PDA

View Full Version : Caster level of items for Spell resistance

schreier
2022-10-09, 10:52 AM
If I have a +1 bow with splitting and enfeebling, it is a +5 weapon. Enfeebling is listed as CL 5. To make a +5 weapon you need CL15. Is it CL 5 or 15 for purposes of overcoming a target's spell resistance? Is there a way to make it 15?

I see mention of that as a minimum CL, but it seems like it might be feasible to just increase the CL during creation without any additional cost but it isn't clear to me.

Darg
2022-10-09, 03:13 PM
Caster Level

The next item in a notational entry gives the caster level of the item, indicating its relative power. The caster level determines the item’s saving throw bonus, as well as range or other level-dependent aspects of the powers of the item (if variable). It also determines the level that must be contended with should the item come under the effect of a dispel magic spell or similar situation. This information is given in the form "CL x," where "CL" is an abbreviation for caster level and "x" is an ordinal number representing the caster level itself.

For potions, scrolls, and wands, the creator can set the caster level of an item at any number high enough to cast the stored spell and not higher than her own caster level. For other magic items, the caster level is determined by the creator. The minimum caster level is that which is needed to meet the prerequisites given.

Item abilities don't have separate caster levels, it uses the caster level of the item. The creator of the item determines its caster level. So you can create custom items with higher caster levels or receive one with higher caster level, but in general random loot will use minimums.

schreier
2022-10-09, 03:14 PM
So a splitting (+3) enfeebling (+1) +1 bow (equivalent of +5) would be CL 15 for enfeebling, correct? That would give it 1d20+15 to overcome SR of targets.

Darg
2022-10-09, 03:22 PM
So a splitting (+3) enfeebling (+1) +1 bow (equivalent of +5) would be CL 15 for enfeebling, correct? That would give it 1d20+15 to overcome SR of targets.

Yes. I should mention that the SRD is wrong in the quote above; while the caster level is set by the creator, that just means the creator determines what abilities are on the item.

For other magic items, the caster level is determined by the item itself. In this case, the creator’s caster level must be as high as the item’s caster level (and prerequisites may effectively put a higher minimum on the creator’s level).

Basically you can't just make a 20th caster level +1 longsword for example. My earlier answer was predicated on the accuracy of the SRD.

Coventry
2022-10-12, 10:02 PM
If I have a +1 bow with splitting and enfeebling, it is a +5 weapon. Enfeebling is listed as CL 5. To make a +5 weapon you need CL15. Is it CL 5 or 15 for purposes of overcoming a target's spell resistance? Is there a way to make it 15?

I see mention of that as a minimum CL, but it seems like it might be feasible to just increase the CL during creation without any additional cost but it isn't clear to me.

Clarifying: to make a weapon with an actual bonus of +5 requires CL15. Even with the modifiers, your bow is only +1 which only requires CL3. Of course, it takes CL5 to get the crafting feat, and CL7 to put splitting on it. You still end up spending the money equivalent to that of a +5 weapon, though.

The crafting rules do not specify how to increase the CL, so you are off to the "look for similar price" rules. Other CL15 effects on magic weapons tend to be priced as a +3 bonus (see "Roaring" in BoED). Strength damage is really powerful when it lands, so as DM I would use that price.

spectralphoenix
2022-10-12, 10:16 PM
The caster level of a weapon with a special ability is given in the item description. For an item with only an enhancement bonus and no other abilities, the caster level is three times the enhancement bonus. If an item has both an enhancement bonus and a special ability, the higher of the two caster level requirements must be met.

So in this case, you have three different caster level requirements - +1 (3rd), splitting (7th), and enfeebling (5th). The result uses the highest CL among them, so the bow is CL 7. All of its powers operate at the item's CL, so you get +7 on the check to beat SR.