PDA

View Full Version : Holy Transformation, Lesser spell & becoming and Outsider type, what happens?

Mars Ultor
2022-10-09, 05:15 PM
A PC Cleric just got the spell Holy Transformation, Lesser and I'm unsure how this works. The spell says he gains "many of the qualities and abilities of a protectar (Miniatures Handbook 66)." Then it lists several things like darkvision, flight, etc. Does he also gain the feat (Combat Casting) that the protectar has? I'm assuming he doesn't, but I'm not sure.

I'm also making the assumption that the protectar's ability to fly is tied to the creature's wings, meaning that he can't fly in somewhat enclosed spaces where his wings don't have room to extend and flap. Is that the case? Or are they mainly for show and he can zip around however he likes?

Another part of the spell is that his type becomes Outsider. It looks like the PC would get the weapons proficiencies, darkvision, and other traits, but how about the features? Does his Hit Dice change? Does his Base Attack Bonus change? I'm thinking probably not, but again I'm not sure.

Finally, it says the PC assumes the physical appearance of the protectar. Does that mean the PC looks like himself but with the Outsider's physique and wings, or does he actually become bald and have a different complexion as well?

Beni-Kujaku
2022-10-09, 05:23 PM
While under the effect of the spell, your creature type changes to outsider (good), and your size changes to Medium. You have the space and reach of a protectar (5 feet/5 feet). You gain a +2 sacred bonus to Strength and Constitution. You gain a fly speed of 60 feet (good). You gain darkvision out to 60 feet. You gain a +2 sacred bonus on saving throws. You gain the ability to speak and understand Celestial.

That's all there is to it mechanically. Your PC doesn't gain any bonus feat, but gains outsider traits, including weapon proficiency. Hit dice, saves and BAB are not recalculated unless the effect says so, so you keep your basic stats (and even then, it would only change your racial hit dice, not your class levels). Your PC does become bald and looks like a protectar in all regards (except equipment, of course). When a creature has wings and a flying speed, you generally assume they use their wings to fly, yes.

Mars Ultor
2022-10-10, 02:50 PM
Thank you.

tyckspoon
2022-10-11, 11:07 AM
I'm also making the assumption that the protectar's ability to fly is tied to the creature's wings, meaning that he can't fly in somewhat enclosed spaces where his wings don't have room to extend and flap. Is that the case? Or are they mainly for show and he can zip around however he likes?

You'd think this mattered, wouldn't you? But D&D doesn't actually concern itself with wingspan or the space required to unfurl and move wings - if a creature has enough space for its normal body, it has space enough to fly. The closest thing to a requirement for creatures that 'need space' is the various restrictions on maneuvers for creatures with Average or worse flight capability - the requirement to maintain a minimum forward speed, only able to turn X degrees per Y amount of movement (so they have to travel in wide arcs if they want to change their direction of travel), etc.... which may end up causing a creature to crash if it tries to fly in a too tight space, because while nothing stops it from using its Fly speed it may not have enough open space to keep its minimum forward speed or to maneuver around obstacles.

Beni-Kujaku
2022-10-11, 01:57 PM
You'd think this mattered, wouldn't you? But D&D doesn't actually concern itself with wingspan or the space required to unfurl and move wings - if a creature has enough space for its normal body, it has space enough to fly.

Indeed. Flying without wings is actually more of a drawback actually, since such flight is generally (Su) and is suppressed in an antimagic field, contrary to flying using wings.