PDA

View Full Version : Custom Spell for my Bard

Nidgit
2022-10-09, 12:07 AM
Hi all! My Bard has requested that I let her create a new spell to take. She wants the ability to pick a soundtrack for a fight and use that to give all allies advantage and/or enemies disadvantage on rolls. Obviously that's quite strong, but my party's about to hit 13th level so higher level spells are on the table.

So, I'd like the forum's input on exactly what spell level is appropriate (I'm thinking 6th or 7th), which rolls should be eligible to receive advantage/disadvantage (attack only?), and any other considerations (probably concentration for 1 minute). Thoughts?

Jervis
2022-10-09, 12:34 AM
Personally I’d make it level 5 and let party effected characters roll a d6 and add it to attack rolls, saving throws, and skill/ability checks. Basically a super bless. Mathematically it’s about 10% weaker on average but does increase mods in a pretty substantial way. Concentration for a minute or if you wanna get funky the duration of the song to a maximum of 5 minutes

kazaryu
2022-10-09, 12:36 AM
Hi all! My Bard has requested that I let her create a new spell to take. She wants the ability to pick a soundtrack for a fight and use that to give all allies advantage and/or enemies disadvantage on rolls. Obviously that's quite strong, but my party's about to hit 13th level so higher level spells are on the table.

So, I'd like the forum's input on exactly what spell level is appropriate (I'm thinking 6th or 7th), which rolls should be eligible to receive advantage/disadvantage (attack only?), and any other considerations (probably concentration for 1 minute). Thoughts?

here's the thing...landing a spell like faerie fire already guarantees advantage and its really low level. ofc it does require a save so its not 'free'. idk....tbh before even considering this, you may want to consider the impact it could have on play. are the players tactically minded? one of the relatively few tactical choices a party can make is ways to arrange for advantage. letting them just..have it for a full minute for free (well, yeah high level spell slot) could end making combat more stale. again, thats really only a problem if they're tactically minded players...but its something to consider.

now i realize that doesn't exactly answer the question...although answering the questions you asked is hard just because thats not a custom spell i'd even consider allowing...at any level.

Tawmis
2022-10-09, 12:57 AM
I kind of imagine it being a bard doing a solo concert, trying to get the crowd going.
It's essentially just faerie fire effect (targets who benefit get advantage) for as long as the bard is singing (up to 5 minutes) and keeping their concentration.

Ballad of the Bard
1 evocation
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 60 feet
Target: Any target that can hear the bard
Components: V
Duration: Concentration, Up to 5 minutes (Singing)
Classes: Bard
The bard can target an equal number to their level to gain the benefit of this spell; each target that can hear the bard feels so inspired by the music, that they become laser focused and move at what seems to be a faster speed (or are the enemies moving at a slower speed?) - allowing the bard's allies to gain advantage on attacks for as long as the song is playing.

Kane0
2022-10-09, 01:07 AM
4th or 5th level enchantment, action casting time, concentration for one minute

Choose up to 6 creatures to recieve advantage or disadvantage (your choice) on the first attack, check or save they make on each of their turns until the spell ends.

Upcasting: additional 2 targets per spell level higher

If too strong, require the bard to use their bonus action on each turn after casting to continue the song, so no inspiration on top of this spell. I dont think it'd be necessary though.

Nidgit
2022-10-09, 01:11 PM
here's the thing...landing a spell like faerie fire already guarantees advantage and its really low level. ofc it does require a save so its not 'free'. idk....tbh before even considering this, you may want to consider the impact it could have on play. are the players tactically minded? one of the relatively few tactical choices a party can make is ways to arrange for advantage. letting them just..have it for a full minute for free (well, yeah high level spell slot) could end making combat more stale. again, thats really only a problem if they're tactically minded players...but its something to consider.

now i realize that doesn't exactly answer the question...although answering the questions you asked is hard just because thats not a custom spell i'd even consider allowing...at any level.

The majority of my party is not terribly tactically minded, so I don't think persistent advantage would be too dull.

That said, looking at existing spells, the desired effect could be somewhere between Circle of Power (advantage and [Evasion] on all magical saving throws) and Holy Aura (advantage on saving throws, disadvantage for enemy attack rolls, and a Con save for blinding on attacking friends and undead). So, for instance, advantage on saving throws and disadvantage on enemy attack rolls within a fixed 30 foot radius for 1-5 minutes.

Damon_Tor
2022-10-09, 01:35 PM
Theme Song
4th level enchantment

Casting Time: Bonus Action
Components: Verbal OR Material (A Musical Instrument)
Range: 60 feet
Duration: Concentration, up to one minute.

Your music inspires supernatural competence in your allies. For the duration of the spell, you can use the help action as a free action a number of times per round equal to your spellcasting ability modifier plus your proficiency bonus. The range of a help action taken this way is equal to the range of this spell. While concentrating on this spell you must continue to perform its verbal or material components continuously, occupying either your hands or voice for the duration, which may limit your ability to cast other spells.