PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Starseeker Ranger Archetype

Oramac
2022-10-06, 09:37 AM
I made this specifically for my homebrew campaign setting and one of the players in my current campaign. Just looking for feedback on it. Since it's currently in playtesting, changes may or may not be made, but I want to see where it falls in people's thoughts and opinions. I'll add design notes in spoiler tags for context.

This is for a new homebrew world of mine. In addition to a pantheon of deities, the world has its own Zodiac, complete with constellations, signs, traits, and such. The Starseeker was written with the Zodiac in mind, and some of the features lean heavily into this.

Starseeker

Most rangers are naturally good at tracking and hunting, but you've taken this skill to a new level. To you, the night sky is a map, a guide to your foe; your quarry; your destiny. These rangers spend much of their time far from cities, where the stars in the night sky are most visible. Their knowledge of the sky bolsters their sense of direction, and their keen senses keep them on the path of their hunt.

Starseeker Magic (Bold lines added; wall of force changed to scrying)

3rd-level Starseeker feature

You learn the dancing lights cantrip if you don't already know it. When cast, the lights take the form of tiny stars. When cast, the lights take the form of tiny stars, they do not need to be within 20 ft. of each other, and when combined they resemble a medium sized star, instead of a humanoid.

You also learn an additional spell of 1st level or higher when you reach certain levels in this class, as shown in the Starseeker Spells table. Each spell counts as a ranger spell for you, but it doesn't count against the number of ranger spells you know.

Starseeker Spells

| Ranger Level | Spell |
|:---:|:-----------:|
| 3rd | detect magic, dancing lights |
| 5th | moonbeam |
| 9th | protection from energy |
| 13th | arcane eye |
| 17th | scrying |

Just taking a page from Tasha's here. The interaction with dancing lights has been changed for thematic reasons, and wall of force was removed in favor of scrying based on feedback here.

Shooting Star (A)

At 3rd level your control over the stars heightens. When you use your bonus action to move your combined dancing lights, you can cause searing radiance to lash out from it. Each creature in the path of the star must make a dexterity saving throw, taking 1d6 radiant damage on a failure. This damage increases by 1d6 when you reach 5th level (2d6), 11th level (3d6), and 17th level (4d6).

Shooting Star (B)

At 3rd level your control over the stars heightens. When you use your bonus action to move your dancing lights, you can cause one light to burn with searing radiance. Choose one creature within 60 ft. that you can see to make a dexterity saving throw, taking 1d6 radiant damage on a failure. This damage increases by 1d6 when you reach 5th level (2d6), 11th level (3d6), and 17th level (4d6). The light disappears after causing damage.

Shooting Star (C)

When you use your Bonus Action to move your Dancing Lights you can also choose to cause one to burn out with an intense shine, dealing 1d6 Radiant damage to all creatures except yourself within 10 feet of it before disappearing. Creatures that take this damage are also coated in sparkling stardust, suffering disadvantage on Dexterity (stealth) checks and cannot benefit from being Invisible until the end of your next turn. This damage increases by 1d6 when you reach 5th level (2d6), 11th level (3d6), and 17th level (4d6).

Shooting Star

You can augment your weapon strikes with the magic of the stars, drawn from the heavens above. When you hit a creature with a weapon, you can deal an extra 1d4 radiant damage to the target, which can take this extra damage only once per turn.

The extra damage increases to 1d6 when you reach 11th level in this class.

Removed the old shooting star. Created 3 new versions based on feedback. Each offers new and different interaction with dancing lights.

Stargazing

Your connection with the starry night sky is so strong you can see the night sky when others can't. You are able to view the stars, moons, and constellations normally even on cloudy days, in broad daylight, underground, indoors, or other similar locations. When viewed in this way, the night sky appears as a translucent overlay on whatever surface would normally block your view of it. From the night sky, you gain darkvision to a range of 60 feet. If you already have darkvision from your race, its range increases by 30 feet.

Additionally, as a 10 minute ritual, you may consult the stars about past, present, or future events. During the ritual, you may ask up to 5 questions about specific events in the past, present, or future, and gain brief glimpses of the events. These glimpses may be images, feelings, words, thoughts, or similar.

Once used, you must complete a long rest before using this feature again.

I left darkvision in, as it just seems weird to me that a character who spends their life outdoors at night wouldn't be able to at least somewhat see in the dark.

Also, I left the divination part intact for in-world reasons. See my spoiler above for more of the Lore.

Path of Stars

7th-level Starseeker feature

By 7th level, the stars guide your vision, and your skill navigating by the night sky is unrivaled. You cannot become lost by non-magical means, and while in dim light or darkness, you have advantage on wisdom (perception) checks.

Additionally, you learn to channel the maps of the heavens into your very being. At night, you may cast the find the path spell with this feature, without expending a spell slot or material components, but the spell ends at dawn. Once you use this feature, you can't do so again until you complete a long rest.

Scrying added to the spell list. Though if the Expert Classes UA is any indication, the subclass spell lists are going away, so scrying would be added here. This is TBD.

Again, this all feels thematically appropriate to me. I want other opinions though. I considered giving them one use of scrying as well. Still on the fence about that.

Starsight

11th-level Starseeker feature

Your connection to the stars pull you towards your destiny with supernatural feelings and visions of the immediate future. You may choose to add your wisdom modifier to your initiative rolls.

Additionally, when you would fail an attack roll, ability check, or saving throw, you may choose to roll 1d6 and add it to the total, potentially changing the outcome. You may use this feature a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and regain expended uses upon completion of a long rest.

Additionally, when you make an attack roll, ability check, or saving throw, you may add your wisdom modifier to the roll. You may use this feature a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and regain expended uses upon completion of a long rest.

I like the idea of adding dice. I hate that WOTC made most of these features Once per Rest. I think it just adds to the decision paralysis and puts players in a spot of not using it "in case they need it later". Thus I've left it as Prof per Long Rest to hopefully encourage its use more.

I wanted something here that felt like precognition. I'm not 100% sold on it as-is, so I'm open to ideas.

Supernova (A)

15th-level Starseeker feature

Upon reaching 15th level, your control over the heavens is at its peak. While your dancing lights are combined into a single star, you may use your action to cause it to explode with the power of a dying star. Each creature within 30 ft. of the dying star must make a dexterity saving throw or take 9d8 radiant damage, or half as much on a success. Additionally, creatures that fail the save are blinded until the end of their next turn. You may use this feature once, and must complete a long rest before using it again.

