PDA

View Full Version : Shield = Armor Right?

elyktsorb
2022-10-10, 08:50 PM
Just came into a scenario where the only armor my character would be wearing is a Shield, a Shield counts as armor for the purpose of effects that require armor right?

Like, if you had Defense Fighting Style and were wearing a Shield, it would be active?

kazaryu
2022-10-10, 09:00 PM
Just came into a scenario where the only armor my character would be wearing is a Shield, a Shield counts as armor for the purpose of effects that require armor right?

Like, if you had Defense Fighting Style and were wearing a Shield, it would be active?

i don't believe so no. evidence: monk unarmored defense specifically calls out whether it allows shields. further, it would be kind of silly for features like draconic resilience to not function just because you picked up a shield.

however, it probably wouldn't break anything, ask your DM what they think.

Mellack
2022-10-10, 09:06 PM
No, a shield is not counted as wearing armor.

Sage advice said: Shields are grouped with armor in the equipment rules in the Player’s Handbook, but various game features distinguish between the armor you wear and a shield you wear.

animorte
2022-10-10, 09:12 PM
No, a shield is not counted as wearing armor.

Sage advice said: Shields are grouped with armor in the equipment rules in the Player’s Handbook, but various game features distinguish between the armor you wear and a shield you wear.

More precisely, the various game features distinguish between the armor you wear and a shield you wield.

Skrum
2022-10-10, 09:14 PM

Yeah, what everyone else said. Shield is not armor. Yet another reason Tortles end up with worse AC. Their splint might be free, but it can't get better.

PhantomSoul
2022-10-10, 09:16 PM
More precisely, the various game features distinguish between the armor you wear and a shield you wield.

I was going to highlight this difference in terms, but since that's been done I'll supplement with PHB 144 that emphasizes a contrast:

Armor and Shields ... The Armor table collects the most commonly available types of armor found in the game and separates them into three categories: light armor, medium armor, and heavy armor. Many warriors supplement their armor with a shield.