PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Character Benchmarking Tool

Bruenin
2022-10-08, 11:16 AM
Hello Everyone!

A while back I was reading the Bench-Pressing: Character Creation by the Numbers (https://rpgwillikers.wordpress.com/2015/09/29/bench-pressing-character-creation-by-the-numbers/) article by RPG Willikers. The TL;DR is that the article goes into how to approximate a characters general effectiveness as compared to the average monster statistics by CR (http://legacy.aonprd.com/bestiary/monstercreation.html) as provided by Paizo. I thought it was a really neat idea especially since I'm prone to overindulging in weird ideas and accidentally leaving some big weakness in my builds. I wanted a way to quickly check how a character stacked up against different CR and so I created a visual google sheet that would calculate all that for me and use conditional formatting to display a nice clean graph.

https://i.imgur.com/6GiG7dh.png

I wanted to share the google sheet with you all. The link I'm providing is for a view only version so if you want to use this for yourself you would need to go to File and then Make a Copy or Download to create your own that you have edit access with. Towards the bottom of the google sheet you will notice a tab that will let you see the average monster statistics by CR where all the math is based off of.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NVaB_2jMbbZ-avJCfRqxgOwmFyyIa78x-XHsMY0yM54/edit?usp=sharing

miss chance: Does nothing just there for keeping track of it if you care

DR: toggle to allow it to impact HP thresholds or not, may not be completely balanced or well thought but it seemed odd that DR wouldn't change how much HP you'd need to get through an encounter

Row Highlight in CR Table: The CR table automatically highlights which CR you have selected for easy reference of the base stats

Adding monster CR information: The table only goes up to CR 20 but you can add more by just adding columns to the average statistics table. All the function calls check the entire column so functionality should remain. You will also need to either remove data validation on the CR input or increase the legal range for it. I didn't include up to CR30 because it seemed a little excessive and conditional formatting is a pain to do row by row

If you have any questions on the logic or math then the article linked above should be a solid read and I highly recommend you check it out. If that's a bit much to read the very simplified way to follow the graph is as follows:

red = bad
orange = okay
green = good
blue = excessive

Please let me know if you have any ideas to improve this or if you found some use for it. I mostly threw this together because I thought it was neat but I would love if other people got something out of it!

NullInternet
2022-10-09, 02:32 AM
Is it possible to edit the monster values ourselves? After all, the newest version of the bench-pressing table (from 2020, I believe; that version also includes CMB and CMD) use the actual bestiary stats instead of the monster creation table, so being able to at least put in those stats ourselves would be nice.

Eldonauran
2022-10-09, 09:53 AM
That is incredibly helpful. Thank you for the time/effort you spent on this, and for sharing it.

Bruenin
2022-10-09, 06:20 PM
Is it possible to edit the monster values ourselves? After all, the newest version of the bench-pressing table (from 2020, I believe; that version also includes CMB and CMD) use the actual bestiary stats instead of the monster creation table, so being able to at least put in those stats ourselves would be nice.

Yeah, I have the sheets protected so people don't accidentally change values but on your personal copy you can just remove it by going to Data then Protect sheets and ranges and just deleting the protection. You might not have to do this since you should have edit permissions. Do you have a link for the newest version of the bench-pressing table? I might update the google sheet in the next couple weeks if it doesn't seem like it'd take too much effort

NullInternet
2022-10-09, 09:53 PM
Unfortunately, I don't have a high enough post count to link to it directly, but if you search for "pathfinder bench-pressing 2020" or something like that, you should get the Reddit post talking about it (which includes a link to the table itself) on the first page.