PDA

View Full Version : Search: Story Prompt Cards?

Necrosnoop110
2022-10-08, 11:56 AM
Looking for cards for PCs that give suggestions and prompts for actions. A broad spectrum that covers combat, exploration, social, and role-playing would be nice. Anyone have any suggestion?

ETA: I want cards that would say something like "Try and trade something with the next NPC you encounter" or "In the next combat engagement attempt to trip an opponent" etc.

Reversefigure4
2022-10-08, 05:24 PM
What's the purpose of the cards? Are you trying to incentivize players to take different types of actions? Are you offering XP or Hero Points or something for them?

If you're only trying to list different options without incentivising them, a single page 'cheat sheet' with all their options on it may work better.

Necrosnoop110
2022-10-09, 12:07 AM
What's the purpose of the cards? Are you trying to incentivize players to take different types of actions? Are you offering XP or Hero Points or something for them?

If you're only trying to list different options without incentivising them, a single page 'cheat sheet' with all their options on it may work better.

(1) Hero Points. (2) Motivation for reluctant PCs/get things moving/get PCs to try new things. (3) My PCs love slick looking cards. We use crit, fumble, chase, monster, item, cards. They want to be handed something.

Reversefigure4
2022-10-09, 09:51 PM
I'm not familiar with any professionally made product like this. The closest I've seen are Plot Twist cards ("An NPC falls in love with you!") which isn't quite the same thing.

I think you'd have to make them, particularly to match whatever system you're using.

Combat should be simple - go through all the Special Combat Actions section and write a card for Trip, one for Grab, one for Multi-attack, etc.

For social I'd look at the book's social skills section: I it says Deception can be used to seduce, disguise, cheat at poker, and write false contracts, put a card for each usage.

Exploration will be a harder one, since it's very dependant on environmental opportunities. "Find food" is pretty standard, but "dive into the ocean" isn't really useable in the middle of the jungle.