PDA

View Full Version : Silly questions about hideaway weapon and wilding clasp (and vestment of many styles)

schreier
2022-10-10, 08:32 PM
OK .. I'm working on a wild shape ranger ... using crossbow (I'm using the hand crosssbow focus / great crossbow aptitude abuse with boomerang daze, splitting, and enfeebling) -- it's a higher level game (14), and we were able to buy off 2 LA, so I went with Xen'drik drow because they're pretty cool from a fluff perspective.

I have a crossbow sword bayonet as a drow long knife. Made it +1 smoking. If I make the crossbow "hideaway" from MIC, do you think it can shrink with the dagger attached? What about a crystal? Can it be cocked and loaded then shrunk?

Also - wilding clasps ... they keep things from melding and I guess they make it so the gear fits after wild shaping? It used to be limited to a few slots, but no longer seems to have that restriction. Does a wilding clasp on boots prevent you from making claw attacks? Same with gloves ... curious how gloves would work with a bird form too.

How do people work them in general (The wilding clasps that is)

One more question - vestment of many styles ... how flexible do you see it? Would it just be pants/shirt/robe? Could you add cloaks, etc? Should it add circumstance bonuses to conceal at all? (black cloak at night, etc...) It could conceivably add bonuses any outfit would, no?

Here's my attempt at a figure for him (https://www.heroforge.com/load_config%3D34922312//)

TristanS
2022-10-11, 06:54 PM
My thoughts ..
Hideaway works on the weapon with the crystal but probably not the bayonet (although I could be talked into it as if it were a double weapon)

Wilding clasps - from what I've read they just keep the item from melding... I believe nonarmor resizes so it depends on if you can wear boots as a dog or whatever. I'd get anklets instead to enchant personally

For the vestment- would rule that any non masterwork outfit could be duplicated (kind of like shapesand)

schreier
2022-10-12, 07:54 AM
On the crossbow ... I think I lean with you - it is attached but separate, and does not benefit from any of the enchantments on the crossbow in general so would be tempted to not have it "hideaway"

That makes sense on the wilding clasps ... it literally just says "prevents the worn item from melding into your new form when you use wild shape (as long as the item could reasonably be worn by the new form). Thus, the item remains fully functional and can be used normally in your new form.

So they will just stay unmelded but don't change form or anything. So boots/sandals might not work great for a lot of forms. Good to get harness instead of vest, anklet instead of boots, etc ...

For the outfits, I would think things like color and design would be possible, maybe weight of fabric so desert outfit (from sandstorm pg 101), jungle outfit (secrets of xen'drik pg 138), black bodysuit (arms and equipment guide pg 30) ... so some minor +1/+2 circumstance bonuses to hide in certain cases where the coloration matters, maybe a slight benefit to saves (cold weather clothes, etc ) for being appropriately dressed. Also definitely would allow cloak/cape/poncho type item to try and remain less obvious / hide in general