Supernova (B)

Upon reaching 15th level, your control over the heavens is at its peak. You may use your action to cause your dancing lights to explode with the power of a dying star. Each creature within 10 ft. of one of your lights must make a dexterity saving throw or take 3d8 radiant damage, or half as much on a success. Additionally, creatures that fail the save are blinded until the end of their next turn. A creature in the area of more than one supernova is affected only once. You may use this feature once, and must complete a long rest before using it again.

Celestial Defender

You are able to call upon the heavens for help in your time of need. You gain the summon celestial spell and it does not count against the total number of spells you may know. Once between long rests you may cast this spell without requiring material components or a spell slot. When cast in this way, the spell does not require concentration, but lasts only 1 minute. You may also cast this spell normally with any other spell slots you have of the appropriate level.

Two new possible versions of one feature. Seeking ideas. This follows the theme of building on dancing lights, and feels thematically appropriate.

Again, this feels thematically appropriate, and there is precedence for it. It is a 5th level spell a bit earlier than you'd otherwise get them, but it's 1/LR so I don't think it's too OP, personally. Again, looking for others thoughts.

And that's it! Please let me know what you think.

Kane0
2022-10-06, 04:36 PM
Looks pretty good, digging the stargazing wanderer vibe.

Level 3: All good stuff, feels about right next to other Tasha's subclasses (which are admittedly a little stronger than their PHB and Xan's counterparts but that's a different discussion)

Bonus spells: Moonbeam is *chef kiss*, though for 3rds I'd personally go with Blinding Smite or Minute Meteors and for 5ths Dream or Wall of Light if you wanted to avoid more utility in favor of a combat spell.

Level 7: I don't recall how the vision rules & darkvision interact off the top of my head, but you may want to make sure this doesn't just cancel out any disadvantage dim light/darkness might be giving you. Really like that you get potent navigation bonuses but only at night, that feels great and I don't think you need to add Scrying on top, maybe as an alternative. Better yet Contact Other Plane which has a built in way of disincentivizing spamming it every night.

Level 11: As is you're right, its not super flavorful but it is mechanically sound. If you want it to feel more divinationey you could steal Portent or a variation of it, or perhaps substitute a normal 1d20 roll for 3d6 or 2d10?

Level 15: Aw man you're totally missing a chance to use Crown of Stars. If it's too strong as is just bring down the number of stars you get and/or reduce the duration, to say 5 motes and 10 minutes or whatever ends up being a nice number.
If that's too complicated, you could get a similar feel and effect by adding some zone damage to your dancing lights.

Oramac
2022-10-07, 10:04 AM
Looks pretty good, digging the stargazing wanderer vibe.

Thank you!

Level 3: All good stuff, feels about right next to other Tasha's subclasses (which are admittedly a little stronger than their PHB and Xan's counterparts but that's a different discussion)

Yea, I leaned pretty heavily on Tasha's for my design cues.

Bonus spells: Moonbeam is *chef kiss*, though for 3rds I'd personally go with Blinding Smite or Minute Meteors and for 5ths Dream or Wall of Light if you wanted to avoid more utility in favor of a combat spell.

So the thing I noticed in Tasha's bonus spell lists: there's only one damaging spell in the whole lot of them, and it's a 5th level spell unlocked at 17th level (insect plague for Swarmkeeper). I tried to keep to that design when making the Starseeker bonus spells. I just couldn't pass up moonbeam though. It matched the flavor too well to skip. So I'm hesitant to add any other damaging spells. Using dream instead of wall of force is a solid idea. It's definitely more divination-y, but perhaps less useful. Hmm....

Level 7: I don't recall how the vision rules & darkvision interact off the top of my head, but you may want to make sure this doesn't just cancel out any disadvantage dim light/darkness might be giving you. Really like that you get potent navigation bonuses but only at night, that feels great and I don't think you need to add Scrying on top, maybe as an alternative. Better yet Contact Other Plane which has a built in way of disincentivizing spamming it every night.

That's a good point. I'll have to check the vision rules, but I think you're right. Can't really say I'm a fan of contact other plane though. I do like how it prevents spamming, but IDK. It just doesn't have the same feel that find the path does.

Level 11: As is you're right, its not super flavorful but it is mechanically sound. If you want it to feel more divinationey you could steal Portent or a variation of it, or perhaps substitute a normal 1d20 roll for 3d6 or 2d10?

I thought about just copy/pasting Portent, but that felt....lazy, I guess. This is one that I need to talk with my player about. What feels best in actual play? Because, yea, I want to avoid static bonuses, but also want it to feel like it's worth using.

Level 15: Aw man you're totally missing a chance to use Crown of Stars. If it's too strong as is just bring down the number of stars you get and/or reduce the duration, to say 5 motes and 10 minutes or whatever ends up being a nice number.
If that's too complicated, you could get a similar feel and effect by adding some zone damage to your dancing lights.

Crown of stars is awesome! It's also a 7th level spell. I was hesitant to even give summon celestial, especially since the 1DD stuff appears to be moving the subclass feature down to 14th level instead of 15th. That's 3 levels before the class even gets 5th level spells. This is another one that I'm just not sure about. I'd love to use crown of stars, but is it OP to give it at 14th level? Even if it is nerfed? I'm not sure.

MrStabby
2022-10-07, 07:19 PM
Thematically I love it. The flavour seems captured really well.

Mechanically, it isn't to my tastes. The low level abilities being so close to other subclasses gives a bit of a less unique feeling to me, a bit like other abilities just got blended together.

The unique elements are cool, but also feel like they won't get to see play many times a session... like how many times will you acually find it useful to cast dancing lights?

Between some of the strongest abilities being non combat and some other abilities being a bit on the weaker side, I feel this might fall behind other subclasses in more violent encounters.

Some thoughts, comments and what I might be tempted to do (not saying you should do what I would do!)

Starseeker

Most rangers are naturally good at tracking and hunting, but you've taken this skill to a new level. To you, the night sky is a map, a guide to your foe; your quarry; your destiny. These rangers spend much of their time far from cities, where the stars in the night sky are most visible. Their knowledge of the sky bolsters their sense of direction, and their keen senses keep them on the path of their hunt.

Shooting Star

You can augment your weapon strikes with the magic of the stars, drawn from the heavens above. When you hit a creature with a weapon, you can deal an extra 1d4 radiant damage to the target, which can take this extra damage only once per turn.

The extra damage increases to 1d6 when you reach 11th level in this class.

So this feels a bit boring to me. Solid, but just a generic bit of extra damage that you may or may not notice. I think some form of extra damage here would be good - just not convinced by a token amount with a burden of tracking what has been used each turn.

