands.

Dragon Runt Traits

•Ability Score Increase. Your Strength score increases by 2, and your Charisma score increases by 1.

•Age. Dragons runts age(mature) faster than their mightier kin. A dragon runt reaches adulthood by age 15 and can live to be about 700 years old or more.

•Size. Dragon runts are no more larger than an adult wolf and with an average weight 250 pounds. Your size is Medium.

•Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.

•Small Wings. You possess a pair of underdeveloped wings granting you the following benefits while conscious or unrestrained.
—-You take no fall damage
from a fall.
—-Your jump distance is
increased by 10ft

•Draconic Sense. You have 60ft darkvision, which allows you to see in dim light within 60ft of you as if it were bright light and in darkness as if it were dim light. You also gain proficiency perception skill.

•Draconic Nature. Your creature type counts as dragon. Choose a type of dragon from the list below; this determines the damage (type) of your breath weapon, and the (type) of resistance you gain.
black(acid)
blue(lightning)
brass(fire)
bronze(lightning)
copper(acid)
gold(fire)
green(poison)
red(fire)
silver(cold)
white(cold)

•Breath Weapon. You can use your action to exhale destructive energy. It deals damage in a 10ft cone. When you use your breath weapon, all creatures in the area must make a Dexterity saving throw. The DC of this saving throw is 8 + your Constitution modifier + your proficiency bonus. A creature takes 2d6 damage on a failed save, and half as much damage on a successful one. The damage increase to 3d6 at 6th level, 4d6 at 11th, and 5d6 at 16th level. You can use this feature a number times equal to your proficiency bonus and regain any spent use upon completing a long rest.

•Natural Weapons. Your unarmed strikes dealing 1d6 + your Strength modifier points of piercing(bite), slashing(claws), or bludgeoning(tail) damage.

•Natural Armor. Your scales grant you an armor class of 14 + your Constitution modifier.
•Damage Resistance. You have resistance to the damage type associated with your dragon type.

•Quadruped. You walk and fight on all four limbs. Your land speed is halved while carrying any thing in your “hands” and have disadvantages on all attacks rolls with a weapon. While your hands are empty, you have advantage on strength ability check when pushing and pulling, as well your carrier capacity is triple.

•Languages. You can read, speak, and write Common and Draconic.

As for the class because it’s a “lesser” dragon I would simply re-skin the barbarian class to be more draconic.
Perhaps create some feats that might allow certain aspects of the race to grow more.

Yakk
2022-10-13, 10:33 AM
I'd consider dropping the race/class split entirely.

Just make one bundle rather than refactor it into two pieces. And don't even consider multiclassing as an option.

Making a "monster class" this way is a lot less work. You can have a subclass mechanism to get a "2nd class", like a caster subclass or brawler subclass.

Old Harry MTX
2022-10-13, 01:16 PM
Can I suggest you to try my Racial Class system? You can find an example of a Centaur here (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-2uBFqrUah0vSPTz9DqfNiqq6VGfoC3VwJAiUhT2BWA/edit?usp=drivesdk). Consider that you can add more levels, and put them whenever you want.

MutantDragon
2022-10-13, 05:41 PM
I think your dragon race needs to be toned down a bit. Even the one that I was creating for this thread probably needs to tone down a bit. Here’s what I have so far.

Dragon Runt

Dragon runts are born under developed causing their physical growth to be slowed or even stop at some point. Because of this many dragon runts die early on; this could be do to starvation, your siblings killing you, or even being euthanized by the very parents that brought you into this world. However you are different you’ve managed to escape your den to survive out in the wilds or you were rescued. Whatever the circumstances of your survival, your destiny is now in your hands.

Dragon Runt Traits

•Ability Score Increase. Your Strength score increases by 2, and your Charisma score increases by 1.

•Age. Dragons runts age(mature) faster than their mightier kin. A dragon runt reaches adulthood by age 15 and can live to be about 700 years old or more.

