PDA

View Full Version : Campaign with no full casters

5eNeedsDarksun
2022-10-10, 04:09 PM
Just thought I'd start a thread about my experiences in a current campaign with no full casters and also see if anyone else out there has tried this and how they found it.

We're currently 13th level and the party consists of my Assassin 11/Cleric 2, a Ranger (Gloomstalker) 13, a Battlemaster/ Rogue, and a Barbarian/ Rogue. The player with the Barbarian/ Rogue started with an Artificer who ended up dying, so we would have had another 1/2 caster. We're going through a somewhat modified (beefed up) version of Tomb of Annihilation and our (more or less rookie) DM is planning on getting us to around the end of tier 3 by the conclusion.

Some observations:
1) As you might imagine, the absence of high level magic that might shift the type of campaign possible has meant we're not playing a significantly different game than characters would normally play in tier 1 and early tier 2. I'm thinking about the absence of things like teleports, which would trivialize or eliminate entirely parts of the game.
2) Low level magic is still relevant. My Bless spell continues to be great as does Healing Word; I could use a few more slots though. The Ranger is our biggest source of spells and might have multi-classed in a different group, but access to 4th level magic is pretty attractive under the circumstances. Pass Without Trace is obviously excellent when we have been able to use it
3) Magic Items become really valuable. For example, I've got a full set of Prayer Beads and a Fear Wand. The Fear Wand gets us effectively some AOE, which we're really lacking and the Prayer Beads provide a few spells way beyond what I'd normally have access to. Greater Restoration has been used a number of times. One other note on the Prayer Beads: They are amazing on a martial with a Cleric dip. The fact they cast on a BA means you've got your full Attack action left, which is generally going to be significantly better than the Cantrip that a full Cleric would be using most of the time.
4) This one is more related to our lack of an obvious 'face' character, but moderate Chr and Expertise for both my character and the Rogue/BM in different Cha based skills, as well as a couple of different languages have meant we've been able to cover the social pillar well enough. Other mundane skills get used more regularly as well, since we can't just push the spell button.
5) We don't have a lot of healing. Cautious play, trying to put our characters in position where damage will be distributed fairly evenly, and 5e's very generous rest rules make this usually not an issue.

I think this has lead to a game where our newer DM has been able to manage into tier 3, where with a more normal group of characters he might have struggled. We know that games often peter out around the end of tier 2 for a number of reasons; perhaps this approach might help some groups. For me personally, I have enjoyed playing my character, but the presence of the magic items I mentioned earlier has given more options and helped a lot.

Anyway, just wondered if others out there have experienced this sort of game and how it went?

animorte
2022-10-10, 05:00 PM
Yes. I’ve mentioned this several times in various different threads on caster vs. martial discussion, spell progression, new UA play test material, etc.

I’ve been DM and PC in separate adventures that had no full casters (and several one-shots). It was one of the best experiences I’ve ever had. There were still good blasting moments and trivial encounters. There were plenty of times when the answer was a spell-cast away, but just as many others that required a bit more teamwork.

This also helps to have a table of people (players and DM alike) that are in it to have fun and actually care to communicate amongst one another. Of course, the people can make or break an entire game whatever the other circumstances may be.

It also can depend on what kind of campaign you’re running. Pre-made campaigns can tend to expect specific responses and solutions to certain problems set-ups. We primarily find ourselves in homebrew adventures, many can be inspired by other sources.

I don’t remember exactly what all the classes were during our longest run, perhaps I’ll find the character sheets later and contribute that information.

sithlordnergal
2022-10-10, 05:20 PM
I've never really played a game with no full casters...I have played a game where I was the only caster and it wasn't very fun. Mostly because I had to do literally everything magical, and had to stretch myself too thin. This was also a high magic campaign, where teleportation circles, flying ships, and mages are super common, and we were often dealing with extra-planar threats. Which meant I was the only one who could get the party to where we needed to go.

Leon
2022-10-10, 06:56 PM
Have over time both played and run games with no full casters and they have always been good. When running them you adapt thing as needed to suit ~ one game the party would hire a junior cleric if they thought they might need divine support beyond what they had with scrolls and potions.