I might be tempted to add some splash damage (radiant) instead to an enemy within 5ft of the first hit. More damage (because spreading it out is less good than concentrating it, and if you limit it to a targe within 5ft it might be a bit situational). Possibly d8 and d12 at level 11 and losing the once per turn element to it. When you get to use it, you really notice it but maybe t shows up a bi less often.

Stargazing

Your connection with the starry night sky is so strong you can see the night sky when others can't. You are able to view the stars, moons, and constellations normally even on cloudy days, in broad daylight, underground, indoors, or other similar locations. When viewed in this way, the night sky appears as a translucent overlay on whatever surface would normally block your view of it. From the night sky, you gain darkvision to a range of 60 feet. If you already have darkvision from your race, its range increases by 30 feet.

Additionally, as a 10 minute ritual, you may consult the stars about past, present, or future events. During the ritual, you may ask up to 5 questions about specific events in the past, present, or future, and gain brief glimpses of the events. These glimpses may be images, feelings, words, thoughts, or similar.

I have no issues with this ability... well the divination part anyway. The darkvision is a bit gloomstalker-y.

If you wanted to flip things round you might be able to make a divinaton theme a combat element instead. Maybe something like "whenever a hostile ceature is subject to a spell you are concentrating on it becomes illuminated by starlight. It cannot become invisible and attacks you make against it are made at advantage" So a faerie fire effect - it might be a bit strong with hunters mark (though if it were to be the meat of the subclass power at 3rd level I don't see it being much beyond what gloomstalker gets).

Starseeker Magic

You learn the dancing lights cantrip if you don't already know it. When cast, the lights take the form of tiny stars.

You also learn an additional spell of 1st level or higher when you reach certain levels in this class, as shown in the Starseeker Spells table. Each spell counts as a ranger spell for you, but it doesn't count against the number of ranger spells you know.

Starseeker Spells

| Ranger Level | Spell |
|:---:|:-----------:|
| 3rd | detect magic, dancing lights |
| 5th | moonbeam |
| 9th | protection from energy |
| 13th | arcane eye |
| 17th | wall of force |

It seems fine... moonbeam seems to make thematic sense, but adding a damaging spell to a class that already uses its action for damage perfectly well, seems a bit of a waste. There will be a window where its fine, but when you get to level 7 or 8 I just see you being better off shooting most things. Generally a nice supporting set of spells though.

Wall of force seems a bit strange. I would lean towards commune or dream or even scrying there. Maybe I just don't see the connection.

Path of Stars

7th-level Starseeker feature

By 7th level, the stars guide your vision, and your skill navigating by the night sky is unrivaled. You cannot become lost by non-magical means, and while in dim light or darkness, you have advantage on wisdom (perception) checks.

Additionally, you learn to channel the maps of the heavens into your very being. At night, you may cast the find the path spell with this feature, without expending a spell slot or material components, but the spell ends at dawn. Once you use this feature, you can't do so again until you complete a long rest.

Very cool, very thematic. Its mechanically weak for combat - but that isn't a bad thing at all. It just makes space for more other powerful abilities. Even with this I might be tempted to boost it a little. Maybe proficiency with intelligence saves? They are relatively rare, so shouldn't be too powerful and will represent seeing through illusions and effects that might get the character lost.

Starsight

Your connection to the stars pull you towards your destiny with supernatural feelings and visions of the immediate future. You may choose to add your wisdom modifier to your initiative rolls.

Additionally, when you make an attack roll, ability check, or saving throw, you may add your wisdom modifier to the roll. You may use this feature a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and regain expended uses upon completion of a long rest.

I wanted something here that felt like precognition. I'm not 100% sold on it as-is, so I'm open to ideas.

If you want the precognition feel, you could switch it to being used when you fail - it has the feeling of knowing you will fail and averting it by expending a use of the ability.

This is a very cool ability but it might suffer from its flexability - if you can always know you can use it in the future will you hoard it? I would also caution that Wisdom really might not be that high. So much of the ranger package in general benefits little from wisdom and this archetype doesn't really add much. I wouldn't expect big bonusses here like you might get if you put it on a paladin (like the devotion paladin channel divinity).

Celestial Defender

You are able to call upon the heavens for help in your time of need. You gain the summon celestial spell and it does not count against the total number of spells you may know. Once between long rests you may cast this spell without requiring material components or a spell slot. When cast in this way, the spell does not require concentration, but lasts only 1 minute. You may also cast this spell normally with any other spell slots you have of the appropriate level.

Again, this feels thematically appropriate, and there is precedence for it. It is a 5th level spell a bit earlier than you'd otherwise get them, but it's 1/LR so I don't think it's too OP, personally. Again, looking for others thoughts.

And that's it! Please let me know what you think.

Powerful... useful, kind of. It doesn't really excite me getting access to a spell 6 levels after other casters could have had access to it. Also, not seeing the connection betwen stars/starlight and celestials. Your archetype capstone being once per day (though for an hour) also feels like you won't get to see it in action that much, which is a shame.

In general though, a lot of very cool ideas.

Kane0
2022-10-08, 03:33 AM
So the thing I noticed in Tasha's bonus spell lists: there's only one damaging spell in the whole lot of them, and it's a 5th level spell unlocked at 17th level (insect plague for Swarmkeeper).

Very true, likely because blasty spells don't scale well with half casters.

That's a good point. I'll have to check the vision rules, but I think you're right. Can't really say I'm a fan of contact other plane though. I do like how it prevents spamming, but IDK. It just doesn't have the same feel that find the path does.

I meant you can use either Find the Path or Contact Other Plane once during each night, so the player has a choice if they don't need to use one.

I thought about just copy/pasting Portent, but that felt....lazy, I guess. This is one that I need to talk with my player about. What feels best in actual play? Because, yea, I want to avoid static bonuses, but also want it to feel like it's worth using.

I like having an extra die in front of me to burn when needed, like Dark One's Own Luck or Favored by the Gods. But that's a personal preference.

Crown of stars is awesome! It's also a 7th level spell. I was hesitant to even give summon celestial, especially since the 1DD stuff appears to be moving the subclass feature down to 14th level instead of 15th. That's 3 levels before the class even gets 5th level spells. This is another one that I'm just not sure about. I'd love to use crown of stars, but is it OP to give it at 14th level? Even if it is nerfed? I'm not sure.

Yeah that's why I started thinking about the Dancing lights thing. Like each one becoming miniature Flaming Spheres or something along those lines so you can coat the battlefield in hazardous stars.