•Size. Dragon runts are no more larger than an adult wolf and with an average weight 250 pounds. Your size is Medium.

•Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.

•Small Wings. You possess a pair of underdeveloped wings granting you the following benefits while conscious or unrestrained.
—-You take no fall damage
from a fall.
—-Your jump distance is
increased by 10ft

•Draconic Sense. You have 60ft darkvision, which allows you to see in dim light within 60ft of you as if it were bright light and in darkness as if it were dim light. You also gain proficiency perception skill.

•Draconic Nature. Your creature type counts as dragon. Choose a type of dragon from the list below; this determines the damage (type) of your breath weapon, and the (type) of resistance you gain.
black(acid)
blue(lightning)
brass(fire)
bronze(lightning)
copper(acid)
gold(fire)
green(poison)
red(fire)
silver(cold)
white(cold)

•Breath Weapon. You can use your action to exhale destructive energy. It deals damage in a 10ft cone. When you use your breath weapon, all creatures in the area must make a Dexterity saving throw. The DC of this saving throw is 8 + your Constitution modifier + your proficiency bonus. A creature takes 2d6 damage on a failed save, and half as much damage on a successful one. The damage increase to 3d6 at 6th level, 4d6 at 11th, and 5d6 at 16th level. You can use this feature a number times equal to your proficiency bonus and regain any spent use upon completing a long rest.

•Natural Weapons. Your unarmed strikes dealing 1d6 + your Strength modifier points of piercing(bite), slashing(claws), or bludgeoning(tail) damage.

•Natural Armor. Your scales grant you an armor class of 14 + your Constitution modifier.
•Damage Resistance. You have resistance to the damage type associated with your dragon type.

•Quadruped. You walk and fight on all four limbs. Your land speed is halved while carrying any thing in your “hands” and have disadvantages on all attacks rolls with a weapon. While your hands are empty, you have advantage on strength ability check when pushing and pulling, as well your carrier capacity is triple.

•Languages. You can read, speak, and write Common and Draconic.

As for the class because it’s a “lesser” dragon I would simply re-skin the barbarian class to be more draconic.
Perhaps create some feats that might allow certain aspects of the race to grow more.

Let me address the barbarian point first. I have tried doing basically what you suggested, but I didn't like how the flavor turned out, so I scrapped it and headed towards a pure dragon class, which I personally like a lot better. As for the your other point, the lesser dragon race is odd in that it has some extremely powerful abilities, but also some fairly heft drawbacks. But, as a standalone race, it probably leans towards powerful, but as far as my math goes, it balances out pretty well when you take the dragon class. Which leads me to

I'd consider dropping the race/class split entirely.

Just make one bundle rather than refactor it into two pieces. And don't even consider multiclassing as an option.

Making a "monster class" this way is a lot less work. You can have a subclass mechanism to get a "2nd class", like a caster subclass or brawler subclass.

Honestly, I really should have done a better job of spelling out how I meant for race and class to be used exclusively with each other. It prevents playing a wizard with this race and being utterly overpowered or playing a rogue and being rendered almost completely useless. Splitting it up into the two parts is really just for my own bookkeeping, as I just find it easier to work with this way.

Can I suggest you to try my Racial Class system? You can find an example of a Centaur here. Consider that you can add more levels, and put them whenever you want.

I would love to check out how you handled a similar concept! Unfortunately, the document doesn't seem to be available for viewing outside of your own. In any case, I really would love to look at how you did that, as scavenging ideas from other home-brews is how I even started building this in the first place.

Old Harry MTX
2022-10-14, 12:29 AM
Uff, sorry i haven't opened the access... Try this one here (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-2uBFqrUah0vSPTz9DqfNiqq6VGfoC3VwJAiUhT2BWA/edit?usp=drivesdk)!

animorte
2022-10-14, 05:26 AM
I have some neat ideas for various directions of dragon(ish) subclasses. The Kobold: basically your Rogue. The Wyvern: essentially a Fighter/Barbarian (probably). The Ancient: probably the spell caster.