This was also a high magic campaign, where teleportation circles, flying ships, and mages are super common, and we were often dealing with extra-planar threats. Which meant I was the only one who could get the party to where we needed to go.

One would think if its a "High" magic game and magi are super common there'd be a lot of utility magic items about unless it was a "High Elite Magic" game.

Kessel
2022-10-10, 06:56 PM
I haven't tried it before. But it sounds like a hoot.

Snowbluff
2022-10-10, 07:18 PM
I'm currently running one right now. Mostly because my players don't even really feel the need to ruin my game with game mechanics (they ruin it in other ways), it's not hugely different from my games that have a full caster. There's nothing to report here, since my games already run on a middling power level as is.

Everyone has at least a common magic weapon, however. We started at five so I ensured that much. I do remind people they can short rest for healing as well.

deadman1204
2022-10-10, 07:19 PM
Works just fine. The guy who runs most games in my group HATES casters. Starting at lvl 5-7 basically everything gets legendary saves and becomes immune to anything that isn't straight damage. Heck, last game he started making things immune to illusions. So unless you play a blaster, you cant be a caster.

So we rarely have casters in our games because of this.

Person_Man
2022-10-10, 08:03 PM
Seems very similar to playing low to mid level games of old editions of D&D. Healing and hit points were more limited, and careful decision making was a bigger part of the game. The goal of the game was really exploration and acquiring treasure, and combat was something you actively avoided.

So I wholeheartedly approve! Enjoy it while you can. Its a rare thing to see in 5e games.

PallyBass
2022-10-10, 09:25 PM
Works just fine. The guy who runs most games in my group HATES casters. Starting at lvl 5-7 basically everything gets legendary saves and becomes immune to anything that isn't straight damage. Heck, last game he started making things immune to illusions. So unless you play a blaster, you cant be a caster.

So we rarely have casters in our games because of this.

Why not ban the types of magic that the DM does not like instead?

PallyBass
2022-10-10, 09:32 PM
I have not played in a party without at least one full caster, usually 2 or more in party of 5. The idea of a low magic campaign sounds very enticing, it would be refreshing to depart from the standard fantasy fare of most campaigns and try running one with such restrictions in the lore. I am thinking of Conan the Barbarian: the campaign

Tanarii
2022-10-10, 10:25 PM
How many enemies do you face in what you would think of as a typical fight?
What's the most you've ever handled?

Curious because of the lack of AoE effects. I've personally found that groups with almost no AoE will have trouble with swarms of slightly weaker enemies. Not enough that it doesn't balance out across the adventuring day, but IMO certainly shows martials with some occasional lower level AoE capability exist for a reason.

5eNeedsDarksun
2022-10-11, 12:42 AM
How many enemies do you face in what you would think of as a typical fight?
What's the most you've ever handled?

Curious because of the lack of AoE effects. I've personally found that groups with almost no AoE will have trouble with swarms of slightly weaker enemies. Not enough that it doesn't balance out across the adventuring day, but IMO certainly shows martials with some occasional lower level AoE capability exist for a reason.

I don't think a typical fight changes that much from a typical party. We have so much single target damage, much of it ranged or hooked to good movement, that we're able to take out the big threats pretty quickly in most cases. Non-undead swarms that my Cleric can't send packing were definitely a problem before we got a couple of magic items with AOE. We had one battle with about frog critters (green ones, red ones, blue ones) at mid levels and I wasn't sure how it was all going to end. We managed to kill the spell-casters who were making a real nuisance, and the rest had pretty poor attack rolls without magical assistance and finally surrendered. We can still be vulnerable to some combos; I don't think our new DM is actively exploiting the weaknesses as deliberately as he might, and sometimes circumstances just seem to crop up that neuter some of us. Magical darkness is enough to make things difficult.

sithlordnergal
2022-10-11, 11:41 AM
One would think if its a "High" magic game and magi are super common there'd be a lot of utility magic items about unless it was a "High Elite Magic" game.

There were a lot of utility items! But they tended to items that allowed you to use or protect yourself from Divination spells. Handy, but not really useful when you need to travel between Planes