I might be tempted to add some splash damage (radiant) instead to an enemy within 5ft of the first hit. More damage (because spreading it out is less good than concentrating it, and if you limit it to a targe within 5ft it might be a bit situational). Possibly d8 and d12 at level 11 and losing the once per turn element to it. When you get to use it, you really notice it but maybe it shows up a bit less often.

Ooh, that's that gives me an idea!

Starseeker magic: Your Dancing Lights don't need to be within 20 feet of one other

Shooting Star: When you use your Bonus Action to move your Dancing Lights you can also choose to cause one to burn out with an intense shine, dealing 1d6 Radiant damage to all creatures except yourself within 10 feet of it before disappearing. Creatures that take this damage are also coated in sparkling stardust, suffering disadvantage on Dexterity (stealth) checks and cannot benefit from being Invisible until the end of your next turn. The damage increases to 2d6 when you reach Ranger level 11.
Edit: Given that Dancing Lights uses concentration you might want this damage to scale like other cantrips, so 2d6 at 5, 3d6 at 11 and 4d6 at 17. Might be a bit much though especially with the UA concentrationless Hunter's Mark.

15th level feature: Creatures other than yourself takes 2d8 Radiant damage when they move within 10 feet of one of your Dancing Lights for the first time or starts their turn there. In addition, when you detonate a shooting star the next attack roll made against a creature that takes damage before the end of your next turn has advantage.

Turn those shooting stars explosive! Start off as being like minute meteors with a faerie fire rider, then later upgrade with guiding bolt functionality and a passive cloud of daggers damage zone. Get tactical!

MrStabby
2022-10-08, 06:25 PM

Starseeker magic: Your Dancing Lights don't need to be within 20 feet of one other

Shooting Star: When you use your Bonus Action to move your Dancing Lights you can also choose to cause one to burn out with an intense shine, dealing 1d6 Radiant damage to all creatures except yourself within 10 feet of it before disappearing. Creatures that take this damage are also coated in sparkling stardust, suffering disadvantage on Dexterity (stealth) checks and cannot benefit from being Invisible until the end of your next turn. The damage increases to 2d6 when you reach Ranger level 11.
Edit: Given that Dancing Lights uses concentration you might want this damage to scale like other cantrips, so 2d6 at 5, 3d6 at 11 and 4d6 at 17. Might be a bit much though especially with the UA concentrationless Hunter's Mark.

15th level feature: Creatures other than yourself takes 2d8 Radiant damage when they move within 10 feet of one of your Dancing Lights for the first time or starts their turn there. In addition, when you detonate a shooting star the next attack roll made against a creature that takes damage before the end of your next turn has advantage.

Turn those shooting stars explosive! Start off as being like minute meteors with a faerie fire rider, then later upgrade with guiding bolt functionality and a passive cloud of daggers damage zone. Get tactical!

Oh, I really like that. Making dancing lights a core element of the class and tacking on a bundle of growing bonuses would be a very cool way of building the twinkle ranger. As you note, conentration will keep it in check. I think there is a lot of very cool stuff you could do with this that both compliments the ranger but also adds something new.

Kane0
2022-10-08, 07:45 PM
It also provides a welcome break from the usual use of bonus actions and concentation on hunters mark

Oramac
2022-10-11, 01:35 PM

Oh, I really like that. Making dancing lights a core element of the class and tacking on a bundle of growing bonuses would be a very cool way of building the twinkle ranger. As you note, conentration will keep it in check. I think there is a lot of very cool stuff you could do with this that both compliments the ranger but also adds something new.

It also provides a welcome break from the usual use of bonus actions and concentation on hunters mark

Wow!! Thank you both!! Sorry for the late response. I honestly didn't expect this to get much traction so I didn't check it until now.

I love the idea of using dancing lights as well. This is going to take a little time to incorporate, especially since I've got to get my player on board, but I'll keep this thread updated!

Oramac
2022-10-12, 01:11 PM
All right!! I've updated the OP with changes, and will post them here as well. Or, more accurately, proposed changes with ideas to chew on.

This is for a new homebrew world of mine. In addition to a pantheon of deities, the world has its own Zodiac, complete with constellations, signs, traits, and such. The Starseeker was written with the Zodiac in mind, and some of the features lean heavily into this.

Shooting Star (A)

At 3rd level your control over the stars heightens. When you use your bonus action to move your combined dancing lights, you can cause searing radiance to lash out from it. Each creature in the path of the star must make a dexterity saving throw, taking 1d6 radiant damage on a failure. This damage increases by 1d6 when you reach 5th level (2d6), 11th level (3d6), and 17th level (4d6).

Shooting Star (B)

At 3rd level your control over the stars heightens. When you use your bonus action to move your dancing lights, you can cause one light to burn with searing radiance. Choose one creature within 60 ft. that you can see to make a dexterity saving throw, taking 1d6 radiant damage on a failure. This damage increases by 1d6 when you reach 5th level (2d6), 11th level (3d6), and 17th level (4d6). The light disappears after causing damage.

Shooting Star (C)

When you use your Bonus Action to move your Dancing Lights you can also choose to cause one to burn out with an intense shine, dealing 1d6 Radiant damage to all creatures except yourself within 10 feet of it before disappearing. Creatures that take this damage are also coated in sparkling stardust, suffering disadvantage on Dexterity (stealth) checks and cannot benefit from being Invisible until the end of your next turn. This damage increases by 1d6 when you reach 5th level (2d6), 11th level (3d6), and 17th level (4d6).

Removed the old shooting star. Created 3 new versions based on feedback. Each offers new and different interaction with dancing lights.

Stargazing (Unchanged)

I left darkvision in, as it just seems weird to me that a character who spends their life outdoors at night wouldn't be able to at least somewhat see in the dark.

Also, I left the divination part intact for in-world reasons. See my spoiler above for more of the Lore.

You learn the dancing lights cantrip if you don't already know it. When cast, the lights take the form of tiny stars. When cast, the lights take the form of tiny stars, they do not need to be within 20 ft. of each other, and when combined they resemble a medium sized star, instead of a humanoid.

Path of Stars (Unchanged for the moment)

Scrying added to the spell list. Though if the Expert Classes UA is any indication, the subclass spell lists are going away, so scrying would be added here. This is TBD.

Again, this all feels thematically appropriate to me. I want other opinions though. I considered giving them one use of scrying as well. Still on the fence about that.

Starsight

Additionally, when you would fail an attack roll, ability check, or saving throw, you may choose to roll 1d6 and add it to the total, potentially changing the outcome. You may use this feature a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and regain expended uses upon completion of a long rest.

