PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Mix-and-Match Skill Proficiencies

Xihirli
2022-10-08, 10:08 PM
I love being able to apply proficiencies to ability scores they're not usually applied to.

A few of my favorites are Charisma (Investigation) replacing the old Gather Information check, Strength (Animal Handling) to embody goatherd-Link from Twilight Princess, even the odd Constitution (Survival) check for long wilderness treks.

What are some mismatched ability score / proficiencies you've all employed?

kazaryu
2022-10-09, 12:30 AM
I love being able to apply proficiencies to ability scores they're not usually applied to.

A few of my favorites are Charisma (Investigation) replacing the old Gather Information check, Strength (Animal Handling) to embody goatherd-Link from Twilight Princess, even the odd Constitution (Survival) check for long wilderness treks.

What are some mismatched ability score / proficiencies you've all employed?

i've done both wisdom and charisma (persuasion) checks for various approaches to...well, persuasion. intellgence for a more logical/fact based approach. and wisdom for an approach thats more focused on sying what the target wants to hear.

i've done charisma (stealth) checks for blending into a crowd.

Xihirli
2022-10-09, 12:35 AM

Ooh, I love that one!

OldTrees1
2022-10-09, 01:40 AM

Yeah, Cha(Stealth) is iconic. I have used it for when the goal is to be unnoticed socially rather than invisible physically. Hiding who started a rumor. Being unnoticed in a crowd. Or hiding in plain sight as a beggar/leper/other ignored group.

icedraikon
2022-10-09, 01:48 AM
Had a DM use Intelligence (Sleight of Hand) for tying knots, tying people up, etc

Tanarii
2022-10-09, 03:10 AM
For the variant rule, IMO the key thing to remember is the question to be resolved, which determines the base ability check involved. The proficiency could be anything that reasonable applies.

So for example, you shouldn't use a physical ability check to recall something, become aware of something, or influence someone just because you have a mental/social proficiency related to a focus of one of those things. Nor should you use a mental ability check to brute force something, finesse something, or resist something just because you have a physical proficiency related to a focus of one of those things.

So Dexterity (History) can be used to apply your historical knowledge of a certain lock type to circumvent it. But it shouldn't be used to recall historical lore about famous dancers.
Intelligence (Athletics) might apply to deducing the best way to apply a jump, climb, or grapple to solving a problem. But it wouldn't apply to jumping, climbing or grappling because you've deduced a superior way to do it. (The first should probably grant advantage on a second Strength (Athletics) check.)

Some standard ones I use:
Strength (Acrobatics) to jumping with twist to clear something mid jump.
Constitution (Athletics) after exceeding the Dash limit of 3+Con times. (House rule to replace the standard Con saves).
Intelligence (Medicine) to deduce cause of death.

In addition to already being discussed, I've always held that Charisma (Stealth) would be a good surprise check alternative for an assassin in a crowded ball-room influencing a person to see you as part of the crowd. Or Dexterity (Deception) for a sudden burst to start combat after somehow putting someone at their ease with a distraction of some kind. To be clear on that, I'm not a fan of allowing surprise in Mexican standoffs by declaring first attack, but if you can make it so someone doesn't view you as a threat before you catch them off guard, it's a substitution that can make sense.

Psyren
2022-10-09, 01:31 PM
Definitely the two that are mentioned in the PHB - Strength (Intimidation) for barbarian browbeating, and Constitution (Athletics) for marathon feats.

I'd also definitely be open to Intelligence (Medicine), Wisdom (Religion), and Charisma (Stealth) for hiding in a crowd.

MrStabby
2022-10-10, 02:33 PM
In addition to some of the ones mentioned...

1) strength/thieves tools for prying open a sarcophagus with a crowbar

2) charisma/arcana for persuading someone you are an expert in arcana (et al).

3) strength/stealth was a niche one for moving a heavy chain without it clanking

4) intelligence/performance to write a play or book

5) charisma/history to sell an artifact to a collector for a good price (convincing them you know its worth).

6) charisma/investigation to pump someone for information