PDA

View Full Version : Wild Rogue Take

Hytheter
2022-10-07, 07:01 PM
Alright, so we want the rogue to be the undisputed master of skills, right?

(I'm pretty someone, somewhere, said something like that...)

Here's my pitch. We take this:

11th Level: Reliable Talent.
You have refined your talents until they approach perfection. Whenever you make an Ability Check that uses one of your Skill or Tool Proficiencies, you can treat a d20 roll of 9 or lower as a 10.

And we make it like this:

5th Level: Reliable Talent.
You have refined your talents until they approach perfection. Whenever you make an Ability Check that uses one of your Skill or Tool Proficiencies, instead of using the number on the d20 you can use your Rogue level.

Thoughts? Too crazy? Not crazy enough?

Amechra
2022-10-07, 07:13 PM
You could probably give Rogues the full version of Reliable Talent at 5th level without breaking anything.

Cikomyr2
2022-10-07, 07:19 PM
Make it "a number of time equal to your proficiency bonus per short rest" and i think im on board

LudicSavant
2022-10-07, 08:42 PM
Alright, so we want the rogue to be the undisputed master of skills, right?

(I'm pretty someone, somewhere, said something like that...)

Personally, I think martials in general should be better at skills than they currently are.

IMHO, characters should contribute to all pillars, but in different ways. For example, a tank, healer, and damage dealer are all contributing to the combat pillar -- none is "the undisputed master of combat." They're all good at combat in different ways.

Likewise for non-combat stuff. I'm wary of the mindset of "skills are for Rogues, fighting is for Fighters" because it relegates fighters to second-class citizens outside of combat. Casters don't have to deal with this divide. Martials shouldn't, either.

Person_Man
2022-10-07, 09:18 PM
Seems fine. My only concern would be if there ends up being secondary crunch tied to Skills. For example, an attack, spell, or feat where you needed a skill check to succeed. (And even then I wouldn’t automatically be opposed. Just skeptical).

Chronos
2022-10-08, 07:20 AM
I could get on board with that. As-is, you don't get to start playing a rogue until 11th level.