I like the idea of adding dice. I hate that WOTC made most of these features Once per Rest. I think it just adds to the decision paralysis and puts players in a spot of not using it "in case they need it later". Thus I've left it as Prof per Long Rest to hopefully encourage its use more.

Supernova (A)

Upon reaching 15th level, your control over the heavens is at its peak. While your dancing lights are combined into a single star, you may use your action to cause it to explode with the power of a dying star. Each creature within 30 ft. of the dying star must make a dexterity saving throw or take 9d8 radiant damage, or half as much on a success. Additionally, creatures that fail the save are blinded until the end of their next turn. You may use this feature once, and must complete a long rest before using it again.

Supernova (B)

Upon reaching 15th level, your control over the heavens is at its peak. You may use your action to cause your dancing lights to explode with the power of a dying star. Each creature within 10 ft. of one of your lights must make a dexterity saving throw or take 3d8 radiant damage, or half as much on a success. Additionally, creatures that fail the save are blinded until the end of their next turn. A creature in the area of more than one supernova is affected only once. You may use this feature once, and must complete a long rest before using it again.

Two new possible versions of one feature. Seeking ideas. This follows the theme of building on dancing lights, and feels thematically appropriate.

Kane0
2022-10-12, 07:09 PM
Shooting Star B is by far the least interesting, I'd pick A or C since they are both really evocative of the name and provide interesting tactical considerations. I'd probably also specify that you can do this when you initially cast the spell too, so like 'when you produce or move your dancing lights'

Upon further thought, if you were to give riders to the BA shooting star i'd be tempted to make it player's choice of rider like the Hunter gets to pick their benefits. For example:

(Lower level riders)
- When you detonate a Dancing Light any creature that takes damage suffers disadvantage on Stealth checks and cannot benefit from Invisibility until the end of your next turn.
- When you detonate a Dancing Light the next attack roll made against a creature that takes damage before the end of your next turn has advantage.
- When you detonate a Dancing Light you can choose to expend a spell slot to increase the damage dealt by 1d6 for each spell level higher than 1st (to a maximum of 5d6), and any creature of large size or smaller must also make a Strength saving throw against your spell DC or be knocked prone.
(higher level riders)
- You can choose to detonate any number of dancing lights when you use your Bonus Action to move them
- When you detonate a Dancing Light any creature that takes damage is also Blinded until the start of your next turn
- Creatures other than yourself and allies you designate take Xd6 Radiant damage when they move within 10 feet of one of your Dancing Lights for the first time or start their turn there
- When you detonate a Dancing Light you can choose any number of creatures within range to regain Xd6 HP instead of taking Radiant damage. This healing cannot raise any creature above half their maximum HP.

Or in the case of going with Shooting Star A, 'when you use your bonus action to move the combined star'

I prefer Supernova A over B, it's similar to an at-will Fireball which feels more appropriate for level 15 compared to 3d8 spread over a potentially bigger area, though it will likely make any Sun Soul Monks very jealous.

Also, I believe the language of the Skulker feat confirms my suspicions regarding vision in relation to darkness.

Oramac
2022-10-12, 09:29 PM
Shooting Star B is by far the least interesting, I'd pick A or C since they are both really evocative of the name and provide interesting tactical considerations. I'd probably also specify that you can do this when you initially cast the spell too, so like 'when you produce or move your dancing lights'

Interesting. I was leaning towards Option B, though not b/c of interest or theme, but because it was opposite the combined light of Supernova A (which I also was in favor of). [/quote]

Upon further thought, if you were to give riders to the BA shooting star i'd be tempted to make it player's choice of rider like the Hunter gets to pick their benefits. For example:

(Lower level riders)
- When you detonate a Dancing Light any creature that takes damage suffers disadvantage on Stealth checks and cannot benefit from Invisibility until the end of your next turn.
- When you detonate a Dancing Light the next attack roll made against a creature that takes damage before the end of your next turn has advantage.
- When you detonate a Dancing Light you can choose to expend a spell slot to increase the damage dealt by 1d6 for each spell level higher than 1st (to a maximum of 5d6), and any creature of large size or smaller must also make a Strength saving throw against your spell DC or be knocked prone.
(higher level riders)
- You can choose to detonate any number of dancing lights when you use your Bonus Action to move them
- When you detonate a Dancing Light any creature that takes damage is also Blinded until the start of your next turn
- Creatures other than yourself and allies you designate take Xd6 Radiant damage when they move within 10 feet of one of your Dancing Lights for the first time or start their turn there
- When you detonate a Dancing Light you can choose any number of creatures within range to regain Xd6 HP instead of taking Radiant damage. This healing cannot raise any creature above half their maximum HP.

Or in the case of going with Shooting Star A, 'when you use your bonus action to move the combined star'

I like the riders, but I'm concerned about the overall power level of adding them. Some feel WAY stronger than others. Maybe it just takes a few iterations to get it right.

I prefer Supernova A over B, it's similar to an at-will Fireball which feels more appropriate for level 15 compared to 3d8 spread over a potentially bigger area, though it will likely make any Sun Soul Monks very jealous.

Touche. I prefer A over B as well, but I would like to incorporate something that uses both the un-combined dancing lights and the combined version. Thus my lean toward Shooting Star (B). Though I'm certainly open to ideas for that.

Also, I believe the language of the Skulker feat confirms my suspicions regarding vision in relation to darkness.

Yea. Probably. But realistically, cancelling disadvantage is still a powerful tool, and many DMs don't follow those rules either. IDK. I feel like it needs to have darkvision and the other benefits, but the actual implementation is tricky.

Kane0
2022-10-12, 11:32 PM
Interesting. I was leaning towards Option B, though not b/c of interest or theme, but because it was opposite the combined light of Supernova A (which I also was in favor of)

Meh. It's ranged single target damage for a bonus action, I don't think we are hurting for variety there and warrior types already excel at it. What I want to see is something for people that want to make more involved decisions and people that want some worthwhile AoE on their warrior type, like those who want volley hunter before level 11 or an arcane archer that doesn't run dry after their second turn. Having a star that needs to move through targets to deal damage or a limited number of 'grenades' that you have to carefully place for best effect I think are more interesting and less crowded by other options.

MrStabby
2022-10-13, 08:16 AM
I am going to respond in two sections. he first is just me tinking about what I would do/like if I were to play it. It isn't really important so sticking it behind spoilers... its is more inrospection than recommendation.

I love the idea of making dancing lights the focus of the class - much like the pet is the focus of the beastmaster. I think really playing into that could be fun and also the "stars" element seems nicely encapsulated there.

