PDA

View Full Version : Native Speakers, HELP ME !

Luizeu
2007-11-30, 08:51 AM
Guys, It's a little off topic but I need your help.
As most of you are native speakers I was wondering if you could help me on some language problems.
I have to translate a text, and there are some expressions I could use.
I need them to literally different, but well known for U.S population.

An Expression for:
destroying someone's party, something like "He popped the balloons" or something. I mean something, not really a person. Do you know any expression that could fit like that?

There's an expression in Brazil that literally brings the idea of "something that went wrong with the fireworks", but its real meaning would be something like "a mess, disorganization in a specific and organized event"
*this is really important*

An act of brownnosing. I wanted something more visual, like "giving the red carpet" or something like that..

Thanks for the help!

Ranis
2007-11-30, 08:59 AM
Destroying someone's party can be known as "raining on ____'s parade." Is that what you're looking for?

Dallas-Dakota
2007-11-30, 09:18 AM
Luizeu, I know I aint a native english speaker but I think I know the thing for you!

Partycrashing! (Note, person who does so is an Partycrasher....)

Green Bean
2007-11-30, 09:20 AM
An Expression for:
destroying someone's party, something like "He popped the balloons" or something. I mean something, not really a person. Do you know any expression that could fit like that?

Buzzkill? As in "The cops showing up was a total buzzkill"?

There's an expression in Brazil that literally brings the idea of "something that went wrong with the fireworks", but its real meaning would be something like "a mess, disorganization in a specific and organized event"

Hmm. I honestly don't know.

An act of brownnosing. I wanted something more visual, like "giving the red carpet" or something like that..

Bootlicking?

Edit:

Luizeu, I know I aint a native english speaker but I think I know the thing for you!

I dunno. I think that's more for people who show up to parties uninvited. While they can wreck parties, they aren't really the same thing.

Rawhide
2007-11-30, 09:22 AM
An Expression for:
He was a "party pooper". Also could be a "killjoy" or "wet blanket".

Thanks for the help!

To brown-nose, suck up, bootlick, kowtow

TRM
2007-11-30, 09:26 AM

I wouldn't use that one, a 'partycrasher' is someone that comes to a party uninvited ("I crashed the exclusive party down the block.")

Back on topic:

Bootlicking? Does buttkissing have the same meaning?

Edit: Ninjas have rained on my parade!

Sir_Norbert
2007-11-30, 09:27 AM
We have the expression "a bull in a china shop" but I'm not sure if it's exactly what you're after.

Never heard of "partycrasher" before, but maybe it's a US term. Here in the UK an uninvited guest is a "gatecrasher".

banjo1985
2007-11-30, 09:29 AM

Rained on his parade maybe? Or the less savoury version, wee'd on his bonfire?

Rawhide
2007-11-30, 09:31 AM

"All hell broke loose"?

Need more context

Telonius
2007-11-30, 09:41 AM
We have the expression "a bull in a china shop" but I'm not sure if it's exactly what you're after.

Never heard of "partycrasher" before, but maybe it's a US term. Here in the UK an uninvited guest is a "gatecrasher".

It's the same concept. "Gatecrasher" in the US is used for people who get into events like concerts and baseball games without paying - they literally get past a gate.

"Party Pooper" would be a person who ruins a party. "He brought the party to a screeching halt," would be one way of describing it. "The mood went south," would be another ("going south" means getting worse).

EDIT: For brown-nosing... a brown-noser is someone who tries too hard to impress people. It's based on various forms of "butt-kisser" - someone who is so servile that they would bend over and kiss someone's rear end, thus getting their nose brown in the process. It's not a good thing to be. "Doormat" is a similar term for that; though that usually means someone who lets other people do whatever they want (people walk over them like a doormat) rather than actively trying to impress them.

If you're looking for a phrase without the negative connotations of brown-noser, try "He bent over backwards for ____," or "He really went the extra mile."

Skippy
2007-11-30, 10:50 AM
Spoilsport is also something like that, isn't it?

Of course, I'm not a native, so I'm really not sure.

Luizeu
2007-11-30, 11:52 AM
I'm really impressed by the number of replies. Thanks a lot.. Now I have plenty of options to choose.
But I guess that if I provide you with the context it would be easier to understand.

The first is something that can destroy someone's party.
"The food will be great and the space will be something superb, But there is one detail that can ????? ( destroy the party)

It must be something not literal, but a different expression...

"They expected this, that and those. But, a ????? "confusion happened"

And the act of brownnosing, would be more like a real action... not the name itself..

Thanks again, you are all helping a lot

Korith
2007-11-30, 12:05 PM
"The food will be great and the space will be something superb, But there is one detail that can ????? ( destroy the party)

"make it all go up in smoke", perhaps?

And the act of brownnosing, would be more like a real action... not the name itself..

Thanks again, you are all helping a lot

"Took the cake" comes to mind, though that expression can have several meanings.

Telonius
2007-11-30, 12:14 PM

that can throw a monkeywrench into the works."

Rogue 7
2007-11-30, 12:17 PM
"All hell broke loose"?

Need more context

I've always preferred "The Sh** hit the fan", myself

Supagoof
2007-11-30, 12:38 PM

but all hell broke loose.
but then s*** hit the fan.

Or, more worded but also used,

but then the excrament hit the oscilating distributer.

but something happened and all bets are off.

Here's a good site for idioms...should be very useful. (http://www.usingenglish.com/reference/idioms/cat/)

MrEdwardNigma
2007-11-30, 01:03 PM

Nah, party crashing is coming to a party without being invited, not ruining it. that would be a partypooper, but I'm not particularly fond of the word.

Since I'm not a native speaker, I doubt I can be of any further help. I do study English at university, but I'm only in my first year.

Oh, and I like "**** hit the fan" as Supagoof and Rogue 7 suggested.
Maybe "went up in a blaze", or is that too specific?

Darkforge
2007-11-30, 01:38 PM
I'm really impressed by the number of replies. Thanks a lot.. Now I have plenty of options to choose.
But I guess that if I provide you with the context it would be easier to understand.

That can "Throw a spanner in the works"

And the act of brownnosing, would be more like a real action... not the name itself.

for brownnosing, I prefer "Bootlicking" as its less crude. As for conext, you can be a bootlicker or you can bootlick.

Luizeu
2007-11-30, 03:28 PM
That's wonderful
I think I'm going to stick with the wrench in the works

I'm still looking for the others

Thanks a lot guys

Is "Raise Cain" a common expression ???

Telonius
2007-11-30, 03:41 PM
It's common, although a little bit old-fashioned. (Slightly religious or "protect the children" too; people might use "raising Cain" if they didn't want to use the phrase "raising hell.") Everybody would understand what you mean if you used it.

DrunkPrivateer
2007-11-30, 09:02 PM
This might not be what you're looking for, but another, way of saying "brown-nosing" that will make you sound really smart is to say that someone is "ingratiating himself."
Hope that helps.

DraPrime
2007-11-30, 10:11 PM
I can think of a bunch of them, and they're all swears.

Trog
2007-11-30, 11:28 PM
-Put out the good China for (use the best dishes for a guest)
-Roll out the red carpet (or get the star treatment)
-Went all out (spent a lot of money/time on something)
-being a Teacher's Pet (brown nosing a teacher)
-being a lap dog for someone

Any of those work? :smallconfused: