PDA

View Full Version : Wild shape Ranger questions

schreier
2022-10-06, 03:56 PM
If I have a wild shape ranger, does the Fast Movement impact all movement types? Will my badger burrow at 20 instead of 10? Will my eagle fly at 90 instead of 80 (and walk at 20)? Can a leopard walk at 50 and climb at 30? (basically is it every move)

Can my cheetah sprint at 600 in a charge? That could be awesome in a skirmish (especially if they took barbarian 1 for pounce since cheetahs don't get it)

Also - stupid question. Rage ... how does that work with wild shape? It is an extraordinary attack ... is a character restricted by that? They must fight until they die or their opponent does?

Inevitability
2022-10-06, 04:09 PM
Wild Shape is a variant on Alternate Form, Alternate Form states you keep your extraordinary abilities UNLESS they are special attacks that aren't derived from class levels. Fast Movement is extraordinary, but it's derived from class levels and not a special attack (presumably) so you should be fine.

edit: Rage is actually specifically mentioned as an ability you keep under Alternate Form!

The creature loses the natural weapons, natural armor, and movement modes of its original form, as well as any extraordinary special attacks of its original form not derived from class levels (such as the barbarian’s rage class feature).

edit 2: Sprint is a special quality, so you don't get it. There's a feat in Complete Champion that lets you trade wild shape uses for a temporary version of the effect, but it's kind of weak and mostly seen on divine minion builds.

It does not gain any special qualities of its new form.

edit 3: Just realize you probably meant like a badger's rage, yes you get that. Personally I consider the line that specifies permarage a bit unclear, and your DM might argue it's just flavor text that describes typical badger behavior, but I can actually buy the argument that it has a mechanical effect on you. Ask your DM I guess.

Darg
2022-10-06, 09:50 PM
Gain: Wild shape (as druid; Small or Medium animals only), fast movement (as barbarian).

Fast Movement (Ex): A barbarian's land speed is faster than the norm for his race by +10 feet.

It only affects normal movement.

You don't gain the cheetah's sprint ability, as mentioned it is a special quality. However you do get its Trip attack.

A badger's rage is exactly as it says. That said, it only needs to think its target is dead, a calm emotions spell used on it, is knocked unconscious, or some other emotional state ending action/effect to stop raging. So wild shape into a badger with extreme caution.