I guess:

Level 3
Star-dance
You learn the Dancing lights cantrip. This spell counts as a ranger spell for you and when you cast it it has a duration of 10 minutes. When any text is illuminated by one of your dancing lights you can read it as if it were in a language you understand.

Lit by starlight
Whenever you make an attack against a creature illuminated by one of your dancing lights, you may add d6 to the roll.

A bit of a ribbon/support for the ranger in more urban settings. Also a key ablity to boost damage but with the intent to differentiate it from the other ranger subclass abilities to just boost raw damage. Aiming for a feeling of precognition on an enemy's movements rather than raw might. A D6 to hit is no smal bonus and it will stay relevant for much of the game. I am therefore skipping some of the other goodies these classes usually get - like exra spells known.

Level 7
Effortless Illumination
At level 7 your dancing lights cantrip no longer requires concentration. In addition, whenever an ally makes an attack against a creature illuminated by one of your dancing lights tey may also add d6 to the attack roll.

Another boost to the core mechanic. I think giving the ranger a slightly broader role and the ability to buff allies will set it appart from other subclasses. This is a big bonus though and the level 7 ranger abilities are not usually this potent, so it might warrant toning down. Freeing up concenration is a big deal - hough not doing so is a massive burden to the ranger whose best spells are all concenration (hough who knows what might be done with unter's mark in the future)

Level 11
Starsight
When you cast dancing lights having just one dancing light from your dancing light cantrip, any creature or object within its light will have its true form revealed and will not benefit from invisibility or other illusions. This effect will dispell these effects and that creature or object may not benefi from similar effects for one minute. You may use this ability a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus and may regain all uses of this ability after a long rest.

Precognition
You may learn one divination spell from any class list of level 6 or below, this spell is a ranger spell for you. If the spell has the ritual tag, you may cast it as a ritual.

This should maybe be swapped with level 7... not sure. I feel that the concentration free dancing lights might be needed earlier. Something a bit niche, but when the party wants it, it will probably value it quite highly. Precognition is a funny beast - a divination ritual would be good to round things out and a powerful ritual (such as may appear in future) should still be available. This ability then lets you take the ritual that you might not be able to cast with spell slots, which is fine but might read a little conrary to peoples expectations first reading the ability. I also wanted a level cap (again more futureproofing than anything else) so that 9th level divination rituals that might get printed are not available at character level 11.

Level 15
Starshield
Whenever an enemy hits yourself or an ally that is within 5ft of a dancing light with a melee attack, you may use a reaction to end that particular light. If you do, the attacker subtracts D8 from their attack roll which may cause them to miss. If they still hit, subtract the number rolled from the damage dealt and deal that amount of radian damage to the attacking creature.

I wanted to round out on a combat ability. I wanted an abiliy that would still be starlight related but also lean into the whole ranger thing. I think this last ability is weaker than it looks. This proposed archetype leans so heavily on its dancing lights that shutting them off is a not insignificant cost. Recasting dancing lights in combat is a costly action as well. Still, obviating an attack is always nice and a tiny bit of compensation if it doesn't work is still probably OK.

All right!! I've updated the OP with changes, and will post them here as well. Or, more accurately, proposed changes with ideas to chew on.

Shooting Star (A)

Shooting Star (B)

Shooting Star (C)

A looks pretty strong. At-will AOE at low levels is good. I think it is certainly going to be doing more than the other dX to damage level 3 ranger abilities. This needn't be an issue though depending on other elements of balance. On the other hand its a LOT of extra rolling for a modest effect. A few creatures, each to make saves, each to roll damage... and the probability that this is what changes which atack will kill that enemy isn't huge. Faff is fine if the effect is justified, I just feel this might be on the slow side. Adding D4 damage to attacks for exampe is a bit lighter touch as it doesn't need more rolls to hit.

B is much weaker. Compared to other ranger abilities this isn't great - d6 damage, once per turn, on your turn, as a bonus action... and with a save (I think tagging on an attack is better as if any of the attacks hit you get bonus damage).

C Is decent enough and hiting a lot of enemies (sometimes). A situational bonus, but potentially very useful. Consuming the light helps a bit as well.

All of these need to weigh into their balance that you need to have cast dancing lights already. If you are ambushed then thats an action lost, or you go into a fight with no subclass ability. In the dark, you light up your presence... with this in mind the effects should be a little on the stronger side.

For a) you might use something like the spirit guardians methodology, i.e. at start of turn or when someone moves into the area. Less time taken plotting meandering paths. You could make the effect the illuminated area so it has non trivial size. It also means we probably have a better sense of abuses/interactions with an existing commonly used description.

For b)... in some ways its good. Its simple quick, damaging and different from other subclasses. I do think that it warrants a bit more damage though. Maybe D8 or D10? To reflect the cost of the turns spent casting dancing lights and the use of the bonus action... and few other benefits there.

Stargazing (Unchanged)

This is fine. I think that gloomstalker should have the benefit of better darkvision, but a bit of overlap is fine. I think there is a little dissonance between an ability you can use to light up enemies and the ability to see things that are not illuminated. The divination ability is still cool.

This works for me

OK, my issue is a purely cosmetic one - place this ability first in the list so reading it makes a bit more sense. I.e. you don't read about an ability to use a spell you don't know you have first!

Path of Stars (Unchanged for the moment)

I think some of this will depend on what happens at your table. A class ins' weak or strong, but just the interaction with the campaign. If your table allows Tasha's ranger changes then you might want to be tighter. If not, then be more generous with what the class gets.

Starsight

I presume not doing both of these... I do prefer the dice option. The numbers seem about right as well. 6 to 8 encounters per day. Say 7 combat encounters. Lets say these last about 3.5 rounds on average. Call it 25 rounds. Assume you have two attacks per round. 50 attacks per day. Lets assume you use your ability only when you think it will make a difference - say when you are within 3 points of turning a miss into a hit. Lets also assume it takes the first round of combat to get a rough handle on this... say 36 eligable attacks. So about 5.4 attacks per day you might want to use it on... as a crude average. So Prof per day seems about right for using it enough, but not always and it should seem like that extra prof bonus is actually valuable.

Supernova (A)

Supernova (B)

Again, this feels thematically appropriate, and there is precedence for it. It is a 5th level spell a bit earlier than you'd otherwise get them, but it's 1/LR so I don't think it's too OP, personally. Again, looking for others thoughts.[/QUOTE]

So the first one of these... I don't like so much. I think it feels like a slightly less sucky version of the 4 elements monk issue. 4E monk gets fireball but so long after everyone else might get it that it isn't cool anymore. Now this is better and its a bit different... but it still feels like your once per day archetype capstone shouldn't feel like it can be mimicked by another spell (even if upcasted).

I would use as a counterexample the Fiend Warlock 14 ability Hurl Through Hell. A no save control ability for one turn, very flavourful, really solid damage that can be used once per day. If I am going to have a cool archetype capstone that I use once per day, this is what I want. Somehing to remember when i was used in the past and to look forward to using in the future.

The second one of these is better in my eyes. Much better. A configurable pattern of blasts sets this apart from other spells. The blinding effect is something fireball doesn't have. Just 3d8 damage at 15th level is rubbish. Not totally inconsequential... but close to it.

I might suggest something like using the lights to lay out an area and then making a spell attack against eveyone in the area. A few advantages here - 1) it makes it more tactical, using this when you can get advantage will make it potentially much better. 2) It avoids things like magic resistance, further disancing it from AoE spells (it also sucks if your once per day fun ability just does nothing because an enemy saves - an it isn' like you have similar other abilities to fall back on. Keep the save vs blindness maybe?

Oramac
2022-10-13, 11:05 AM
Meh. It's ranged single target damage for a bonus action, I don't think we are hurting for variety there and warrior types already excel at it. What I want to see is something for people that want to make more involved decisions and people that want some worthwhile AoE on their warrior type, like those who want volley hunter before level 11 or an arcane archer that doesn't run dry after their second turn. Having a star that needs to move through targets to deal damage or a limited number of 'grenades' that you have to carefully place for best effect I think are more interesting and less crowded by other options.

Good point. I have an idea for this that also plays off Supernova as well. See below.

I am going to respond in two sections. he first is just me tinking about what I would do/like if I were to play it. It isn't really important so sticking it behind spoilers... its is more inrospection than recommendation.

I love the idea of making dancing lights the focus of the class - much like the pet is the focus of the beastmaster. I think really playing into that could be fun and also the "stars" element seems nicely encapsulated there.

I guess:

Level 3
Star-dance
You learn the Dancing lights cantrip. This spell counts as a ranger spell for you and when you cast it it has a duration of 10 minutes. When any text is illuminated by one of your dancing lights you can read it as if it were in a language you understand.

Lit by starlight
Whenever you make an attack against a creature illuminated by one of your dancing lights, you may add d6 to the roll.

A bit of a ribbon/support for the ranger in more urban settings. Also a key ablity to boost damage but with the intent to differentiate it from the other ranger subclass abilities to just boost raw damage. Aiming for a feeling of precognition on an enemy's movements rather than raw might. A D6 to hit is no smal bonus and it will stay relevant for much of the game. I am therefore skipping some of the other goodies these classes usually get - like exra spells known.

Level 7
Effortless Illumination
At level 7 your dancing lights cantrip no longer requires concentration. In addition, whenever an ally makes an attack against a creature illuminated by one of your dancing lights tey may also add d6 to the attack roll.

Another boost to the core mechanic. I think giving the ranger a slightly broader role and the ability to buff allies will set it appart from other subclasses. This is a big bonus though and the level 7 ranger abilities are not usually this potent, so it might warrant toning down. Freeing up concenration is a big deal - hough not doing so is a massive burden to the ranger whose best spells are all concenration (hough who knows what might be done with unter's mark in the future)

Level 11
Starsight
When you cast dancing lights having just one dancing light from your dancing light cantrip, any creature or object within its light will have its true form revealed and will not benefit from invisibility or other illusions. This effect will dispell these effects and that creature or object may not benefi from similar effects for one minute. You may use this ability a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus and may regain all uses of this ability after a long rest.

Precognition
You may learn one divination spell from any class list of level 6 or below, this spell is a ranger spell for you. If the spell has the ritual tag, you may cast it as a ritual.

This should maybe be swapped with level 7... not sure. I feel that the concentration free dancing lights might be needed earlier. Something a bit niche, but when the party wants it, it will probably value it quite highly. Precognition is a funny beast - a divination ritual would be good to round things out and a powerful ritual (such as may appear in future) should still be available. This ability then lets you take the ritual that you might not be able to cast with spell slots, which is fine but might read a little conrary to peoples expectations first reading the ability. I also wanted a level cap (again more futureproofing than anything else) so that 9th level divination rituals that might get printed are not available at character level 11.

Level 15
Starshield
Whenever an enemy hits yourself or an ally that is within 5ft of a dancing light with a melee attack, you may use a reaction to end that particular light. If you do, the attacker subtracts D8 from their attack roll which may cause them to miss. If they still hit, subtract the number rolled from the damage dealt and deal that amount of radian damage to the attacking creature.

I wanted to round out on a combat ability. I wanted an abiliy that would still be starlight related but also lean into the whole ranger thing. I think this last ability is weaker than it looks. This proposed archetype leans so heavily on its dancing lights that shutting them off is a not insignificant cost. Recasting dancing lights in combat is a costly action as well. Still, obviating an attack is always nice and a tiny bit of compensation if it doesn't work is still probably OK.

This is fantastic! I always want to know how something would be played. That's how this whole thing gains meaning. Otherwise we may as well just be looking at spreadsheets for no reason.

A looks pretty strong. At-will AOE at low levels is good. I think it is certainly going to be doing more than the other dX to damage level 3 ranger abilities. This needn't be an issue though depending on other elements of balance. On the other hand its a LOT of extra rolling for a modest effect. A few creatures, each to make saves, each to roll damage... and the probability that this is what changes which atack will kill that enemy isn't huge. Faff is fine if the effect is justified, I just feel this might be on the slow side. Adding D4 damage to attacks for exampe is a bit lighter touch as it doesn't need more rolls to hit.

B is much weaker. Compared to other ranger abilities this isn't great - d6 damage, once per turn, on your turn, as a bonus action... and with a save (I think tagging on an attack is better as if any of the attacks hit you get bonus damage).

C Is decent enough and hiting a lot of enemies (sometimes). A situational bonus, but potentially very useful. Consuming the light helps a bit as well.

All of these need to weigh into their balance that you need to have cast dancing lights already. If you are ambushed then thats an action lost, or you go into a fight with no subclass ability. In the dark, you light up your presence... with this in mind the effects should be a little on the stronger side.

Ok, so let's assume we choose Option A for the time being. This also satisfies the desire to have an option for both the combined and un-combined dancing lights. How about this (bold text added):

Shooting Star (A1)

At 3rd level your control over the stars heightens. When cast, or when you use your bonus action to move your dancing lights, you may choose one mote or the combined star to burn with searing radiance. The chosen mote or star must move in a straight line, and each creature in its path must make a dexterity saving throw, taking 1d6 radiant damage on a failure. This damage die increases when you reach 5th level (1d8), 11th level (1d10), and 17th level (1d12). Creatures that fail the save are also coated in sparkling stardust, suffering disadvantage on Dexterity (stealth) checks, and they cannot benefit from being invisible until the end of your next turn. The chosen mote or combined star winks out after completing its movement.

My original intent was for it to move in a straight line. It's not really a "shooting star" if it doesn't move in a straight line. It's just a drunk star looking for an Uber. :smallbiggrin:

And in this way it becomes a mini-lightning bolt that encourages tactical thinking and positioning. It also doesn't matter if the player chooses a combined or dispersed dancing lights. Also changed it so the damage die size scales instead of the number of dice. This both reduces the overall amount of dice rolled and the extra damage being dealt, since it would quickly add up (especially with the Expert Class UA Hunter's Mark).

Thoughts?

This is fine. I think that gloomstalker should have the benefit of better darkvision, but a bit of overlap is fine. I think there is a little dissonance between an ability you can use to light up enemies and the ability to see things that are not illuminated. The divination ability is still cool.

I removed the extension if you already have darkvision. I still believe the Starseeker should have darkvision, but you're right in that the Gloomstalker should do it better.

OK, my issue is a purely cosmetic one - place this ability first in the list so reading it makes a bit more sense. I.e. you don't read about an ability to use a spell you don't know you have first!

Done! I'd actually already changed this in my doc. I just didn't update the order in the thread here.

I presume not doing both of these... I do prefer the dice option. The numbers seem about right as well. 6 to 8 encounters per day. Say 7 combat encounters. Lets say these last about 3.5 rounds on average. Call it 25 rounds. Assume you have two attacks per round. 50 attacks per day. Lets assume you use your ability only when you think it will make a difference - say when you are within 3 points of turning a miss into a hit. Lets also assume it takes the first round of combat to get a rough handle on this... say 36 eligable attacks. So about 5.4 attacks per day you might want to use it on... as a crude average. So Prof per day seems about right for using it enough, but not always and it should seem like that extra prof bonus is actually valuable.

Nope. Only the one. The strikethrough is removed. Also, solid estimation, I think. Makes me feel better about keeping it as PLR instead of 1/Rest.

The second one of these is better in my eyes. Much better. A configurable pattern of blasts sets this apart from other spells. The blinding effect is something fireball doesn't have. Just 3d8 damage at 15th level is rubbish. Not totally inconsequential... but close to it.

I might suggest something like using the lights to lay out an area and then making a spell attack against eveyone in the area. A few advantages here - 1) it makes it more tactical, using this when you can get advantage will make it potentially much better. 2) It avoids things like magic resistance, further disancing it from AoE spells (it also sucks if your once per day fun ability just does nothing because an enemy saves - an it isn' like you have similar other abilities to fall back on. Keep the save vs blindness maybe?

Now that I ponder on it a bit more, I'm agreeing that Supernova (B) is the better option as well. I'd dropped the damage down to 3d8 since there are 4 motes to cause damage, though with the line in there about only being affected once, the damage probably can be increased. How does 6d8 sound?

Also, I'm not particularly worried about resistance/immunity. Radiant damage works here for the same reason that Divine Smite works. There's only 14 monsters in the whole game that are resistant or immune to radiant damage, and none of them are monsters that a paladin (or Starseeker, in this case) are likely to be fighting.

EDIT: Played around a bit with Supernova as well, giving the option to use it with the combined or dispersed dancing lights.

Supernova (C?)

Upon reaching 15th level, your control over the heavens is at its peak. You may use your action to cause your combined or dispersed dancing lights to explode with the power of a dying star. Each creature within 10 ft. of one of your lights, or within 30 ft. of the combined light, must make a dexterity saving throw or take 6d8 radiant damage, or half as much on a success. Additionally, creatures that fail the save are blinded until the end of their next turn. A creature in the area of more than one supernova is affected only once. You may use this feature once, and must complete a long rest before using it again.

Kane0
2022-10-13, 05:08 PM
You know this makes me think of the Stars Warlock from 4e, you could transplant some of these concepts into EB invocations to recreate that. I remember there being a Star warlock touched on in UA a few years back but never really went anywhere.

Edit: I like this concept so much I took a version of it for myself. Full credit will be noted!

Level 3: Stardance
You learn the Dancing Lights cantrip, and when you cast the spell the lights do not need to be within 20 feet of each other for you.
In addition, when first cast Dancing Lights or use your Bonus Action to move your Dancing Lights you can also choose to cause one light to burn out with an intense shine. Creatures other than yourself within 10 feet of the light must make a Dexterity saving throw against your Spell DC or take 1d6 Radiant damage. This damage increases by 1d6 when you reach 5th level (2d6), 11th level (3d6), and 17th level (4d6).

Level 3: Stellar Navigation
You are able to view the stars, moons, and constellations regardless of time and location, even on cloudy days, in broad daylight, underground, indoors, etc.
In addition, as a 10 minute ritual you can consult the stars about past, present, or future events. You may ask up to 3 questions about specific events in the past, present, or future, and gain brief glimpses of the events. These glimpses may be images, feelings, words, thoughts, or similar.

Level 7: Starstruck
Select one of the following:
- When you detonate a Dancing Light creatures that succeed on their saving throw still take half damage, and the next attack roll made against a creature that fails before the end of your next turn has advantage.
- When you detonate a Dancing Light you can choose to expend a spell slot to increase the damage dealt by 1d6 for each spell level higher than 1st (to a maximum of 5d6), and any creature that takes damage is also blinded until the end of their next turn.

Level 11: Revealing Gleam
Your Dancing Lights provide the benefits of Truesight within the range of their bright light. Creatures under magical effects that would be revealed by this Truesight can attempt a Charisma saving throw against your Spell DC, becoming immune to the effect for 24 hours if they succeed.

In addition, at night you can cast Find the Path without expending a spell slot or material components, but the spell ends at dawn. Once you use this feature, you can't do so again until you complete a long rest.

Level 15: Eternal Burn
Select one of the following:
- Creatures other than yourself and allies you designate take 2d6 Radiant damage when they first move within 10 feet of one of your Dancing Lights for the first time or start their turn there
- When you detonate a Dancing Light you can choose any number of creatures within range to regain 2d6 HP instead of taking Radiant damage. This healing cannot raise any creature above half their maximum HP